Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searching through this forum I noticed less than a handful of people have done dual batteries. This is my take on it. Simple.

steel to build tray - $8
power steering hoses and fluid - $13
2 awg welding wire - $15
blue sea switch - $23
batt terminal clamps - $9

so for $68 I have everything i need for the install with possibilities to expand.

removed everything i deemed unnecessary and shoved the rest out of the way.

some cheap angle iron and flat bar.

new hoses.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Nice simple setup. You should weld up a bracket to hold the rez. so its not floating around over there.

Do you have the second battery isolated from the starter or 'facotry' harness? Is the second battery there to run your lights and winch only?

I ask because there seems to still be the fact that if lights are left on over night, this setup will still kill both batteries. If you swtich it to say Bank 1 then Bank two does not get charged by the Alt.

Just curious as to how you look to handle that.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For now they are not isolated. I will eventually add a solenoid like the PAC500 to battery two connected to battery one. That way it will be charged and the marine switch will be on bank 1.

If needed to jump start I can switch to 1+2.

If heavy winching is required where the solenoid may not be able to handle it. I will switch to 1+2.

The slight hassle I may have every once in a while is not enough to make me want to buy a pricy system.

I have the original PS bracket and will cut it down and rig up something to keep it from flying around. Although it can't go anywhere right now anyway.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
89 Posts
I like your dual battery set up, super affordable... minus the two optima batteries :)

·
on line
1,928 Posts
Looks all right, nice quick job! Do you have some clamps holding the batteries down, and what is holding the battery tray in place?

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks all right, nice quick job! Do you have some clamps holding the batteries down, and what is holding the battery tray in place?
Clamps are coming next week. Just didnt have time then and dont have time this weekend. I will reuse the j hooks and just have a single piece of flat stock going across both with 2 holes drilled. Keeping with the simple theme.

the tray is welded in. you can see in some of the pictures where I have made some braces. the tray touches 2 parts of the body. where the old j hook used to mount to and right in between the two batteries shown in the picture with the PS tucked under the intake tube. then there are 3 braces. its remarkably strong and with my might it will flex but that is because the body flexes. I see it as a sort of shock absorber so it wont rip off.

also iteration 2 is also coming next week. with the addition of a solenoid to completely isolate battery 2 when the car is off. i will still be able to start using the secondary battery even if the first battery doesnt have enough juice to operate the solenoid.

·
on line
1,928 Posts
^^^Nice work, sounds like your driving your X in-between, while you do the work! That's the problem I'm having, finding time and another DD, so I can do the work on my X!

I'm looking forward to seeing your X when your all finished!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Very nice!

I've been wanting to do something similar. The only difference is i want to install 2 of these solar panels either to the hood or the roof to trickle charge what ever battery is not in use.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^^^Nice work, sounds like your driving your X in-between, while you do the work! That's the problem I'm having, finding time and another DD, so I can do the work on my X!

I'm looking forward to seeing your X when your all finished!
Im not sure ill ever be finished haha. Sometimes it a pain having it be my DD but I dont think I would change what I do. Its nice going to college and having a girlfriend form your home town so if anything happens and the X isnt driveable we can always carpool.

Damn fine setup!
Thank you sir! Its not a Kodiak system though. Need to find a used one of them...

How is it not isolated if you can switch between 1 and 2?

hepsdesigns
Its not isolated currently. I can isolate the batteries no problem. But then the isolated one is never in use nor does it get charged. What most people define as an isolated system is that the batteries are only isolated while they are not being charged. Others have isolators that always keep the batteries isolated but they both drain to the same accessories and both get charged, just separately.

Very nice!

I've been wanting to do something similar. The only difference is i want to install 2 of these solar panels either to the hood or the roof to trickle charge what ever battery is not in use.

How I would love to have one of those. If i ever got a fridge I would. Or an A/C unit hanging out the window... wouldnt that be nice for those hot summers...

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I like your dual battery set up, super affordable... minus the two optima batteries :)
Funny story.

I bought the first optima from amazon and it came in the box but it was damaged. the box looked like crap and one of the corners has a slight crack. not near the dry cell but it was just an extra piece of plastic to give it a square footprint instead of that six-pack like footprint. Anyway, called amazon to get it exchanged because i didnt want that to give me any trouble if i ever needed to get something warranty related done. Turns out they told me to dispose of the battery at a local auto parts store as they can not accept a return because of hazardous materials. So i decided to keep it...

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Funny story.

I bought the first optima from amazon and it came in the box but it was damaged. the box looked like crap and one of the corners has a slight crack. not near the dry cell but it was just an extra piece of plastic to give it a square footprint instead of that six-pack like footprint. Anyway, called amazon to get it exchanged because i didnt want that to give me any trouble if i ever needed to get something warranty related done. Turns out they told me to dispose of the battery at a local auto parts store as they can not accept a return because of hazardous materials. So i decided to keep it...
That is AWESOME! This seriously is a cheap dual bat mod! I wish I knew about that, I'd have ordered one Odyssey for my dual bat mod and might have found it chipped too...:idea1: and worked a 2-for-1 deal!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I would return the blue sea switch and use it as a manual combiner of the batteries. That will give you ability to flip to both if say the engine batter is fully discharged.

Always good to have backup and redundancy if there ever is a problem.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would return the blue sea switch and use it as a manual combiner of the batteries. That will give you ability to flip to both if say the engine batter is fully discharged.

Always good to have backup and redundancy if there ever is a problem.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I thought about this. if the main battery were to die beyond the point of being able to activate the solenoid a simple wire will fix that by manually holding the leads on.

also in the event the solenoid fails i can just bolt all of them together and buy a new solenoid.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
How I would love to have one of those. If i ever got a fridge I would. Or an A/C unit hanging out the window... wouldnt that be nice for those hot summers...
Don't know if you're being sarcastic :scratch: But you wont make nearly enough voltage. These are good for about 4v . just to make sure the other bat doesn't go dead if you forget to switch it over for a while. i had something like it on my shed for my motorcycle it worked well. It would be good to charge phones and stuff like that while camping. and it's not like you're ever going to see it on the roof. It's paper thin and sticks directly on to the body work

1 - 20 of 22 Posts