Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for new tires and can't decide what size, load, wheel size I need. My X is my daily driver and I don't offroad much other than easy dirt roads. I have a 2 in lift and 16 in wheels. I noticed all 285 tires for 16 in wheels are around 60 pounds, my current 265/75 are around 42. Will the weight cause a bigger drop in MPG and decrease in power thank size?

If I go to 17 in wheels, I read older pathfinder wheels will fit and found some a junk yard or buy new ones. 285/70/17 come in C load or SL (47 lbs)that only could add minimal weight. The Toyo All Country ATIII are the main ones I am looking at. If this is mainly used for light offroad do I need E load or even C load?

·
Registered
2005 Xterra 4wd 6MT 1.5" lift Heftyfab skids,Shrockworks diff guard,Hardcoreoffroad sliders
524 Posts
If you are only off roading easy dirt roads there is no need for anything over a load C I run 285/75R16 load E M/T and have noticed a little more drop in Mpg then my previous 265/75R16 A/T that were load E. But I go out doing more difficult wheeling I have 3/16" steel skids rock slider and the tires and get about 12-13 mpg mainly city and off road driving before the extra weight I got about 15-16 Mpg city

·
Registered - From Westminster, CA, USA
372 Posts
I am looking for new tires and can't decide what size, load, wheel size I need. My X is my daily driver and I don't offroad much other than easy dirt roads. I have a 2 in lift and 16 in wheels. I noticed all 285 tires for 16 in wheels are around 60 pounds, my current 265/75 are around 42. Will the weight cause a bigger drop in MPG and decrease in power thank size?

If I go to 17 in wheels, I read older pathfinder wheels will fit and found some a junk yard or buy new ones. 285/70/17 come in C load or SL (47 lbs)that only could add minimal weight. The Toyo All Country ATIII are the main ones I am looking at. If this is mainly used for light offroad do I need E load or even C load?
I just put a set of toyo open country at3 in 265/75/16 P rated.
I put 2100 miles on them, including tons of off-road driving in sand, snow, ice, rain, mud, etc and they were excellent.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I went from P265/75/16 falken wildpeaks to LT 285/75/16's general grabbers and there is definitely a difference. the truck is a bit more sluggish and mpgs has dropped, idk how much, few mpg? the tires are moisier as well, but at low speeds, not hwy..

but I got them for off pavement and snow capabilities. yes its mostly a DD, but i dont have to commute anymore since covid so its not like im driving 25 miles a day in traffic like i used. its mostly used for running around town, and trips to the mountains. Having gone from the 265's lighter load to the 285 heavier load, If I was commuting back and forth alot, I would stick with 265's, or it you want you could go up to 17" wheels and then you have some more tire choices that are alittle bigger than stock, but not LT.

sorry, im not good with all the load rating stuff terminology, but hopefully the point comes across.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I just put a set of toyo open country at3 in 265/75/16 P rated.
I put 2100 miles on them, including tons of off-road driving in sand, snow, ice, rain, mud, etc and they were excellent.

I was strongly looking at those tires, they look like they would perform really well as a do-it-all type of option.

·
Registered
2013 Pro4X, 6MT
1,301 Posts
Im running Cooper STMaxx 255/85/16s LR E and these suckers are heavy (55 to 60 lbs). Can only get them in LR E. Gas mileage took a 2 mpg hit. I will be going back to a 265/75/16 in a C load range at my next tire swap. I feel these are just too much tire for this truck. If I could get them in a lighter version i would. May look into 17s for more options.

·
Registered
2006 Xterra SE
1,069 Posts
I run 285/70/17 P rated Falken Wildpeak AT3W, I like them. (50 lbs each). No issues wheeling, but yes there's a noticeable difference between those and the 265/75/16 I had for winter tires, and the 265/65/17 I had previously. Mileage and a bit of power suffers but I like the 285s so it worth it for me.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Sounds like you don't NEED the beefier tire... so it would be more a question of preference on looks, and your actual use-age (hwy vs stop and go, and total miles you drive).
FYI, The 285 sizes are GENERALLY a size found on larger trucks, so you'll see them be the heavier load rating. You have to get picky with tire options to find 285s in the lighter load ratings... but they do exist.
With that said....
Going from stockers to heavy 285 M/T, my around town mileage dropped, but hwy is unaffected. Which makes sense... once you get them rolling, weight doesn't matter. Yeah, its more sluggish... but its still faster than econobox cars and your average car on the road, and it'll never be a sports car. It still gets out of the way when you need to merge onto a HWY or pull out onto a feeder road... but you just wind the motor up more doing it. I also made sure to avoid the HEAVIEST of the 285 M/Ts. They varied from 56lbs to 73lbs at the same size. Seemed like Nitto, General, and maybe Toyo were all on the heavy side.

I can't say how many miles it would take to offset the added cost of switching to 17s... or even how big the weight difference is between a 16 and a 17 with the same overall size tire. I would think the overall weight would be very marginal... and the 17in tires are USUALLY more expensive than their 16in counterparts. You could easily be $400 in the hole trying to shoot for marginal MPG gains.
Yes, there are 17in options from Xterras and Frontiers, and I assume the correct year pathfinder.

·
Registered
2013 Pro4X, 6MT
1,301 Posts
The only reason I'd be thinking of moving to 17" tires is there seems to be a lot more tire selection in the sizes that matter to our trucks. Not worried too much about cost at all. But I probably won't as I've already put way too much energy/effort into thinking about tire sizes and weights. ;)

·
Registered
189 Posts
I wish I could find it. There used to be a Falken tire engineer on the Frontier forum. He provided outstanding data on why you do not want to run a load E tire on our trucks. He provided photos of plates where you could see the contact patch of a Load E tire on a light weight truck and a contact patch of a regular P tire at the same and reduced air pressures. The Frontier/Xterra do not weigh enough to smash the Load E tire enough to get a proper contact patch unless you drop pressure really low for off roading. Search over there and see if you can find the thread I'm remembering. I've run Load E tires when I was wheeling in areas with a lot of sharp shale to try and prevent sidewall failure on trail. But on the street, I freaking despise them. You lose 2mpg in a truck with crap MPG already. It is noticeably slower, your shocks have a harder time handling movement from 60 pound tires vs 40. On and on. I totally respect that others have a different experience and opinion. I'm just sharing mine.

·
Registered
2013 Knight Armor S
24 Posts
I have 265/75r16 load range E ko2s. even with these i definitely noticed the weight difference, not by much though.
Inititally, i wanted range C or D.. but impossible to find any in that size. Range C or D would be most ideal, get the added comfort of knowing they're less prone to punctures but not nearly as heavy as a Load range E.
just my opinion.

·
Registered
2013 Pro4X, 6MT
1,301 Posts
I have 265/75r16 load range E ko2s. even with these i definitely noticed the weight difference, not by much though.
Inititally, i wanted range C or D.. but impossible to find any in that size. Range C or D would be most ideal, get the added comfort of knowing they're less prone to punctures but not nearly as heavy as a Load range E.
just my opinion.
I believe if one were to go to 17" rims there would be more options here. Again, I'm not going to 17 but only because I'm about sick of the whole tire thing. 265/75/16 in SL or Load Range C will be my next set.

·
Registered
2013 Knight Armor S
24 Posts
I believe if one were to go to 17" rims there would be more options here. Again, I'm not going to 17 but only because I'm about sick of the whole tire thing. 265/75/16 in SL or Load Range C will be my next set.
Same here, i almost did the same thing.
I could only find duratracs in C which i didn't want due to the stories i've heard about them. load range E is definitely overkill, however i definitely don't regret choosing them. goodluck with whatever you choose!

·
Registered - From Westminster, CA, USA
372 Posts
Yea it’s nauseating with the options. I decided to stick with SL and just went with toyo at3 and couldn’t be happier. Unless I was in severely rocky terrain all the time I don’t see another option beating these tires

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
I have looked at 17 inch wheels, and even 18 inch wheels - which is a factory size for the Frontier.

The common size for 17's is 285/70R17 which is about 33 inches, and almost only available in LT tires. Possibly they are lighter but for example K02's in C1 load range are still over 50 lbs. The narrower tires in 17 - like 275/70R17 are basically 32 inch tires. There a tiny bit larger than the stock 265/75/16's your running now. Also more expensive.

A 18 inch common 33 inch tire size is 265/70R18 - which there are a number of P rated options at about 40lbs. If I were going to change I would look at these. The 285/65R18 - I think I have that right - is more common but pretty much LT tire and ridiculously expensive. Of course finding 18 inch rims limits you to some rare Fronty rims or aftermarket.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I believe if one were to go to 17" rims there would be more options here.
Yup, 17s are more and more popular on newer vehicles... ESPECIALLY compared to 16s.
But mainly, 285/70r17 is the stock size on Rubicons... so you start to see lots of offerings in that specific size.
That's also why you start to see some in that size, but less than E rated. The only hiccup is that so many people don't mind the added E (or feel its a benefit to them), that tire companies don't have a huge draw to make a tire that's lower duty, in the same size that a larger truck wouldn't be able use.

Reactions: mtnbound
1 - 20 of 23 Posts