Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i know xterras are meant to be aggressive and offroad looking with lifts etc but curious if there are any lowered ones on here? my xterra is 2wd and im looking into the option of putting bags on it and taking it to the ground....
so really looking for some rides with bags on them.

ive seen the green monster i call it that was a 1st gen xterra bagged and bodied dropped with a huge ass motor but have yet to really see work done to a 2nd gen xterra like that etc.....

let the knocking begin lol

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm not into lowering ANY vehicle. But there is a black first gen driving around in Framingham MA. It is lowered and I think he had spacers on the tires. The tires stuck out past the quarter panel. It looked good good if you like that kinda thing.
I don't know who he is but I have waved to him a few times. Maybe he saw my Nexterra and X2 stickers and decided to check out the site. Sorry, can't tell you more.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well im into bagged vehicles and lowered ones. i had a 96 s10 fully bagged and traded it in for a 06 envoy. im now debating should i do the envoy which i have seen a handful done or be different with the wow factor and go with the xterra. still have time to decide and my mind will be flipped more times than i can count before it actually goes down. i was just trying to see if there were more xterras out there etc lowered or bagged so i can get more of a visual, esp the 2nd gen models.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I think if you put 22's or 24's on your X and lower it an inch or 2 you could have a good look for a 2wd X. I have never seen one though. Lowering the back would be as easy as adding a block in between the axle and leafs.

Just don't do this

These wheels need another 2" of tire.
umm for one i wouldnt do it like that.... the chrome doesnt go with that color and the tires are too small esp with all the gap in the wheel-well. gap has to go.

anyways.

its on 22s rights now but with a 2" lift lol. currently the ride is my wifes but she plans on next year getting a new car so i have to decide which vehicle i want as my daily (envoy or xterra) and the other will be parked and become a full on project.

leaning towards the X for the WOW factor being it is rarely done lowered let along laying on the ground.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Haven't seen any 2nd Gens done that way ... personally wouldn't mind seeing one done right (4-link, bags, body clearancing for full tuck, etc ... cut & channel for a body drop if you want to go crazy). There's a few of us that can always appreciate good fab work, and that's what it'll take to get any traction on this forum ... most guys here aren't going to be very receptive to the lowered look, so you've got some headway to make up there, if you go forwards ... I.E.: if you're looking for stance appreciation just based on the look, you've come to the wrong place (sorry).

I think PRG has some lowering/performance suspension bits for the Frontier/Titan guys, may want to give him (Greg) a call, they're all on the same platform so front suspension components are interchangeable.

ETA: Given that you're working with a 2wd, you've got a bit more flexibility in front ... since you don't have to work around the front half-axles and try to maintain their clearances. Could go for a full-fabbed drop spindle that would move the hub up a bit, maybe? The undercarriages of these trucks are pretty well tucked, so you don't have to worry (much) about stuff that'll hit before the frame does ... but I think you may have some work cut out to clearance the body if you're going to try and lay it on the ground. At the rear, depending on how you decide to lower over the leaf-sprung axle, you may have to relocate the fuel tank (if you go for a full 4-link ... you may be able to get away with leaving it if you keep the links *really* short) ... at the very least you'll have to move the spare, but I bet you knew that already.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Its up to you but I think lowering SUV's and Trucks makes them look stupid as hell.

I have never been into that crap.

Not saying people do not enjoy it because there are hundreds of thousands of people that do this. I just do not think this is the right forum to discuss ghettoing an Xterra...lol

Its your truck so have fun with what you want to do with it. Take my opinion as just my opinion and not trying to sway you away from what you want to do.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haven't seen any 2nd Gens done that way ... personally wouldn't mind seeing one done right (4-link, bags, body clearancing for full tuck, etc ... cut & channel for a body drop if you want to go crazy). There's a few of us that can always appreciate good fab work, and that's what it'll take to get any traction on this forum ... most guys here aren't going to be very receptive to the lowered look, so you've got some headway to make up there, if you go forwards ... I.E.: if you're looking for stance appreciation just based on the look, you've come to the wrong place (sorry).

I think PRG has some lowering/performance suspension bits for the Frontier/Titan guys, may want to give him (Greg) a call, they're all on the same platform so front suspension components are interchangeable.

ETA: Given that you're working with a 2wd, you've got a bit more flexibility in front ... since you don't have to work around the front half-axles and try to maintain their clearances. Could go for a full-fabbed drop spindle that would move the hub up a bit, maybe? The undercarriages of these trucks are pretty well tucked, so you don't have to worry (much) about stuff that'll hit before the frame does ... but I think you may have some work cut out to clearance the body if you're going to try and lay it on the ground. At the rear, depending on how you decide to lower over the leaf-sprung axle, you may have to relocate the fuel tank (if you go for a full 4-link ... you may be able to get away with leaving it if you keep the links *really* short) ... at the very least you'll have to move the spare, but I bet you knew that already.
great insight there...... im sure if i went with bags it will be nothing but fab work since there are no kits for these trucks. spare tire will be gone completely. as far as the gas tanked i knew it would either have to be raised if possible or a complete fuel cell would have to be built but would be nice to try and keep it. only way i can see keeping is doing crazy wishbone to keep it out of the way but yet keep the pinion angle the same etc... so many things to consider

as far as the last opnion i just gotta lol at the ghettoing out comment.... its not a donk

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I lived in LA when low riders were first starting to come out (late 60's) - yeah, I'm old. I understood doing that to a car - seemed pretty cool. I remember a guy who lowered his car (Monte Carlo or Riviera, whatever) and to keep the trans from scraping the ground, he wired a piece of cardboard under the trans pan. Even at 8 years old, I thought "That's going to wear off after just one hit"... My first experience with ghetto modifications.

When ppl started lowering trucks in the early 80's, I had a lifted Toyota 4x4 - pretty much the same one as in the first Back to the Future movie lol. I hated the lowered look on trucks. Thought it was so pointless. Even made a bumper sticker that said "Low Trucks Suck".

Now, with everyone going to big rims and lowered vehicles, I still think it's a total waste. I laugh seeing an old Chevy car with 22" rims. You know the owner spent more money on the rims than the car... absolute ghetto. I can't imagine any girl wanting to go out with a guy that has a ghetto-mobile... doesn't say much about the girl.

With that said, and realizing that it's your Xterra. It's up to you to do what you want and I'm sure there's SOMEONE out there making drop spindles, bags, etc., for your ride. I doubt you'd find much info here tho. All I see is people interested in using their X as it was designed - as an off-road vehicle.

But, if you want to get all wiggidy-jiggity with bling, blaring your fav 50 cent tune in your lowered X with spinners and fuzzy dice on the rear view mirror, go for it. Don't forget the chain link steering wheel (so you can drive with handcuffs). lol

BTW - just bustin your chops... welcome to the internet.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol i gotta laugh at the thought of lower vehicles ghetto... but hey think what you guys want.

as far as my taste with going to the ground with the xterra, my thoughts are i want a clean ride. not going ghetto. will be done right and tasteful as if nissan could produce it just like i did with my s10 looked stock but definitely moddified etc. im also one now that i dont want to do what the next guy is doing. been there done that with the s10.... seemed like every show i went to there were more s10s than you could count. granted the envoy not many out there bagged laying out but there are still enough done to not really have the "wow/different" factor when rolling into a show.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
So tell me guys, how would you describe the following:
Link to build thread: http://community.ratsun.net/topic/7446-project-mx520-top-secret/page-1

Or this one: http://community.ratsun.net/topic/38453-bobtail-620/ ... images seem to be attachments and not directly linkable via BB-Code, so forgive me if you can't see them without registering. It's a shorter thread, though, only about 27 posts; so not a ton to wade through to get pics.

Here's another good thread: http://community.ratsun.net/topic/28056-body-dropped-72-521/page-1, post #271 for some 'finished' pics ... but I suggest reading the whole thing if you have time.

... and one more for good measure: http://community.ratsun.net/topic/22191-1977-620-kingcab-deluxe/page-1

In my opinion, these are all what would be considered "slammed" trucks - and Datsuns, no less!! ... but the effusive assertion that any such truck is worthless or pointless or even worse "ghetto'd-out" (wtf? :scratch:) ... I just ... I don't even ... :banghead:

Why don't we give the guy a chance to show us what he's capable of, before we go dumping all over his ideas and interests?

OP, care to enlighten us with some concepts about what you might have in mind for a 2nd Gen Xterra build? Some comparables, maybe? Or, if this place isn't where you decide to host a build thread, Ratsun could be a good alternative ... if you take it over there, shoot me a link.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
In my opinion, these are all what would be considered "slammed" trucks - and Datsuns, no less!! ... but the effusive assertion that any such truck is worthless or pointless or even worse "ghetto'd-out" (wtf? :scratch:) ... I just ... I don't even ... :banghead:
What is a "truck" for? Hauling things? Towing things? Being driven where a car can't go? Or is it just another shape of vehicle?

I'd LOVE to see any of these slammed trucks haul a load, pull a trailer or drive on a rough road. It's all about looks for most of these owners. It's an "art" to them. I think there are two groups of people - one that loves the "art" and the other than pay no attention to art, just function.

Look at 99% of the threads on this site. They are about making something function better. God knows how many times we've read posts about how much mall crawlers are made fun of. This topic is no different. It might as well have been about how to make a mall crawler - all looks and no function.

I understand "to each his own" and if this guy wants to slam his X, by all means he should.

I see stuff like this one (given, it's very extreme) as completely pointless. It's like getting grilles for your teeth... but neglecting child support payments...

Definition of ghetto...

Even more ghetto... complete with police chasing him...

·
on line
10,980 Posts
I see what you're saying ... but if it's quality fab work and if not engineering, then at least intelligent/elegant approaches to design (in the form of getting what you want out of a package not originally designed for it ... wait, that sounds familiar), can we not appreciate the 'art' for what it is?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts

I couldn't resist... :)

·
on line
8,599 Posts
He's asking for help on ideas for suspension. If your not a fan of what he's doing then please don't post nig orang comments. If you don't like it then move on!
With that being said, I'm a firm believer in of lowering 2wd and lifting 4wd!
Here's my old project I had for a while.

I miss it, but it wasn't very practical at the time. I was more interested in 2 wheels.
I lowered it 6" front and back. It was as low as it could possibly be with out bagging it.

I'm sure it wouldn't be to hard to find a ridetech shock/bag combo that would fit the front. As for the rear you could probably find a basic 4link that would fit if you mounted it inside the frame rails.
Here's a pretty sweet universal link kit.
http://www.ridetech.com/store/universal-hd-4-link.html
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
1,431 Posts
What is a "truck" for? Hauling things? Towing things? Being driven where a car can't go? Or is it just another shape of vehicle
your xterra isn't a truck, it's an SUV. I think this could turn out pretty cool. If it's done right, it'll definitely be unique. Keep us updated!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
BTW - I'm just giving the OP some sht. Good old ribbing because he asked what he did. In all seriousness, he'll probably end up with a cool looking X if it is done right.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts