Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://www.wired.com/design/2014/01/israeli-soldier-develops-grill-for-recon-missions/

No tools are required for setup, one of the titanium stakes is simply pounded into the ground using a rock. The next step would make Pythagoras proud: Campers pivot the grate around the first stake until they find a smooth, rock free, spot to drive the second. The grill’s steel cable is threaded through a hole in the third stake, providing a few inches of play before planting it. Unlike pitching a tent where a single section of rough terrain can ruin the process, this design allows the camper to work with the site rather than against it.

The concept is striking, but it also sports a meticulous attention to detail. The locking mechanism between the grill and stake is simple, elegant, and designed not to wear out after dramatic changes in temperature. A Cordura carrying case keeps all of the pieces together on the way to the campsite, but protects your other gear from getting greasy on the way out. Even little things, like the tab attached to the zipper pulls double duty and the silicone circle acts like a makeshift oven mitt helping campers to disassemble the grill while it’s still hot.

Here is a different design
A Clever Grill Made With Chain Mail That Folds Into Your Backpack

http://www.wired.com/2014/05/an-12000-backpack-grill-that-folds-like-an-umbrella/

·
Registered
1,105 Posts

·
on line
6,064 Posts
The wired grill looks pretty neat, definitely functional and a good thing to keep in case of emergencies.
I have the tube grill that I keep in my backpack, somewhat of a pain to set up, but again works well. As for it being loud, stuff a paper towel in with the rods, or wrap/tape them together before storing them inside. Quick easy fix

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I like the triangular design- anything supported at 3 points is nearly always stable as soon as it is set up, while supporting at 4 has to be painstakingly levelled so it doesn't wobble.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts