Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

(Another) Trailer Weight/Size Question ?

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  TKX 
#1 ·
The plan (approved by the CEO/Wife) is to sell the pop-up trailer and pruchase a regular travel trailer. We are 2 + 1 pooch, amd we are looking for something in the 20' range with a decent bed, no additional bunks or permanent beds necassary.
I've spotted a used 2006 Fleetwood Pioneer 190FQ with a front queen bed. it also has a 3 burner stove and oven, a full bath, and a seperate nook (seperate from the front queen bed) which are also on my list. The specifications state a 3700 pound dry weight.
I was initially trying to find something in the 3000 pound dry weight, but it's been hard to find something in that weight that has the options I'm wanting (especially a 3+ burner stove and oven).

This 3700-ish dry weight seems to be about the average of what we've seen. Any longer trips would be made as dry as possible, shorter weekend trips would likely be weighed down a little more. The Xterra has a 2" Nisstec AAL lift, I have the wiring and brake controller installed, and will be installing a secondary tranny cooler in the spring and am pondering timbren's or air bags as a possible requirement also. I will also be purchasing a weight distribution/anti-sway hitch.

My only concern is to make sure I do not abuse my Xterra, but from what I've read and seen here it seems as if towing a trailer this size and weight (sensibly) should not be a real issue.

Yes, I've searched and read most of the travel trailer threads here, but since there does not look like their has been a new one today (yet) I thought I'd start one. Any experianced based advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again, and have a great weekend all.

See less See more
#5 ·
Of course the rest of the load counts towards that 5k, and that 5k is without a lift. As far as abusing the x it will be fine, the x can probably tow loads similar to the frontier load of 6.3 to 6.5 without wearing the vehicle excessively. It's a safety thing if I'm not mistaken,ie softer rear end springs and shorter wheelbase.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#6 ·
With the price of fuel escalating, for no apparent reason other than to gouge the consumer,
my wife and I are seriously looking at the Alto F1743 trailer to scoot about this beautiful continent of ours. It is by far not a chateau on wheels, however, for a 17ft. trailer that weighs in at 1800lbs. with all bells and whistles, we believe our Xterra can handle the task easily without giving me more white hair than I already have! lol.
Link to site: http://www.safaricondo.com/alto1743/indexeng.php
The beauty of this trailer are the huge windows and completely constructed with composites and aluminum. It's really Euro style design with it's simple lines and décor.
It also seems quite aerodynamic in design, so pulling this puppy seems like it would be a breeze in cross winds or strong head winds.

#11 ·
The short wheel base causes alot of issues,especially at highway speeds and wind ,tail wagging the dog....I have a 19ft hybrid that is 3500 dry and for me I wouldn't go much bigger unless you are only towing on flat ground. Plenty of power but it works hard on hills. The aal will help but you may want to look into airbags or new springs,I have hd ome packs and they made a big improvement. You'll need towing mirrors also for sure. Ohhhh,expect horrible gas mileage,8-10 mpg also.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.