Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My heater wasn't working when X was idle, so I took it to the Nissan about 3 months ago to have it fixed. My main concern was that it could be actually one of the first signs of that issue of coolant mixing with transmission fluid...I was told that it was not the case and they only replaced my heater core (not "cord" as I made mistake in my original post) as it was plugged..
I took my X home and noticed, that my passenger floor mat was wet. I left a water bottle in that door, was there all the time X was at the dealership and I actually found it laying on that floor the day I took it home. So I automatically thought the floor mat was soaked cause some of the water from the water bottle spilled there...Well, my windshield is cracked, and there were some rainy days when X was sitting at the dealership, so I was thinking to blame it maybe on the cracked windshield as a second possible cause?
But when I dried the floor mat up and found my floor soaked next time, I couldn't blame it on any water bottle. My X was parked, staying at home through many rainy days or storms, but it stayed dry. So I kind of eliminated my cracked windshield as a cause of soaked floor mat issue. I started to browse some forums and found a few threads about AC causing passenger floor mat being soaked:
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5859
http://www.xterraownersclub.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=340625
http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/2007-2012-nissan-altima-discussion-2-5-3-5/276463-wet-carpet-passenger-side.html
So I went ahead and tested it. After AC was on, floor mat was soaked. Not right away, but it looked to me related enough. So I stopped using AC for this summer. X stayed dry. It was quite chilly last morning and raining about one hour, so driving to town (about 5 min) I turned my heat on just a little. Today, I noticed, that my floor mat is soaked again!!!! No AC, but a bit of rain and that heat on for a few minutes. Now I'm completely lost. What is the problem here? Any ideas?
PS: Sorry for my clumsy English, it's my second language..

·
on line
2,044 Posts
it could be your heater core...... or there is an odd rubber drain thing on passenger that drains something from the firewall.... if its blocked with something that water is staying inside your cabin.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it could be your heater core...... or there is an odd rubber drain thing on passenger that drains something from the firewall.... if its blocked with something that water is staying inside your cabin.
If this is the same thing that I have in mind, yes, that thing looks like the source. When I push the rubber, it's soaked with water. Looks like it's coming from there exactly. What is it actually?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Sounds like the drain for your A/C is clogged.
Not really familiar with the X's A/C, but on most systems if you clear the drain hose, the water drains out the hose again instead of dripping on the inside.
The evaporator core takes humidity out of the air in the car. Water in the air condenses on the evaporator coil. This is where the water comes from.

·
Registered
575 Posts
If heater core was leaking, should be able to smell antifreeze. Inside windshield will usually get slimy with antifreeze also.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Fixed! Stupid A/C was leaking inside the car. My friend mechanic just put a piece of hose in there so the water could drop where it should...

·
on line
1,416 Posts
I know this is late since you've solved the problem, but there is TSB on the problem. PATHFINDER/XTERRA/FRONTIER; WATER LEAK ONTO
PASSENGER FLOOR WHEN THE A/C IS ON, NTB07-091. Your fix is close to the solution described in the TSB. I've attached the TSB in case any one else finds this thread with the same problem.

Jeff

Attachments

Reactions: hammockking

·
on line
2,044 Posts
glad to see it was a simple fix..... the heater core is a pain to replace, although when i replaced mine at 200k i just order the core... then i spotted them at rock auto very cheap. for some nissan xterra models you have to order the whole heater core assembly that runs 700plus

1 - 10 of 10 Posts