Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone personally use this from amazon? Locally they are 200+. Ill save 70 bicks ordering online. Tons of great reviews but any one uses theres alot?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
You would save some $$$ by going to Harbor Freight with a coupn and get this one for $69 or $79. I have this added taillights and use a Rola bag that fits perfect and tit is light to carry and is well built

·
on line
2,233 Posts
What do you plan on loading back there? With the short wheelbase and soft springs on the Xterra putting weight behind the rear bumper really screws with the handling. I tried a hitch motorcycle hauler once on a dirt bike. I made one trip and got rid of it and went back to pulling a trailer. Leverage is a nasty thing. Every pound on the back of one of those hitch carriers is a pound and a half on the rear axle and a half pound off the front. The short wheelbase is what makes it so bad.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got aal in the rear. More so for throwing rubbish, and camping. No free ways here only high way that goes like 65 tops. The rest are trails
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
No problem using one of these or a hitch bike rack if you install Firestone airbags to prevent the rear from sagging. Before the airbags the handling was affected- after not really noticaeable

What do you plan on loading back there? With the short wheelbase and soft springs on the Xterra putting weight behind the rear bumper really screws with the handling. I tried a hitch motorcycle hauler once on a dirt bike. I made one trip and got rid of it and went back to pulling a trailer. Leverage is a nasty thing. Every pound on the back of one of those hitch carriers is a pound and a half on the rear axle and a half pound off the front. The short wheelbase is what makes it so bad.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
No problem using one of these or a hitch bike rack if you install Firestone airbags to prevent the rear from sagging. Before the airbags the handling was affected- after not really noticaeable
Another angel must have just gotten their wings! Haha

·
Registered
527 Posts
Those are good for 80 gallon coolers which is about as heavy as I'd go. Full with ice and beer and water, it's pretty damn heavy. I have one of the steel HB hitch mounted jobbies and it's rated at 500#. No way I'd hang that off my Ram with 500# let alone the X. It's not a power or suspension issue. As mentioned, the short wheel base makes hauling and towing tricky. I even bought an 18" extension for hooking up the 5x8 trailer to the X. More tongue weight but the distance between rear wheels and trailer wheels makes it less squirrelly. It's actually easier to back up now because without it just a flick of the wheel damn near jack-knifes in reverse. Wish I had a suitable tandem axle trailer for it. I've seen 5x10 TA trailers. If you still want one of those, spring for the aluminum. Should save you some weight .
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the same exact cargo carrier and have had great luck with it. It's rated for 500lbs and i've loaded 120 qt and 60 qt cooler on it.

The first time I used it with that much weight, the cargo area was full, 5 people in the X and the rear sagged and hit the bump stops on the smallest imperfections in the road. The stability of the X was all over the place.

Since them I've added the firestone airbags and the differences is incredible.

After 5-8 trips to AI, the X has been loaded with 120 and 60 qt cooler and some fire wood on the cargo carrier without a problem. I've had a total of 4 people in the car since.

Here is a picture loaded up: No ice or drinks in the coolers yet:

Canopy tent was strapped to the top of the coolers, provide just enough clearance for hatch to open. Tent is about 20-25lbs. 4 pvc pipes painted black for rod holders are held on by ubolts.

X on the beach

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Most times will be a 120qt icee freeze with ice. And maybe a few gear. Ill probably have someone custom it higher because of the terrain here. We have no freeways here so im good on the squillery part. More pics appreciated, gives me more ideas to add to this thing as im a shoreline fisherman also.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
11 Posts
Most times will be a 120qt icee freeze with ice. And maybe a few gear. Ill probably have someone custom it higher because of the terrain here. We have no freeways here so im good on the squillery part. More pics appreciated, gives me more ideas to add to this thing as im a shoreline fisherman also.
Posted via Mobile Device
I think those are the only pics I have right now or at least worth looking at. My next thing to do is to add Pauly's custom built rack. Look up Xterra Zombie lights. I am building the same rack with a 40"led light bar in front, 20" led in the back and 2 floods on each side.

With that set up, I'll still be able to use the factory crossbars for the snowboard rack for my rods, but may end up tying them down instead to use the upper rack for additional coolers or possibly a generator for a work lights.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts