Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got a late start on this because I sat at the tire shop for WAY too long waiting for them to swap my Toyos over to the 16x8 A.R. Mojave (teflon) wheels I ordered from summit earlier in the week. Most of these pictures were taken near dusk and very crappy.

I ended up ordering the 6-4.5 to 6-5.5 wheel adapters that Grunzen found at http://www.ezaccessory.com/Wheel_Adapter_6_Lug_4_5_To_6_Lug_5_5_p/6450-6550.htm[/url] (1 inch). The lug nuts that came with them were kind of rinky, so I picked up some beefier ones at the tire shop. The thread pitch on the adapter studs is 12mmx1.5.

I couldn't locate any lug nut short enough to sit flush with the face of the adapter, so I used a cutting wheel on the grinder and cut the acorn tops off of each of the stock lug nuts. Sandwiched each lug nut into the vice before cutting it, 24 times. Took a while.

Used threadlocker on the lug nuts holding the adapters to the face of the wheel and torqued them to 120 ft/lbs. Back wheels went on without any problems. The wheel studs did not extend out past the adapter. I checked all of them with the straight edge of a framing square before bolting the wheels up.

I think the wheels were pushed out about 1.5 inches. This should solve my rear frame rub problem. By the looks of things, the tires should still tuck up into the rear wheel wells without any problems. Here's another crappy pick to give you an idea what the new stance is like...

The front has been a different story. The wheel studs in front appear to be about 1/16 of an inch longer than the rears, so I had to grind that excess off.

After closer inspection, I realized that my front tires (285/75/16) had been rubbing against the frame rail as well (closer to the firewall, under full lock I presume).

Anyways... as expected, the tires were now rubbing against the rear of the fender.

I'm still in the trimming process at this point. I taped off the area that I thought I would need to cut to get clearance. I pulled the plastic inner fender out of the way and cut small horizontal notches in the metal. Then I folded the notches back with the intent of drill small holes and reinstalling the lower screws that are hold the plastic fender to the body panels.

I masked up the area right around where I butchered the fender and sprayed it w/ some black rattle can to try and fend off the rust monster for a while.

I'm going to hit the rack and let the paint dry over tonight. I'm still in a slight state of disbelief that I just hacked up my fender like that. Oh well, too late now.

We'll see how it looks in the morning after I get the plastic fender re-attached. I'll try to post some decent daylight pics when it's all said and done.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
Takes balls to hack up your X! :cheers:

Good luck

·
on line
3,484 Posts
S_e_X-Terra said:
Looks good. Im just scared to run adapters now after everything that MC and a few others have said about them.
Well, in this months issue of Four Wheeler, in Best Of Techline they had this special section in there and someone asked about them..... that guy who answered the questions said all the stuff we always have said, but also added that he is no as scared as he used to be of them as they have come a long way He specifically mentions NOT the kind that slide over longer studs....But the kind sold by Spider Trax that actually bolt to the axle flange and use a separate set of studs for the wheels.
He closes by telling the person to just quit turning when he hears the tire rub and save all that cash!

Reading what that expert says, I'll hold my position!

MC

·
on line
4 Posts
OregonX- can you please list the Part # , offset, and hub bore for the American Racing Teflon Wheels you used.?

they look great on your X and i appreciate the guts it takes to cut your fenders! hopefully bushwacker or someone makes some fender flares soon.

i believe that 4wheeldrive and Sport Utility Magazine is dong an Xterra Project in the near future. maybe this will make other aftermarket companies take notice?

thanks for the help.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
tireguy said:
i believe that 4wheeldrive and Sport Utility Magazine is dong an Xterra Project in the near future. maybe this will make other aftermarket companies take notice?
They are. Jordan one of the editors of the rag is a member here.

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tireguy said:
OregonX- can you please list the Part # , offset, and hub bore for the American Racing Teflon Wheels you used.?

they look great on your X and i appreciate the guts it takes to cut your fenders! hopefully bushwacker or someone makes some fender flares soon.

thanks for the help.
No problem.

American Racing's part # is 3981-6838. 6x5.5 bolt pattern. Offset is zero. Backspacing is 4.5 inches.

Couldn't find the hub bore on any of the websites, but I could probably try and measure it if someone really wanted it.

Here's a link to them on Summit's website (with Summit's part #);
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...rt=ARE-39816838&N=700+307438+115&autoview=sku

1 - 8 of 8 Posts