Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK folks... After searching a bit, this is what I've come up with for possible amp mounting locations...

Under driver's seat
Under passenger seat
In the storage bin under the floor in the back
Screwed to the back of the rear seats
Mounted to whatever sub you put in

Does anybody else have any good ideas? I'm leaning towards under a seat because I'd like to retain full functionality of the back area. The sotrage bin seems like a good place, but I'm concerned about heat. There's no circulation under there although it would be a perfect fit.

The amp I'm looking to install is a smaller PPI amp that puts out 30 watts RMS over 4 channels or 150 watts RMS if you bridge it. I'm not looking to install a sub (at this time) but I will amp all 4 door speakers. In addition, I plan on adding a new HU, Ipod adaptor and XM.

Anybody have anything I should look out for besides scratching the dash up when I take the panels off the center console?

Thanks.

·
on line
1,161 Posts
i prefer under either driver/passenger seat. the reason; good airflow, hard to steal and clean install. :flower:

·
on line
1,361 Posts
lowhombre said:
i prefer under either driver/passenger seat. the reason; good airflow, hard to steal and clean install. :flower:
i concur and running the wires there was a breeze and they are all hidden under panels in the center console area and the seat.

I'll try to take a picture of mine when I get home and post it in the stereo how to write up.

Also to pop the little tray off on the dash I used a putty knife instead of a screwdriver, more surface area to pry on.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
If you wheel and like water crossing/deep mud, and you put the amps in the floor in the back, be sure to plug the drain hole or you might end up with water in your amps.

·
on line
21 Posts
I agree with Lowhombre and Lostboy - my amps are under the seats. They're hidden, they stay cool and the install is clean and easy.

I only used two screws to mount the amps (and then only screwed them into the carpet) so I don't have to remove the seats to change them out or make adjustments. Also, I did all the wire work with my amps sitting where a rear-seat passenger's feet would be. This way, I undo the two screws and can pull them out enough to work on them without completely uninstalling them.

I can see the benefits of putting them in the storage area, but circulation is something to worry about. Of course, if you don't run your amps hard for long periods, that spot should be OK. Follow Muzikman's advice about the drain hole if you're a mudder, though.

And DO NOT forget to pad the dash. It took me forever to get those scratches out with a lighter. Good luck and have fun with it.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
scottb said:
I only used two screws to mount the amps (and then only screwed them into the carpet) so I don't have to remove the seats to change them out or make adjustments.
I just used one strip of heavy duty velcro about 4 inches long. My amp hasn't moved all week so I assume it's enough. I am not to worried about sticky fingers taking it as it is in my garage or work parking lot most of the time when parked.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
i added some pics of what it looks like to the under the seat on the stereo how to install

·
on line
844 Posts
under the seats are the best by far, you have the shortest wires to buy, the least resistance in those wires because they're short, the best heat dissipation, etc, etc, and you lose no hatch space. ideally you should put the amp under the drivers seat and the sub under the passenger's seat and then you lose no cargo space!

·
on line
79 Posts
dragonplayboy said:
under the seats are the best by far, you have the shortest wires to buy, the least resistance in those wires because they're short, the best heat dissipation, etc, etc, and you lose no hatch space. ideally you should put the amp under the drivers seat and the sub under the passenger's seat and then you lose no cargo space!
thats exactly what im planning on doing this summer after i make some money. i just have to find a sub that fits under a seat. any suggestions?

·
on line
264 Posts
my amp is mounted on the back of my box because with the fosgate setup the factory sub is under the drivers seat and the amp is under the passengers.

·
on line
844 Posts
pavementSucks said:
thats exactly what im planning on doing this summer after i make some money. i just have to find a sub that fits under a seat. any suggestions?
try Elemental design's 10, it's very shallow, or try image dynamics ID8, it's a serious sub for an 8, and also very shallow.

·
on line
1,045 Posts
scottb said:
And DO NOT forget to pad the dash. It took me forever to get those scratches out with a lighter. Good luck and have fun with it.
Not to hijack, but...

I scratch the $hit out of my dash when I did my head unit install (and then read the full instructions on the site saying to watch out for the metal clips).

...get out scratches with a lighter?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts