Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I couldn't get a good answer out of a search.

What is the final word on shims with the Deaver AAL? I know some people need them and others don't, would it just be wise to install it from the get-go to save aggravation down the road? Having the shim can't hurt anything, correct?

It seems that a lot of people who need shims have both an AAL and a shackle, and seeing as a shackle will inherently change the pinion angle, I am led to believe that the shackle is the reason the shim is needed, and not the AAL.

Who has ONLY an AAL, and still needed a shim? And how much of a shim did you need? 2 degree, 3 degree?

Where can you buy shims? Anyone have a link?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am a Frontier guy, and we haven't run into any of these problems. I may be helping a buddy lift his X in the future, and want to make sure we get it right the 1st time.

·
on line
331 Posts
Also the people who do not need them are saying they do not need them because they do not experience any vibration but the truth is anyone who installs the deaver add a leafs is changing the drive line angle and should install the shims to alleviate stress created by the increased angle.

·
on line
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where would someone go about buying shims?

·
on line
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Creek said:
hey steve...you should come to R. Creek this coming weekend. And yeah, check your local spring shop. I got my shims and U-bolts from a local shop for around $40
I was thinking about it, but I have been crazy busy lately, so I'm not sure. Maybe I could just come Sat. or something. I'm not sure yet. If I do, I'll invite my buddy with the X, he wants to stealth his wheels on Sat., but maybe he'd come wheeling, even just to ride along.

Any of you know any 4x4 fab shops in the area? After 2 yrs. I still have my partially completed sliders, well... only partial completed. I need to get them on ASAP.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
I have personnally installed over 80 sets of these springs and not one has ever needed shims, about 20 of them with shackles (mine or other brands) and still no xterra has ever needed a shim or had vibration. We have about 500 sets of these in service now and so far about 10 people, to my knowledge, have installed shims, wether needed or not. Only 4 people have actually had a vibration (again, i have not been able to check the vehicle myself as these were all customers in other states) and shims seemed to have solved the problem. Shims are a band-aid and should be a last resort. Do you need them? most likely not. Do we have them, yes.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Why would a shim be a band aid? They do what they are supposed to do. I know no other way to properly correct the pinion angle in a leaf sprung suspension. Are they needed with the Deaver AAL kit, maybe, maybe not, but what other solution do you have for people that have vibration problems due to incorrect pinion angles (short of repositioning the spring perch)?

·
on line
14,014 Posts
Greg, I've talked about this w/ you before over the phone and basically came to the same conclusion as you posted above. Buuut...I can't tell if you're just against them entirely or just against the fact of guys installing them just because? It seems if it doesn't really hurt one way or another, and could only help in the future if you do start experience vibrations or the like...why not?

Also, is this only needed when doing an AAL? I'm looking at getting Alcan to custom make me some new springs, shims shouldn't be necessary when replacing the whole leaf pack, right?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts