Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally got a replacement resister on Monday and completed my conversion to LEDs front and rear.

Last night I noticed the marker lights were shining on the garage door when I had my foot on the brake even though I had already turned the lights off. The lighting on the head unit also came on. Stuck a flash light between seat and brake pedal to keep the brake lights on and see what was coming on. All 4 front markers and the tag lights are also coming on with the brake lights. But dim, not full power.

Obviously power is feeding to the parking light circuit through the LED bulb. The reason it is dim is there is a resistor on the tail light contact in the base of the bulb. I pulled both bulbs out separately to see if the lights went off but they both seem to have the same issue. Also tried swapping them with the bulbs in the turn signals since they were the same and they did it too. I even pulled the bases off the bulbs to make sure none of the contacts were touching in the base but none of them were.

I know I have seen something about the cruise not working after some have put in LED bulbs but not this issue. More than likely something similar is happening with their bulbs, power from taillights feeding to brake lights and switch making the cruise system think the pedal is being pressed. My cruise currently works though even with the lights on, but my bulbs also have a diode on the brake contact.

Already have a fix in mind, just a matter of finding a good place to tap both wires going to the taillights to allow current to only flow in one direction.

I’ll take pictures of the fix and materials needed when I do it.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Finally got around to fixing this. Even though no one replied to this hopefully it can help someone else with the same issue in the future.

To solve this you will need to acquire some diodes from RadioShack I used part # 276-1103

Find the Green with white stripe wire going to the Tail Light socket and cut it If you have the factory service manual it shows the wire is supposed to be violet, not sure why but Green/White is correct. Green with Yellow is the brake light.

Fold the ends of the diode over to make it a little thicker and easier to secure inside the splice connectors.

Place the diode in the connectors with the gray stripe end on the wire going to the socket.

Since a little but of wire on the diode is exposed and live when the tail lights are on wrap the diode and connectors in electrical tape.

Problem solved! No more marker lights turning on with the brake lights.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I just found this issue after putting led's in the tail lights. I didn't expect there to be such a quick answer. Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts