Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at the Shrock sliders and was wondering how people found them for climing in and out in wet/icy conditions. I have two young kids who will be using them to climb in and out and was thinking of applying some anti skid tape / paint to the step areas.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Skateboard deck tape is cheap and easy to find. There are rubber treadd pads at autoparts stores

QUOTE=kellymcdonald78;1472170]I'm looking at the Shrock sliders and was wondering how people found them for climing in and out in wet/icy conditions. I have two young kids who will be using them to climb in and out and was thinking of applying some anti skid tape / paint to the step areas.

Thoughts? Recommendations?[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Also I would look at White Knuckle and have them flatten out the angle to allow for a better step. You can even have them add plate to step on.
It works as an amazing step! But if the powder coated plate that they use is even 1/2 as slippery as the rails it will still be broken ankle central! I am waiting for warmer weather and no road salt to put on some grip tape on my WK sliders

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
when i put my sliders on, i cut some grip tape (you can get it at the hardware store for a few bucks) and rounded the corners so it looked like it was supposed to be there. no more slick rails when its raining. I'll try and get a pic at lunch.

dirty, but here it is:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when i put my sliders on, i cut some grip tape (you can get it at the hardware store for a few bucks) and rounded the corners so it looked like it was supposed to be there. no more slick rails when its raining. I'll try and get a pic at lunch.

dirty, but here it is:

Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
yep, it's a very effective hair removal tool. not unlike the epilady.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Sooo..... anyone found grip tape that DOESN'T road rash your legs?
I need something for the top of my rear plate bumper (and probably sliders too), but I KNOW my girl will scrape the crap out of her legs when sitting in the back hatch area and probably when trying to slide out of the truck with a dress on... that'll go over REAL well on a nice date night.

Here's the things I've found in my searching....

I swung by Lowes Home Improvement and they only had one brand... which would SHRED skin. Great for something that wouldn't ice over quickly though.
This was too harsh...
https://www.lowes.com/pd/SKID-GUARD-Reflective-Mineral-Abrasive-Anti-Slip-Tape/3185621
https://www.lowes.com/pd/SKID-GUARD-Black-Mineral-Abrasive-Anti-Slip-Tape/3183197

Is all skate board tape harsh? I saw some clear stuff on amazon, and thought clear might have a chance at being less abrasive.
https://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-Sheet-Grip-Tape/dp/B004UOKLHO/ref=sr_1_14?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1478547227&sr=1-14&keywords=grip+tape&th=1

Maybe something intended for pool steps? Should be UV safe, OK on bare skin, and maybe available in a roll.

Bathtub stuff.... not found yet in a large/wide size. No black (dug). Clear? Should be smooth enough for bare skin and smooth enough to avoid dirt stains (assuming its made to clean mold off with a sponge)
For someone with a Storm Trooper X, these would actually work quite well....
SlipX Solutions 7.5 in. Safety Treads in White (24-Count)-03722-1 - The Home Depot
Drive Tub and Stair Safety Treads (Pack of 8)-en 33 - The Home Depot
Clear bathtub stuff.... but kinda weird in ovals/squares.
SlipX Solutions Adhesive Oval Treads in Clear (21-Count)-03811-1 - The Home Depot
SlipX Solutions Adhesive Square Treads in Clear (21-Count)-03821-1 - The Home Depot
Clear bathtub stuff... but only 3/4in wide x 14.5in long. I was kind of hoping for wider to protect the vinyl and hopefully leave less seams to gather gunk/dirt and start peeling up.
SlipX Solutions 14.5 in. Safety Treads in Clear (8-Count)-03724-1 - The Home Depot
Maybe the best so far.... clear, 3m brand, 2in wide (would prefer wider... but maybe)
https://www.amazon.com/Safety-Walk-Shower-Tread-2-Inch-180-Inch/dp/B009NP1N0Y/ref=pd_sim_60_9?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=0DMQHE0S0M1J731Y62X1

Stair step clear 3m 2in wide roll.... but $50
https://www.amazon.com/3M-Safety-Walk-Light-2-Inch-60-Foot/dp/B000Y0ZXDK/ref=pd_sim_60_6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=V7R4DGKV239NT2230W18

MAYBE a spray on bed liner? I'm hesitant towards this because my rear bumper is actually vinyl wrapped and there is a chance it won't cooperate with spray on paint/liner.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
I use this on my sliders, rear bumper and Gobi ladder rungs. Works great and has held up for 7 years so far. BUT: to answer your question it will scratch you nasty if not careful. It's basically like 60 grit sandpaper. Maybe you can find something more like 400 grit for a little grip but less harsh.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I use this on my sliders, rear bumper and Gobi ladder rungs. Works great and has held up for 7 years so far. BUT: to answer your question it will scratch you nasty if not careful. It's basically like 60 grit sandpaper. Maybe you can find something more like 400 grit for a little grip but less harsh.

Yes, and yes. I use it on my sliders as well and has held up through a few PA winters. I recommend as well. However, as Surf said, it can hurt you. I have a scar on my leg from slipping in the mud at last ECXC and falling into the X. haha.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts