Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched a number of threads on ticking noise, but none that sounds like mine. When the engine is running (truck parked) I can hear a faint tick (cyclical, like 2 times a second) in the engine bay, coming from the driver's side, near the radiator.

-The rate of the ticking doesn't vary with engine RPM
-I can't hear it when I'm sitting in the truck, even when parked
-It doesn't go away whether engine is cold/warm, and outside temp doesn't seem to affect it either.
-It's faint enough that you can only hear it if you're near the front of the hood.
-happens even when engine cooling fan is not on
-Truck is stock, no mods

It makes a sound similar to when a plastic fan blade gently strikes a nearby part of the same material (e.g. it's not a metallic noise).

Truck is otherwise running fine, but I do want to take it in to have it checked out. Thought I'd get some input from you all before hand.

Thanks

·
on line
2,044 Posts
i would use chevron injector cleaner just to see if its your injectors .... otherwise take a long tube and place one end to your ear and the other to search through engine area for source of sound. you can place it over the spark plug module just to see if its coming from there.....
another but doubtfull is to remove your engine belt and spin the pulleys to see if you have a bad bearing

·
on line
350 Posts
I have the same thing or something very similar. Always just assumed it was normal. I have no issues with performance and gas mileage is on the high end of what I would have expected, so Ive assumed its no problem.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update...

Updating this thread in case it helps others....my dealer diagnosed it as a bad serpentine belt. They replaced the belt and the tensioner. No more ticking. Covered under powertrain warranty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts