Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
on line
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I am installing an amp and sub the next couple of months so I am doing all of my research and prep work now. I also know several other people are thinking of doing this so....

SUB
I was going to just go with a regular square box and just sit it in the back however, that would have taken up about a quarter of available floor space. I have now decided to go with a different design and I looked at MC's write up and his box and came up with this. It should fit and hide under the cargo hider. The only problem is it works out to be 0.65 cubic feet instead of the recommended 0.75 cubic feet, I am ok with this though. I didn't solve the outlet problem MC had but the box will be easily removable so I can move it if need access to the outlet. It still fits between the fender well and the back of the X on the passenger side. This also allows access to the track system.

AMP
I plan on mountng the amp under the passenger seat. After looking at the below picture and looking at my X I still have no clue in how to wire the amp to the battery, since we can't directly hook it to the battery. I have PM'd MC a few times and figure I will bring my lack of understanding to the public so if somone else had this question they too would get the answer. He explained it to as tapping into the main wire, however there looked to be several and I do not know which is which?
Hook right to battery cables, try to get a new nut and add on to the end, once you disturb the factory clamp, it's hard to get back on. So do a tap on and don't forget the fuses!

Basically the point of this long post is to get ideas, someone to tell me what I could do better.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Well in that picture you can't see the part i am talking about because the cover is in the way, remove the cover on the Pos cable and then think about what i said. Add a nut on to what is there instead of loosening what is there and trying to tighten it. It's a very sorry cheap set up that will be changed out 1st time it give me trouble (The factory battery terminal)

My picture just shows the wires going in, not the connection I speak of.
No wonder people have been PM ing me about this.

Oh, on the box demnsions, I had same problem, I added like 1/2 inch to rear end of box to make it up, so my box is wedge shaped as in when looking down at it from the top, it is slightly wider in the back than in the front, no one notices. And, my box is shapped quite like yours, but the rest of it forms to the hump is cosmetic. I cut a pattern from some foam board and then built the real thing. MC

·
on line
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MC, I pulled the cover off and assume you mean attach the cable and new nut on top of the nut in the circle and being pointed at :geek:

I am actually getting the equipment this week or next week so I will post some pics of the install once I have finished it.

·
on line
641 Posts
Of the three mounting posts that are on the top of the "block" that attaches to the battery's positive terminal, only the center one is a direct connection to the battery. The other two are fused, so depending on the load that you are adding, you might have problems. I'm planning on using the center post for power to my winch. There is an existing factory wire connected to the center post. My guess is that it goes to the starter.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Well I went and took a picture of mine. But it did not come out, Anyways on the Pos side, you hook to a terminal not close to the battery terminal. Like on the special thing there, whatever it is, Way back when no one knew I checked it out and hooking to that was the only way the Alternator See's the draw and knows to flip the voltage regulator back in charge mode, beef it up or something like that. Hooking beyond that will tax your battery too much. So, not at the clamp, but at the place where the factory wires hook in. MC

·
on line
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to add one more element to the mix, I noticed this in the manual which suggest that the only issue is with grounding.

Your vehicle is equipped with a variable voltage
control system. This system measures the
amount of electrical discharge from the battery
and controls voltage generated by the generator.
If you add electrical accessories to your vehicle
ground it to the body groundsA located near the
battery along the negative battery cable.

CAUTION
Do not ground accessories directly to
the battery terminal. Doing so will bypass
the variable voltage control system
and the vehicle battery may not
charge completely.
Use electrical accessories with the engine
running to avoid discharging the
vehicle battery.

Anyway, just thought I would post this for thought.

·
on line
264 Posts
dont disconnect the battery it fucks up ur ecm i had to pay $84 to reprogram it

·
on line
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
irp88 said:
dont disconnect the battery it #$%^ up ur ecm i had to pay $84 to reprogram it
To hook up an amp all you have to do is unhook the negative wire from the battery.

·
Registered
5 Posts
is there one on the passenger side? or another way to get it through there cause the battery on the passenger side
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
i havent noticed one on the PS but then again i wasnt looking very hard. The one on the DS is TOO EASY to get to. I would just use that one with some wire loom to protect the wire.

My .02 is that you should not mount the Amp under the seat. Amps need to breath and keep cool. If you run it hard and it gets too hot it will most likely shut down into Thermal Mode and wont start back up until it has properly cooled down. You could do what I did and just mount it to the back of your Sub box. I would also recommend a Capicitor. I know my pic was bad but i have since mounted my Cap to the box and cleaned up the wires.

·
on line
8,599 Posts
There is one on the passenger side but it's a pain in the ass to get to. I just ran mine to the driver side as well. It's real easy. I have my amp mounted to my box as well. But eventually I'm gonna try makin a stealth box and then I'll have to figure Somethin out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i just ordered a loaded powered rockford fosgate sub cause it got really good ratings for s really good price so cant xactly move the amp, so if you run it through the drivers side then how do you get it to the battery on the passenger side i dont wanna run it over the engine cause it could melt

·
on line
3,754 Posts

you can see the red wire zip tied across the engine bay above the engine. it wont melt there. ive had mine there along with a couple smaller wires for over 2 years and they havent melted at all.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts