Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a few threads on here about Pioneer App Radio installs so rather than hijack one of those, I figured I'd start my own. My X is a 2013 Xterra S 4x4. I bought it new back in February and changed the HU mostly because I needed bluetooth. 5 months later, I am finally posting pics.

I used a Ram Mount for the iPhone and got the lightning adapter from Cable Jive.

Here's a pic with Dash Command running. My X was off so no stats are displaying.

Here's a pic a the lightning adapter coming out of the dash tray on top of the dashboard. I used a grommet from Ace Hardware.

Overall, the Appradio 3 is a decent HU. Unfortunately, it won't be one of the ones that will be updated to work with Carplay but Pioneer recently released App Radio Live which has made this HU feel like new again, only better. BTW-I have the 210 unit which does not have the DVD player. I could just stream movies from my iPhone if I wanted to.

Also, I did hook up the USB port in the armrest/console to the HU with an adapter. I will have to look up where I bought it from if anyone is interested since I did the install a while ago. Anyway, as far as I can tell, the only function that USB port has is to charge devices. I was not able to just throw an old iPod in the console and get it to work with this HU.

Thanks for looking.

·
on line
16 Posts
THANX for posting your App Radio3 install.

What's your opinion after 5 months of using the App Radio3's screen in on the road, daylight conditions? Is it easy to read?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly, I have mixed emotions about the app radio 3. After I first installed it, I was disappointed with how long it took to switch between the different apps. Another disappointing thing was the amount of warnings that you constantly need to press ok on.

Now, 5 months later, I am used to the issues and have learned to like it. Pioneer recently introduced Appradio Live and it is a MUCH better experience. Besides the built in apps, I like Dash Command a lot. It's extremely accurate on tracking MPG's. I also like being able to watch youtube videos and movies from iTunes, (my kids do anyway). Another positive is that the sound is very good, even through bluetooth. I was originally going to put an amp under the seat but after hearing it I found it to be good enough for my needs without an amp/sub.

To answer your question about the daylight. If it's sunny and I am wearing sunglasses, it's almost impossible to see the screen. Without sunglasses its not a problem at all no matter how bright out. Also, the screen is a fingerprint magnet and constantly needs to be wiped off.

I'm an Apple fan so I am waiting to see how CarPlay HU's work. If it's just so-so, I'll stick with the app radio. If it's much better, then I will more than likely change the HU.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My cheap sunglasses are part of the problem for sure. I have no idea if they are polarized though. Any time I buy good ones, I lose or break them. However, I am using the same sunglasses that I had when I bought the Xterra and the factory radio was MUCH easier to see.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice work! Its a very clean install.
Thanks for the compliment. I figured if I ever wanted to sell the X I would only need to replace the tray on top of the dash and the original radio to go back to stock. Won't be selling any time soon though...I love this truck.

·
on line
3,171 Posts
Almost bought this one yesterday, but the clerk said the unit doesn't play CD's, which was a slight loss for me. But I was also looking for Sat radio and he said this unit can only play Sat radio through a smartphone's data connection via Bluetooth. It can't connect to a standard Sat antenna. Considering I go places where there's no cellular data connections, this is no good for me at all.

So just a warning to those looking at this and are wanting Sat radio, that it's not really clear about how it works... :eek:ccasion5:

·
on line
877 Posts
i'm ready for the new CarPlay models to come out

are they still slow/delayed w updates? thats what kept me from getting one when the first one was out. that and the ridiculous price for the cables you had to get. 3 or 4 cables just to use an iPhone 5/5s is a no no...

looks really amazing though! glad you like it. i'll never buy anything else. Pioneer is great minus the updates haha

·
on line
77 Posts
I installed one in to my X about 4 months ago. I would say if you're an Andriod user skip this radio. If I could return it I would but on a recommendation from a guy on this board I bought it. The radio is finicky as hell and 1/2 the time when I get into the truck I have to disable and re-enable the Bluetooth in order to get the AppRadio App to connect.

I bought a ProClip which puts the phone right into the right spot and what I found is that I will just get the Pandora piece working on the AppRadio and then run Waze or Google Maps on the Galaxy 5. I really do not need the Waze on the AppRadio screen given how big my Galaxy is and the perfect position that it is in.

This may work better for Apple users, but I ended up buying a Pioneer DVD Double DIN radio for my old Q45 and put Waze on the Galaxy and Pandora on the deck and that works out very well.

I would give this 2 out of 5 stars...this is the technology of the future, if it were not for the install nonsense I would have this on Craig's list right now.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys, just wanted to give a (long) update to this post.

Having used this HU for several months now, I can tell you the love/hate relationship continues. I had planned on dealing with it until a true CarPlay HU came out. My biggest frustration with the AppRadio is the ultra buggy AppRadio app thats needed to get the apps working on the HU. It flat out sucks. First, there are the stupid warnings every time AppRadio is clicked on the HU. Second, some days it loads fast and works great. Others, it doesn't which leads to a very frustrating experience so much so that sometimes I need to pull into a parking lot to sort out. Last, the iPhone screen says AppRadio Live the entire time it's being used. Why Pioneer thinks I want to see that is beyond me. I would rather it just shut the screen off completely.

On the days it works like it should, it's awesome. Still, I had no intention of getting one of the Pioneer HU's that allows CarPlay. The way I see it, if there is a layer of Pioneer software involved in that mix, I want nothing to do with it.

What Pioneer does very well though is sound. Especially compared to the stock HU, it sounds amazing even with the stock speakers. One thing I learned is that even with there super expensive AV cable plugged in to the phone, the audio is still being transmitted via bluetooth. Kind of strange but it's an extremely well done implementation of bluetooth audio. It sounds great and you would never know it was bluetooth.

With all that said, I went into settings and changed the source from Pioneer Digital AV (or something like that) to Other. I no longer use the AppRadio part of this HU. First, Pioneer has not updated the app radio app to work on IOS8. Second, the new "Hey Siri" works a hell of a lot better than the touchscreen. So, if I'm driving all I need to do is say "Hey Siri, I need directions to [someplace]" and the map shows up on the phone with the voice coming through the HU. "Hey Siri, play artist so and so, call my wife, shuffle my songs, read my last text, etc." It all works so much faster than pressing the button on HU to do those things. I can still control the audio from the HU while the map is on my iPhone 6. It's like having two screens. and I never have to take my hands off the wheel. I can still use all the apps like dash command but they are on my phone screen instead of the HU. That's fine by me especially with the larger display on the 6. I also still have all of my phone controls on the HU screen. This solution has worked very well for me. In a way, it's very much like CarPlay but without all of the restrictions the CarPlay HU's will probably have.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Hey guys, just wanted to give a (long) update to this post.

Having used this HU for several months now, I can tell you the love/hate relationship continues. I had planned on dealing with it until a true CarPlay HU came out. My biggest frustration with the AppRadio is the ultra buggy AppRadio app thats needed to get the apps working on the HU. It flat out sucks. First, there are the stupid warnings every time AppRadio is clicked on the HU. Second, some days it loads fast and works great. Others, it doesn't which leads to a very frustrating experience so much so that sometimes I need to pull into a parking lot to sort out. Last, the iPhone screen says AppRadio Live the entire time it's being used. Why Pioneer thinks I want to see that is beyond me. I would rather it just shut the screen off completely.

On the days it works like it should, it's awesome. Still, I had no intention of getting one of the Pioneer HU's that allows CarPlay. The way I see it, if there is a layer of Pioneer software involved in that mix, I want nothing to do with it.

What Pioneer does very well though is sound. Especially compared to the stock HU, it sounds amazing even with the stock speakers. One thing I learned is that even with there super expensive AV cable plugged in to the phone, the audio is still being transmitted via bluetooth. Kind of strange but it's an extremely well done implementation of bluetooth audio. It sounds great and you would never know it was bluetooth.

With all that said, I went into settings and changed the source from Pioneer Digital AV (or something like that) to Other. I no longer use the AppRadio part of this HU. First, Pioneer has not updated the app radio app to work on IOS8. Second, the new "Hey Siri" works a hell of a lot better than the touchscreen. So, if I'm driving all I need to do is say "Hey Siri, I need directions to [someplace]" and the map shows up on the phone with the voice coming through the HU. "Hey Siri, play artist so and so, call my wife, shuffle my songs, read my last text, etc." It all works so much faster than pressing the button on HU to do those things. I can still control the audio from the HU while the map is on my iPhone 6. It's like having two screens. and I never have to take my hands off the wheel. I can still use all the apps like dash command but they are on my phone screen instead of the HU. That's fine by me especially with the larger display on the 6. I also still have all of my phone controls on the HU screen. This solution has worked very well for me. In a way, it's very much like CarPlay but without all of the restrictions the CarPlay HU's will probably have.

I agree, I absolutely hate AppRadio. Its a terrible interface with no support that has way too many bugs. I really only use the bluetooth to stream Spotify. I'm happy with the sound quality on mine though so that makes me not hate the radio entirely.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts