Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have this weird noise coming from my X that I just can't find a thread on that sounds like it may be it. Ok, so the noise is a low type of humming/whirling sound when I'm moving. Just started about a month ago. I can hear it louder when the windows are up. And have found out it's either not making the noise at all or barely audible when the temps are warmer. The colder it is outside, the louder it is. And it kind of modulates with the throttle, not a totally constant sound. Like the sound pulsates, sort of, with letting off of the throttle. Sorry for the weird descrpition, but I've never heard it in any other vehicle, and I'm lost on what it might be.

I've read a bunch of threads and can't find anything that's close. It's not a grinding sound, or high-pitched. I've tried to even record it on my phone, but can't really even make it out.

I have a 2010 S 4x4 auto with about 62,000 miles. It's not pulling or anything. Drives perfectly fine.

·
on line
1,113 Posts
do you wheel at all, I got some dirt and mud in my alternator and serpentine belt and I got a whine from it, but pulsating makes that sound like it might not be the culprit.

·
on line
1,739 Posts
I have also had a dirty alternator. One easy test is just to remove the serpentine belt - super easy, just grab a 3/8" socket and twist the tensioner pulley counter clock wise and remove the belt. Start up the truck and listen for the sound. If it's gone, start checking the pulleys that are attached to the serpentine. I was able to tell my alternator was out just by spinning it with my hand.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't wheel much, but where my mom lives it's a long dirt road, last time I was there it was really muddy. I'll check the belt and alternator as soon as I get a chance, probably monday morning.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts