Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
on line
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been plagued with the symptoms of the engine hesitating, stuttering, and it will just die.

It started only doing this at idle, but has begun doing it while traveling. Turning and decelerating.

It did this once and then a heater hose ruptured and blew coolant everywhere. I replaced 2 of the 3 heater hoses and replaced coolant with Nissan Coolant. No idea if this has a connection or not.

I also replaced the ecm relay in the ipdm, and no change was noticed. I've noticed other strange noises as well under the hood.

For 1 when I hooked my battery up after replacing the reservoir tank hose and starting it I get this noise that initially I thought sounded like loud stray electricity. This sound seems to go away after running a while but its awful. No idea if this is connected to the stalling issue either.

I've read tons of threads about potential issues and I don't want to throw parts for no good reason so I'm most likely going to need to take it to get a diagnosis. I have zero codes, logged or pending.

9/10 times it starts right back up. Other times it cranks longer and starts. And once it took about 5 minute rest to turn over. Seems like most symptoms begin when its warm.

There is also a very loud audible click when key goes from on to off under the hood that I didn't notice prior as well.

I had the coil, wires, and plugs done approx 30,000 miles ago. No signs of SMOD

2008 Xterra S with 135,000 miles

Mystery sound

Any ideas.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
matic s is trans fluid, not coolant!

based on the video it sounds like the timing chain tensioners are bad and allowing the timing chain to vibrate(wrong word) due to too much slack. that could effect timing. however if that were the case you'd probably be throwing codes and id be surprised if it ran at all.

when you rev it up is there a loud roaring noise? like a supercharger?

·
on line
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol true story, It's the Nissan Green coolant. I'll edit that out when I get to the computer.

I'll rev the engine and listen, I dont notice a supercharge whine from the drivers seat when moving.

·
on line
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is a video of me reving up the engine. I don't personally think it sounds like a super charger whine, but perhaps I'm wrong. I also saw another thread where someone compared the sound to the likes of swallowing marbles which sounds right. Never did see a result from him. Could this be what a shot bearing on an alternator sounds like and would that cause random stalling. I'm considering taking the serpentine belt off and run it to see if that narrows down all those pulleys. Is that a wise idea or, not so much?

·
Registered
2006 Xterra SE
825 Posts
The second video sounds more like timing chain slap, but I've got poor audio on this device.
You can try removing the serpentine belt and running the engine to see if its belt driven like a bad pulley bearing.
You can remove the left side plastic access cover on the timing case to see if the guide has slipped or check for looseness.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Too loud to be the timing chains IMHO. Seems like something driven by the belt has a bad bearing - tensioner, alternator, etc. As mentioned, pull the serpentine belt and see if it goes away?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Any time you have a odd not consist issue with a vehicle a good place to start looking for answers is your battery cables and connections. A bad ground can lead to all sorts of problems . Cut back the sheathing on the wires to make sure there’s no corrosion in the inside .

·
on line
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any time you have a odd not consist issue with a vehicle a good place to start looking for answers is your battery cables and connections. A bad ground can lead to all sorts of problems . Cut back the sheathing on the wires to make sure there’s no corrosion in the inside .
That's indeed where I started, the negative terminal was noticeably loose even completely tightened. I installed a new brass marine terminal connector. Thought that would have been the cause for random stalling, but no luck.

·
Registered
150 Posts
That's indeed where I started, the negative terminal was noticeably loose even completely tightened. I installed a new brass marine terminal connector. Thought that would have been the cause for random stalling, but no luck.
I would still cut back the sheathing and make sure both cables aren’t corroding from the inside , especially with having a loose connector it can cause the wires to get hot and start to deteriorate .

·
on line
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Call me crazy, but I'm starting to believe this was a failed oil filter. I went out to undo my belt to see if I could localize the noise. Pop the hood and started to no abnormalities. This was a day after doing an oil change.

No crazy rattle sound and I just drove it nearly 2 hours and not a single issue. Odd

Time will tell I guess, there are a few threads with similar issues.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
The second video sounds more like timing chain slap, but I've got poor audio on this device.
You can try removing the serpentine belt and running the engine to see if its belt driven like a bad pulley bearing.
You can remove the left side plastic access cover on the timing case to see if the guide has slipped or check for looseness.

I didn't know you could just take a peek through an access panel!! ( i know ill need to the Timing chains at some point but haven't yet done a ton of research on the process). I'd love to be able to get my eyes on the tensioner and see how worn it is.

·
Registered
2006 Xterra SE
825 Posts
I didn't know you could just take a peek through an access panel!! ( i know ill need to the Timing chains at some point but haven't yet done a ton of research on the process). I'd love to be able to get my eyes on the tensioner and see how worn it is.
It's just the main tensioner that is visible through the panel though, but that's the one typically responsible for chain slap. the cam chain tensioners that wear prematurely arent visible unfortunately until you take the whole front cover off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been plagued with the symptoms of the engine hesitating, stuttering, and it will just die.

It started only doing this at idle, but has begun doing it while traveling. Turning and decelerating.

It did this once and then a heater hose ruptured and blew coolant everywhere. I replaced 2 of the 3 heater hoses and replaced coolant with Nissan Coolant. No idea if this has a connection or not.

I also replaced the ecm relay in the ipdm, and no change was noticed. I've noticed other strange noises as well under the hood.

For 1 when I hooked my battery up after replacing the reservoir tank hose and starting it I get this noise that initially I thought sounded like loud stray electricity. This sound seems to go away after running a while but its awful. No idea if this is connected to the stalling issue either.

I've read tons of threads about potential issues and I don't want to throw parts for no good reason so I'm most likely going to need to take it to get a diagnosis. I have zero codes, logged or pending.

9/10 times it starts right back up. Other times it cranks longer and starts. And once it took about 5 minute rest to turn over. Seems like most symptoms begin when its warm.

There is also a very loud audible click when key goes from on to off under the hood that I didn't notice prior as well.

I had the coil, wires, and plugs done approx 30,000 miles ago. No signs of SMOD

2008 Xterra S with 135,000 miles

Mystery sound

Any ideas.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, just a couple questions: have you cheked the power steering to make sure its full?
Another is question : if you turn the ac on does the sound get worse or go away?
Heres a old trick to find a noise taught to me by old greek manhanic: if you take about
21/2 to 3 foot piece of heater hose (new) place one end next to your ear and take the other end
without hitting the fan you can probe around the area where you think the sounds the loudest to narrow down the
and pin point the sound location. If it is timing chain slap you should really hear it louder if you place that hose end
on the cover. To me this sounds like the pin roller bearings have gone out on the power steering. left me know.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
1.Pull the serpentine belt while the engine is cool and crank your xterra up.

This will solve the question of " Is the sound internal or not"

If it's an external noise

2. Replace your serpentine belt with a new one.
Continental now sells the serpentine belt which was once the Goodyear gatorback. Very quiet

Noise remains

3 . Follow the tips on this link. Serpentine belt noise

·
on line
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The horrendous ticking noise is gone, but not the stalling issue. After further investigation under the car I definitely have what I assume an oil leak.

I can only see it from the passenger side on from below the ground. There is a droplet on the center and I can see oil seeping around the block.

Its impossible to see where it's coming from, if its dripping down or if it's a gasket. No oil is getting to the ground, but it does smell like burnt oil and I still smell coolant, but see no visible leaks tracing that around.

Crap picture because it's hard to access.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
What resolved your ticking noise?

I suspect your oil leak is dripping on top of your exhaust heat shield and cooking under its heat. A minor oil leak for sure, but the smell of burning oil would be pungent.

Check your valve covers for a potential leak.

Additionally, I might pull the plugs to see if the area around the top of the spark plugs are free of oil residue.

There are spark plug o ring seals built into the valve covers of our engines. When these seals go bad, oil can enter and contaminate our spark plugs. I have heard of instances in which this issue would cause stuttering/stalling.

Ps: If your going to check on this issue, you may as well change your plugs anyway.

·
on line
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As an update I took the Xterra to a shop to see if they could diagnose the issue. They call me after 6 hours and can't find anything.... The oil remants on the engine I was told is normal as its coming out the drain plug. They cleaned the throttle body and did the relearn. It doesn't feel 100% but its been almost a week and hasn't stalled.

Also, the ticking noise comes and goes, I'm going to have to track that down.

·
on line
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Damn truck is trying to kill me. Obviously throttle body was not the issue. Today while driving on the highway @ 70mph the 4wd light flickers, the graphic goes blank and the transmission stutters hard. Did this until I slowed down and stalled on the highway.

Nervous as hell made it to where I was going and then it once again drove fine home. Wtf

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
man idk that sucks.

sure sounds like some kind of connection is at least part of the issue.

could it be that one bridge connection in the trans that has to be soldiered back on? other on here know more about that than I do.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts