Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=46

1st in synthetics and 1st to offer a non Nissan Transmission oil for our Nissan's. Meets our specs, good for 50K of Severe service or 100K normal service, and as always has that Amsoil synthetic advantage! We asked for it and they delivered! Better than factory, less expensive by far.

By time I leave for my summer adventure out west, I'll be 100% Amsoil.

And, I'd like to add, Amsoil did some testing and they recommend you change the diff fluid no later than 5K miles no matter what the factory says. And that would be consistent with what Muzikman discovered! I am WAY WAY WAY overdue!

You can go here, Click on the red build box, enter info, make order delivers to your house from nearest warehouse.

EDIT, Below are some posts that question the validity of this post. I called Amsoil and I can assure you this meets and exceeds the Nissan D,j,K, specs for AFT fluid. Further explanation in below posts by MC.
MC
Amsoil dealer or ZO No. 1447837

·
on line
1,407 Posts
I didn't see the 5k change out recommendation, but I do plan on changing mine out.

Next oil change I am moving from Mobil 1 to Amsoil.

·
on line
22 Posts
That's good news. I am moving back to Colorado in about 10 days and will be towing a Uhaul trailer fully loaded. I plan on changing all my fluids when I get back. I will be right around 15k at that time.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
B Slater said:
I didn't see the 5k change out recommendation, but I do plan on changing mine out. Next oil change I am moving from Mobil 1 to Amsoil.
Well that recommendation is in the Feb Issue of Amsoil Action News. Page 10 I was just passing the info on. It may be available online? But it's a dealer thang! MC

·
on line
109 Posts
usmc: for $20.00 a year membership you can become a prefered Customer and buy at around 30% less than listed costs...
I do and I am...
I`m using Amsoil in the X right now with their new Ea oil filter...PR...

·
on line
25 Posts
Hey guys, quick question:

If you put the Amsoil transmission fluid in, would your warranty be void? I know from the other Nissan forums (Titans/Armadas) I've been checking out, it seems Nissan is a real pain about what you use in your transmission.

Thanks

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well they want their fluid in because they stand to make a lot of money from it. It meets the specs, It's against the law for them to void the warranty because you change it with something that meets the spec.
Read up on it. Amsoil is way better and more cost effective. MC

·
on line
1,831 Posts
I don't think I'll be risking voiding my warranty over some tranny fluid.
And yes, called the dealership and they confirmed this will absolutely void your warranty.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You young whipper snappers! Here I'll look it up for ya, But I left some holes YOU look it up by LAW they can't void your warranty! Period That's my story and I am sticking to it. And! Amsoil covers it anyways, and funny, since Amsoil began way back in early 70's no one has made a claim. You don't know it but you really don't have a warranty anyways.

From Amsoil site:
Absolutely not! Manufacturers’ warranties are based upon the use of oils meeting specific API Service Classifications, for example, SJ/CF. (AMSOIL lubricants meet the current API Service requirements and, thus, are perfectly suited for use in any new vehicle without affecting the validity of the new vehicle warranty.)

And from here: http://www.amsoil.com/faqs/faq4.aspx

Directly related to the new trans fluid.

If someone is misinformed on this issue and actually denies a manufacturers warranty coverage because of the use of AMSOIL Universal ATF Fluid in one of the applications for which it is recommended by AMSOIL INC., the AMSOIL Warranty coverage would apply. The consumers transmission would be repaired under the AMSOIL Warranty. AMSOIL INC. and our insurance company will legally pursue the dealership or the manufacturer to recover our costs. AMSOIL INC. would not make the recommendations on our label, or issue this statement, if we were not completely confident of our position on this matter. While we cannot control what individuals say about this subject, we can and do insure that consumers can use our product with complete confidence and without risk.

I think Amsoil has more money than your dealership and, based on law they would win. Call the bluff on the dealer and put in the better fluid. In fact, call them back and record that, Do a digital and send it to me so I can take it to the next Amsoil meeting.

Personally I can't wait to get the factory crap out. And all this crap people here do to their vehicles and they worry about putting Amsoil in it? And they listen to dealers who stand to make large profits if you don't use their fluid in install, sales and possibly failure? You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make him drink. Read the whole story at the link. Amsoil = less dealer proffits in labor and repairs. Sorry dealers.

MC

·
on line
551 Posts
Well I thought this looked good, but upon further review, I went to the build page and on the info for the Xterra this is what I found:
Automatic Transmission.....SLF[2]
Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid
And [2] is as follows:
2. Use Genuine NISSAN Matic J TRANS fluid.
So it looks like a no go? Or is that copied from the owners manual?
Cause on the tranny fluid page it does state that it is for use in the Nissan tranny.
From towing a 3200 lb trailer over mountain passes with other vehicles, I know synth fluids, especially in the transmission really help and keeps it cooler and really do want to change over, but only if I know for sure that I would be covered by a warranty (Nissan or Amsoil)

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nissan does use synthetic trans fluid.
But Ahhhh I see what ya mean. Hummmm Also a note in my Catalog that says for use in Nissan Matic D and Not for use in CVT transmissions.
Do we have a CVT transmission? I'm going to call them on Monday. I don't like that side note because they link you right to the new stuff and give you the side note. MC

·
on line
551 Posts
No CVT transmission in the Xterra
I didn't realize Nissan's AT was synthetic
I was thinking on changing all fluids prior to the summer tow season, regardless of mileage, just to get whatever might be in there that shouldn't be out. May be a waste of money to some, but one less thing to worry about climbing the passes in summer.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is the amsoil link that says it is ok for J. I think that is what we have and Nissan calls for but as above that sidebar note is mesleading.
I think i have to explain that. You are right on that. But here is where I get that it is ok for Our Nissan J.

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/atf.aspx

And that should produce, scroll down, this. (In bold)

APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL Synthetic Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid is completely compatible with other synthetic and petroleum automatic transmission fluids. AMSOIL ATF is a universal, multi-functional fluid that greatly reduces the need for specialized fluid inventories and the possibilities of misapplication. AMSOIL ATF is recommended for transmission, hydraulic and other applications requiring any of the following specifications:

GM DEXRON® II, III & VI
Ford MERCON®, MERCON® V & SP
Chrysler ATF+ through ATF+4®
Honda Z-1 (Not for use in CVT transmissions)
Toyota Type T and T-IV
Mitsubishi/Hyundai Diamond SP II & III
Allison C-3, C-4
Caterpillar TO-2
Voith G607, G1363
ZF TE-ML 14A, 14B & 14C
Mercedes Benz 236.1, 236.2, 236.6, 236.7, 236.9
BMW 7045E
NAG 1 & 2
JWS 3309
LT 71141 (ESSO)
Nissan Matic D, J & K
Vickers I-286S & M-2950S
Excellent for power steering units that use ATF.

Not for use in CVT transmissions.

SERVICE LIFE
AMSOIL Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid is recommended for use up to 50,000 miles under severe service* and up to 100,000 miles under normal service* or according to the vehicle manufacturer recommended intervals, whichever is longer. AMSOIL recommends thoroughly draining the transmission and flushing with new AMSOIL ATF to achieve a minimum 90% purity of new transmission fluid. Drain intervals may be extended further with oil analysis.

* As defined by the vehicle or transmission manufacturer.

MC

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Magic Rat said:
No CVT transmission in the Xterra
I didn't realize Nissan's AT was synthetic
I was thinking on changing all fluids prior to the summer tow season, regardless of mileage, just to get whatever might be in there that shouldn't be out. May be a waste of money to some, but one less thing to worry about climbing the passes in summer.
In all reality, you could go 200 - 300 K miles with what is in there and never have a problem one. That is pretty bold, advanced stuff that they put in from factory. Amsoil always wants to 3 up it (Not 1 up) I want to add another cooler, that helps a lot, and may as well swap it out! I expect better and less shifting.

I still need to call and point out the misleading info on the build sheet, that bugs me. MC

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, Well turns out I am right but here is why.
#1 due to this http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm
Nissan dealer cannot void you warranty for any aftermarket add ons that meet the factory specs, and this ATF does meet the spec, Amsoil will pay for repairs and go after the dealer for the money and win in court. So, toss out what the dealer said.

#2 Valid point about this footnote: (Magic Rat)
Automatic Transmission.....SLF[2]
Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid
And [2] is as follows:
2. Use Genuine NISSAN Matic J TRANS fluid

That was/is a bit confusing but what it really says is that Amsoil is showing that they are aware of what the Nissan calls for, And below that is a link to what Amsoil makes that meets or exceeds that spec. In other words, they are showing you they know the spec.

#3 That fluid was not good for anything But Nissan D up until about 45 days ago, it was reformulated to meet D, J, and K specs then, as shown in my post above. So, yes! Yippeeee! It's good to go!

Now, If you order it, you will get the new spec fluid, but it you buy it from a dealer that has it on the shelf, well, you have to call Amsoil Tech. 715- 392-7101 with the lot number and make sure that is the new formula and not the old that was just good for Nissan D only.

So, we have that straight. I knew I was right, because it was in our Amsoil news magazine that they just came out with it for our Nissan. But, I did not know why I was right, you guys made me learn something. So Thanks!

By April I'll be 100% Amsoil guiney pig! All the way!

So this case is closed, still record that dealer and send it to me.
And, read about the Magnuson-Moss Act, it applies to other parts you have added besides the lube, If dealers know you know what you are talking about, they won't push you around so much. MC

·
Read Only
656 Posts
Is the Nissan fluid the same color as the Amsoil? If it is, how would a dealer know which fluid you used anyway?

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh hell ya, An oil analysis would pick it up bigtime! They could just turn it in and use their ATF as a base formula, the testing would quickly determine if it was theirs or not. We're talking Parts Per Million here. But, If you said it was Amsoil, there's nothing they can do according to the Law. They would still be obligated to fix it, Or have to cave in to Amsoil in a warranty dispute, Amsoil claims that no one has ever challenged them in this way. Be stupid to and they know it. So the dispute would be settled in consumer favor long before court.

In an analysis, they always ask what oil it is, and what may have been added, going off the known formula, they can determine what wear has occurred and if the lube is good for further use, and even how much further based on how long it's been in use. The more info you give them, pretty much the more info they can give you. MC

·
on line
551 Posts
Glad that's all cleared up.
It would be cool to hook up a tranny gauge prior to the switch to see if there is any difference between stock and Amsoil.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts