Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Just took delivery of a 2014 Pro_4x.
My first reaction is hey, where did the metal go?
Lots of plastic and no convenient spots to install tie-downs for boats on top.
Some work to do....

A "Nevada Tow Package" was factory installed. When I connected my Prodigy brake controller using the Tekonsha Nissan harness, the controller is always on, even when the car is off-- keys out. Looks like the factory made the wrong connection to the battery.
Any thoughts?

Jon in Nevada

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
There is a factory installed tie down that is made out of metal. Should be on your roof...
Crossbars don't count. For putting a 'yak on the roof you might want to look into getting a dedicated kayak rack (from Yak'?). First gens, however, do have little screw-in tie down points at the forward part of the rack.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Is it just the blue light that is on? I'll check mine out when I get home to see if it's on all the time.

Sent from you know where...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Welcome. Yes lots of plastic, but there are some good mods on here for cargo attachments. There's one for putting new tie downs in the cargo area in the back. I'm a few miles to the north in Reno from you.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I put my yak on my roof. I run 1 strap around the yak and roof rack bars (not cross bars) one strap goes from the aft carrying handle to the hitch and 2 from the front carting handle to 2 loops of 770 chord I have bolted under my front fender bolts. No paint scratches at all. The stock rack is good for 150lbs. My yak is just under 100lbs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts