Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my X for a little over a year now and haven't done anything except drop in a K&N.

Well good bye stock...hello custom. :D

After spending a few hours researching some great threads and lots of time online I decided to go with a K&N Air Intake combined with a Dynomax exhaust. I couldn't resist and also picked up a Bully Dog. I like the idea of custom tuning for different applications.

Pieces and parts should be arriving any day. Should be interesting to see and hear the difference. Not sure what kind of sound I'll end up with. We'll see.

The last rig I built up was many years ago and that was a 88 4x4 Ranger with a 2.9. I put JBA headers, custom intake and went with 2.5" exhaust among other things. Then I had a custom chip built. Wow, what a difference from stock. Night and Day. That truck rumbled...Yea Baby!

·
on line
1,113 Posts
I love my dynomax not too loud and it has a great sound and performance for the money. Like OR Gorilla said check out the IMS spacer. Ton's of good reviews about them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Today was the start from changing my stock X to custom.

First I installed the K&N Air Intake. Nice instant throttle response and a little growl with the stock exhaust when you get on it.

Next was the Dynomax Ultraflow Cat-Back. This combined with the K&N AIC really made a noticeable difference.

Next was the Bully Dog. This is one cool little unit. Still playing with it.

K&N was a snap. Dynomax is a nice and tight fit. Highly recommend it.

Nice way to spend a casual Saturday afternoon with my son who loves to wrench.

·
on line
2,874 Posts
Dang man, coming along quick! Can't wait to check it out sometime!
I have the k&n kit (after going through a voltrex or whatever its called and a cheap k&n clone with metal piping. My current intake is k&n with plastic piping. Love it. Also went with an aem oil free filter.

I have a custom cat back into duels and the bully dog. Really made a good difference. I use the first non stock tune. My rig always pinged on 87 gas even when new so I ran 89 till the tune. Now run 91/93. Worth it though.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lots of mid-range power

So far I like the Dynomax Ultraflow Cat-back exhaust. Nice deep tone when you get on it. Combined with the K&N AIC, it sounds great.

After the K&N and Dynomax, I installed the Bully Dog.

Noticed a big gain in mid range power...which is what I wanted.

Just waiting on the IMS and that should be here this week.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I just finished installing the Bully Dog Gas Tuner. On the initial install I had a code error, Part # 9BDOB. Unable to complete install. Called tech support and they had to have an engineer build a work around and then have me call back a couple days later.

Now I finally have it installed in the X. Went with the first tune option. Noticed an immediate difference in throttle response. The tuner combined with the K&N plus the Dynomax really made a noticeable difference.

Next is the IMS. Grey with XTP was nice enough to reply to my email inquiry this morning. Once I get that puppy installed, it should be a running machine.

Planning a long trip to test it out soon and see what kind of gas mileage I get.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can honestly say I just got the best gas mileage since I've owned the rig. Probably a good 2-3 MPG increase.

Lots of mid range power and that 's what I was looking for. It pulls hard all through the power band. It's like driving a new rig.

Unfortunately the Dynomax Ultraflow muffler drone is too much. Just like other members have said. So I ordered a Dynomax VT version and I think that should do the trick.

I switched over to Mobile 1 synthetic this weekend combined with the same brand oil filter.

Monday putting in a B&M Hi-Tek SuperCooler with Fans.

The IMS arrived. That will be next.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL! Too funny.

Unless my work schedule gets changed I'll be at the coast that Tuesday night.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Install problems B&M Hi-Tek SuperCooler with Fans.

I'm trying to install a B&M Hi-Tek SuperCooler with Fans in my 2012 and am having problems.

Did anyone who installed this tranny cooler have installation issues?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally got it installed. In order to get the tranny cooler to fit there had to be special bracket mounted. It's a tight fit but it's working like it should so on to the next mod.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Chris

Would love to meet you and the others local studs. :salute:

Unfortunately I'm scheduled to work that night until late evening. It would 9:00 PM before I could join you guys at the pub. Will you guys still be hanging out then?

If not we'll catch ya on the flip side.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts