Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I can't find my post where I said i was going to run the Amsoil 25K miles, but this is to inform you I lied! LOL

Here is why, well, It probably would have gone the 25K miles pretty easy, yet to test it. But here is my thinking,

The Amsoil site recommends changing the Full Synthetic from 15K to 25K 15K being severe service, well, I qualify for Severe service for sure, all the crap I do wheeling, pealing, towing, some short runs less than 10 miles and so on as described on the site. A oil analysis is $20 Oil is like 5.4 qts @ about $8 ea and a $15 Oil filter and I am good for 15K miles, easy.
Cost is about $55 for an oil change I do one change in place of 5, so the money and time savings is there and the protection can't get any better and Amsoil backs the oil with a warranty, who else does that?
Mind you had there been an Oil Crisis, I'd have went the 25 and not blinked an eye. I just decided to change it out since I am sever service customer, The oil was remarkably clean, and for you old timers that know the field test, passes with flying colors. I even kept it to re use in something else it was that good.

So, yes I am an Amsoil dealer, but don't let that fool you, I also am confident in other oils on the market, especially for this drain interval, (15K) Mobil one synthetic, Roayle Purple, Lucas, to name a few. I dislike the fact that Amsoil can't be bought OTC, but, they do deliver pretty fast. And, being I order it, that makes a record right there.

The important thing is this, Oil don't wear out as fast as popular opinion may lead you to believe and synthetic oil even slower. Just pick an oil and change it when it needs it, not just because, I see a good future for oil life monitors in cars and hope they will be standard someday and people heed to them. I also see the US moving towards fully sythetic oils for the many advantages.

They call it Dino Oil for a reason, step into the future.

MC

·
on line
641 Posts
I use both amsoil oil and filter and change it every 7.5K miles. At $55 per change, it won't hurt my pocket...

·
on line
106 Posts
I have almost 25k on my X and I want to switch over to synthetic. I know this is lame but I take my X to the dealer for my oil changes mainly because of time. Can I ask them to just switch all my fluids over to synthetic or is it not that simple.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Really, your motor oil is the only thing that isn't synthetic from the factory. Most dealers do offer a synthetic motor oil option, thought they charge you WAY too much.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
One problem you have with doing your own oil...I cleaned out the garage and I have over 13 gallons of old oil. I really need to take it some place to get rid of it.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Muzikman said:
One problem you have with doing your own oil...I cleaned out the garage and I have over 13 gallons of old oil. I really need to take it some place to get rid of it.
Hmm. My town has a place to leave it as long as it is in a clear container. Ie window washer fluid bottole.

You can also leave anti-freeze.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Far as get rid of oil, almost any chain auto parts store takes it free, I use Autozone, Just pour and leave. Also in the winter lots of truck stops and shops like that use oil burners and they are special made to burn oil from chages, They depend on it for heat, thus the sale on an Oil change. So try them 1st they appreciate it. MC

·
on line
641 Posts
Muzikman said:
There's an Autozone on my way to work, they take it for free.

·
on line
355 Posts
i leave it on my curb with the garbage and they take it free.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts