Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
on line
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well while I'm waiting for the first 3 tires to dry (spare) I thought I would write about how it's going, etc... SexTerraPA has a GREAT how to and I followed it spot on. The only thing I was worried about was the temperature. So what I did was go ahead and bring the wheels in the house, sanded, taped, and cleaned them (PITA!!!!!!!), then I borrowed a co-workers space heater, well it's just a little fan that blow hot air, nothing to serious. I went out to the garage, took the wheels out there and started spraying. I waited about 5minutes between coats, but to combat the cold, I help the little fan over the wheels during the 5 minute wait, and everything looks great so far. I finished spraying the wheels about 12:00 and I'm gonna put them back on about 5:00 so I can go ahead and get the front 2 wheels in the house to warm up, then start the process over. I think it's going to look great and the how-to thread is AWESOME, but I might want to add one little note.

If you have a lab, make sure they have a HUGE bone to play with before starting this. I don't know how many times I had to literally push her out of the way from the sniffing.

Anyway, sorry this is so long, as I don't have anything left to do but wait. I'll post pics as soon as it's up

Oh, and do you think 5 hours is long enough???

·
on line
707 Posts
As long as they are warm I would think 5 hours should be ok as long as you are careful. Mine were cold and I only waited a couple hours before putting them back on. Mine were still pretty soft, probably due to the cold weather and only a couple hours and I managed to gouge one of the wheels with the zipper on my coat. I think it probably takes a full day before they are really dry though.

·
on line
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hendrixfan said:
As long as they are warm I would think 5 hours should be ok as long as you are careful. Mine were cold and I only waited a couple hours before putting them back on. Mine were still pretty soft, probably due to the cold weather and only a couple hours and I managed to gouge one of the wheels with the zipper on my coat. I think it probably takes a full day before they are really dry though.
but the good thing with this mod is, just hot em with more spray :laughing6:

·
on line
360 Posts
cool to hear you got this mod in the works, anxious to see the pics!

I believe I waited 5hrs before throwing mine back on (in cold weather with propane heater in the garage) and the paint has held up great.. just a little rock rash that I'll touch up this spring/summer

·
on line
117 Posts
so, contenderv07, How did they turn out??? do you have pics? I am thinkin about doing this mod my self.
Do you have to take the tires off? Or can you leave them on the mask them off real well?

·
on line
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
everything is coming together pretty well. I got the front 2 wheels off yesterday and left them in the house to warm up the metal. I MAY have torn something in my shoulder getting the stupid lugs off, was pushing then, POP, heard something, but I trudged on and got them off. My wife got hit by them while she was going to work (5:00 AM):laughing6: I had then in a pretty odd area with no night light, she trips on them and hurts her shoulder, I didn't know this at the time, but I noticed some orange stuff on our wall, and she called me to tell me it was her OJ when she tripped on the wheel.

As for finishing, I have done all of the sanding, cleaning, and taping (well the hard taping). I just have to mask it off with newspaper and hose it down. I'm trying to warm up the garage right now, but the wheels have been sitting inside all night. Pics soon to come

·
on line
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
***UPDATE*** last coat has gone on and is sitting in the garage right now (with a little space heater thing on them :laughing6: I think I'm gonna wait a couple of hours, then put them outside to bake for another 3-4 hours (thank goodness the sun finally deceided to come out). Hopefully around 4:00 EST I'll put them on and get pics

·
on line
1,891 Posts
Hey contender, when I get back from the desert, wanna help me with this one? Maybe we could get a mod day for the ENCXC crew if anyone is interested in doin this mod, I figure it's cheaper then buying new rims (I've been pricing them on my off time out here).

·
on line
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
not a problem!!!! It wasn't very hard...time consuming yes, but not very hard. I think mine took some extra time because of the temp outside, moving it back and forth from the garage and hand sanding them. When are you getting back???

·
on line
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sounds good to me, but first and foremost stay safe until then, then we can raise a little hell when you get home

·
on line
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
all of it costs be around $50, that was for acetone, 3 cans of duplicolor, tape, and sandpaper, not bad considering wheels are atleast $120 a pop

·
on line
1,891 Posts
ok, cool, won't have to completely justify this mod to the wifey.
:evil3:
Besides, she loves hangin out with the ENCXC crew, especially when she isn't the only girl there.

·
on line
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well here it is, I am really pleased on the way it looks and for the money you can't beat this mod, and in the first pic it's not paint, just junk :laughing6:

Again thanks to SexterraPA for the writeup, and thanks to EDGE for photoshopping this for me

·
on line
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yea it looks good although to me, it looks naked without the rack and spare. I would LOVE to get one of those gobi's but dayum, they're pricey

1 - 20 of 25 Posts