Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
on line
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'05 SE with RF HU and I cant get any AM stations to come in. FM comes in fine.

Anyone else have issues? Any ideas?

Thanks
AdamB

·
on line
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I know AM is old but when there is a good football, basketball, etc game on and I have to be driving I like to listen to them so I can be in the game when I get to a tv.

·
on line
148 Posts
BakerX05 said:
Yeah I know AM is old but when there is a good football, basketball, etc game on and I have to be driving I like to listen to them so I can be in the game when I get to a tv.
even more reason for sirius! they have every sport minus MLB. shows you the scores right on the receiver!

·
on line
148 Posts
No need to worry about the sox, if your a die hard fan, the season will go like this...

...killer first month or two, they'll get our hopes up. possibility of a slump before the break, then they'll make a run for the playoffs, then let us down in true sox fashion. That is unless they sweep the world series...Again! I'll miss Mirabelli behind the plate this year when Wakefield is on the mound.

·
on line
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So now it seems my FM signal is getting weeker. Alot of the stations are getting fussy where they use to be good.

Any ideas?

·
on line
115 Posts
I had a similar problem with a five year-old Ford Expedition. The antenna cable had internally corroded to the point that the cable had partially detached from the antenna plug. The cure was replacement of the antenna base and cable.

·
on line
6,649 Posts
It could be the tuner in the stock deck is going bad too. I would start by first removing the deck and checking the antenna connection, make sure it's plugged in all the way. If that's alright then I'd get my hands on a new antenna and just plug it in to test it. If it works then you know it's the antenna...if it doesn't then I'd vote it's the tuner in the deck and would replace the deck (either aftermarket or OEM).

·
on line
9 Posts
I am showing my age.

I have been installing antenna's since the late 70's. Back when you could get a real AM tuner in your radio.

Amost all reception issues fall into 3 categories:

1. Loose cable connection at back of radio - easy fix.

2. Bad cable/broken internal conductor inside antenna - best way to check is to get a cheap 31" (you old guys will know why) whip antenna and plug it into the radio. make sure the antenna is grounded.

3. Grounding - verify your radio ground is good. then, run a ground wire from a "known ground" to the ground connection on the antenna. this is the silver metal on the outside of the cable at the connector, not the center pin.

if it is "none of the above" you have a radio issue. if you have a reception "lag" issue, sounds like your tuner is dying a slow death.

hope this helps.

·
on line
1,667 Posts
my antenna loosens frequently.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts