Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
on line
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys - from our recent success with the crank pulley, the members over at club frontier wanted more go fast parts -

By changing the intake manifold runner lengths we can shift the peak tq band to the left and create more bottom end power out of the engine. Since your motor doesn't have a high revving point (over 8k) this is will not hurt but also help your top end power -

Here is an example of what I made for the Sentra using the same pricinples, and as you can see, there is a massive gain at 3200 rpms holding all the way to 4500 rpms -

Below the pics of the sentra one, is examples of the ones we are working on for the VQ40 engine - again, this is what the VQ40 will look like -

I started out with some cad'ing and then I cut one out of a hardend resin to ensure fitment - this is still preliminary, but this way you guys can get an idea of what it's going to look like -

http://photos.freshalloy.com/gallery/d/29588-1/vq40spacer.JPG[/img
[img]http://photos.freshalloy.com/gallery/d/29585-1/vq40spacer3.JPG

If interested, please send a payment of $200 via paypal to [email protected] and indicate which forum you are from as well as your screen name - this way we can track the who, what, when, and where questions that may arise - once we reach 20 people, we will have all of them manufactured and shipped out within 2 weeks.

1)Nizmut - clubfrontier - paid
2)irongrave - clubfrontier - paid
3)maxvdub62 - clubfrontier - paid
4)Brutal - clubfrontier - paid
5)Johnnyman88 - clubfrontier - paid
6)Trekin - clubfrontier - paid
7)KellyJoe - clubfrontier - paid
8)Jiggapn0y - clubfrontier.org - paid

·
on line
874 Posts
payment?????? you never list a price as far as i can see

·
on line
874 Posts
so If I am reading the dyno sheet right(wich would be amazing) you saw a boost in both HP and Tq?

·
on line
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
correct - on the dyno from the sentra which was independently tested, the guys saw gains in both directions - this was tested by nissan sport magazine - keep in mind, the above example is what was made for the sentra, and we will be using the same principles for the VQ40 setup -

also the 350z sees about the same gains as the sentra does as well

·
on line
874 Posts
very interesting...did the sentra also have an air intake or was it a stock intake?

·
on line
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1)Nizmut - clubfrontier - paid
2)irongrave - clubfrontier - paid
3)maxvdub62 - clubfrontier - paid
4)Brutal - clubfrontier - paid
5)Johnnyman88 - clubfrontier - paid
6)Trekin - clubfrontier - paid
7)KellyJoe - clubfrontier - paid
8)Jiggapn0y - clubfrontier.org - paid
9)zoso0286 - clubfrontier.org - paid

·
on line
355 Posts
subscribing, this part looks good. (Can you fix that one missing pic)

·
on line
423 Posts
if the sentra was heavily modified, then wouldn't that increase in torque and HP kind of be the sum of the parts? to get that out of the intake alone, may be dependent on other mods to help breathing and spark, so a package. also, isn't the sentra a 4 cylinder? it will be interesting to see the specs run on the VQ. not nay saying...just some thoughts.

·
on line
874 Posts
I am with Jtaoj- yes there is an increase in performance, but i wanna see a stock VQ run it with and with out to see "real world" gains....I know that most of us have an intake or drop in, and some of us have exhaust, I also know that one of us has a supercharger....but for the x besided doing a intake and exhaust, I dont plan on doing any more to it becase the mods get way too complicated, this could be and easy mod for power and Tq...but I am a numbers guy so get one built, dyno it (on somthing that is not heavliy modified) to show us the gains and I think you will get many more ppl to "buy in" on this. thats just my .02

·
on line
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JtaoJ said:
if the sentra was heavily modified, then wouldn't that increase in torque and HP kind of be the sum of the parts? to get that out of the intake alone, may be dependent on other mods to help breathing and spark, so a package. also, isn't the sentra a 4 cylinder? it will be interesting to see the specs run on the VQ. not nay saying...just some thoughts.

hmm - yes it's a 4 cylinder, but the plenum spacers for the vq's in the 350z have all been known to make 11-16 whp with countless dyno's showing the gains...

·
on line
874 Posts
wperdigon said:
hmm - yes it's a 4 cylinder, but the plenum spacers for the vq's in the 350z have all been known to make 11-16 whp with countless dyno's showing the gains...
The fact of the matter is simply this, there are not that many performace parts for the xterra, unlike other nissan's include the sentra and the 350z. There are some on the board that have modified to the max(sexterra) and others, like myslef who just have an air intake. you can quote what you want to quote off of similar engine series but the proof will be when it it made, put on a stock x or fronty and we see the imprivment over the baseline. I know i didnt buy the air intake with out knowing solid numbers. I believe sexterra (eddo back me up) didnt buy the supercharger with out seeing baseline numbers for perfornamce increases. I feel that its almost misleading to show us dyno charts on a sentra that has be "heavily modified" when the performace gains you boast about could be due to the "sum of parts" working together to get those numbers. an example of this would be, the supercharger, i believe the stock increase is 92hp, but when you add a better intake over stock its 105hp or when you do exhaust on you X, hp gais of 10-15, but add an itake again and you get another 10-15hp i believe the data you are showing at this time is a "sum of parts" and not a real world gain. It would be interensting to see what the number are on "stock" cars, even if you could do it on a stock sentra i would be happy. I think I can speak for all when I say "if you can offer us 10+ hp and 10+tq for $200 then we are all in" but I like many others like to see real proof on our engine not a different one in the series. that being said when this gest made and you proove the performace gains, you can count me in on it...I am like tim the "tool man" taylor....more power arg arg arg!!!

·
on line
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
while I understand what your thinking, it's actually the other way around.

In the industry of making performance parts, there is something called diminishing return.

If we took a throttle body spacer and tested it on a bone stock car, it would yield for example, 4 whp and 4 tq-

now do the same test with a vehicle that has intake, plenum spacer, cams, c/f combo, lightweight pulley, you get the drift, and the part makes nothing - it's because of diminishing return the parts to make power become harder and harder -

·
on line
874 Posts
understood...I was just throwing my .02 out there... its all good...like i keep saying once i see number on the x I am all in!(or out depending on the out come)

·
on line
246 Posts
trust me guys when mr. wrp here gets this done for us over at CF you see a dyno on someone truck or mr. wrp will show us one............................take a look over at CF and see all the good talk about what the pulley did for the frontier that have it(although still havent seen dyno on that yet either)but all that have the pulley report very nice butt dyno gains/improvement off the line-no lag. so mr. wrp knows what hes doing when it comes to this kind of stuff..................any X's here have the pulley????????????????????????

·
on line
189 Posts
so are u sayin that we can add these parts to the X

·
on line
807 Posts
Jang Pilmo said:
lol, yes, that is the whole reason for this thread. Both the WRP crank pulley, and the WRP intake manifold spacer are designed for the VQ40 engine, meaning they will fit any 05+ Xterra/Frontier/Pathfinder with the V6.

·
on line
44 Posts
Jang Pilmo said:
Yup. Go get the pulley! Take off from a dead stop is just insane and pick up on the freeway is better than before.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts