Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
on line
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got an early Xmas gift. Rockford Fosgate P450 Amplifier, 4 channel with the optional Punch Bass EQ. Got it off Amazon for about $160 delivered. I spent Sunday installing it. Thanks to all those who have posted 'how-to's on stereo install, for the information was invaluable.

I found a neat little item for routing wires through the firewall. I used a cap from a spark plug wire (where it fits onto the distributor). The wide part fit into the hole nicely and the narrow part made a nice, snug fit on the power wire. The cap is angled 90 degrees, so I can rotate it so that it faces downward, which will help prevent any water from seeping through.

I mounted the amp in the rear deck cargo space. I took 1.25" square by 17" long sticks of pine and double sided carpet tape (bottom) to hold them to the plastic and used screws to mount the amp to the wood. I did that for cooling and also in case some water ever happened to get in there. That carpet tape is STRONG. I drilled three holes to feed the wires through, one for power, one for ground, and the other for RCA and speaker wires.
The wires were run down the center console, under the carpet to the rear. To fish through the smaller wires, I worked a small piece of garden hose under the carpet and used that for a conduit. Once through, I just pulled the garden hose out, leaving the wires. The other wires I used some steel cable as a 'fish' and taped them to the wire and pulled them through. I was careful to keep the power wires away from the speaker wires and RCA cables. What I did to keep the wires straight was to code them with h/s tubing. Two bands for right, one band for left. Blue for rear, yellow for front. It really helped! When you look inside, the only clue that there is an amplifier is the Bass EQ controller. Not one wire is visible.
I have an aftermarket H/U (Pioneer DEH-P6900-UB). I was able to tap into the Circuit City wiring harness for the connections. I decided for now to remain with the stock wiring harness, so I just ran the speaker wires back up to the dash. I soldered the connections and insulated them with heat-shrink tubing. 40 feet of speaker wire in this configuration was BARELY adequate.
The speakers are still stock. My next item to get is a subwoofer, most likely a self-powered unit, probably a Bazooka. After that, I will upgrade the speakers. I only made one mistake of any consequence: I forgot to plug the wiring harness back into the stereo.

Results: The sound improvement is noticeable, especially the bass. The Punch Bass EQ really helps to bring out the bass when the sound volume is low. If I crank it, I have to back it off, for I am concerned about damaging speakers.

As an interesting side note, after the install the bloody airbag light was flashing. I have no idea why. I know it had nothing to do with hooking up the power wire to the battery, for I did that Friday night and it was fine. Thanks to you guys, I was able to find the reset procedure and after fiddling with it a for a bit, I was able to make the flashing stop. I have read about how others have run into the same issue. Odd. The only thing I can think of is that I had the center console off, with the climate controls disconnected. I started up the X to test the stereo setup before I buttoned everything back up. That is when I noticed the light flashing.

That was a fun six hours.

Andrew.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
congrat on the finished project. I did not get the air bag light when I did mine. Lucky I guess.

Pics?

·
on line
1,638 Posts
If you power up the ignition with the center dash disconnected, mainly the airbag light, you'll get the airbag light error.

·
on line
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I will post pics in a day or two. I did power up the ignition with the center dash disconnected. Seemed a logical thing to do, rather than put everything back together w/o testing. No big deal either way. Just annoying.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts