Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the look of the ARB front bumper, I really do. I have been thinking at work how awesome it would be. It is a bit cheaper than Schrock and Hefty, but I know performance wise it is not as good. Has anyone modified their ARB with recovery points mounted to the frame? Any pictures? How would an ARB dance with an elk, deer, or mountain goat versus a schrock or hefty?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
If you mount the stock recovery hook on the passenger side (post arb install), it does a good job of tucking the hook out of the way and can still be used as a good recovery point. Welding or bolting recovery points to the bumper doesn't appear to be a good idea.

In theory, the arb will protect you better in an animal strike because it has a crumple zone. The bumper and/or mounts may not survive though.

The major issue with the arb that I have heard people complain about is that it doesn't come with an aftermarket radiator skid so you have to source and trim one yourself. You could use the stock skid but it won't hold up long if you plan to off road. So the price is really about the same.

I have see some mounted in person and they look good. Pictures normally don't do them justice. They are good quality.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Depends what you mean by "performance". They are designed to work with the airbag and crumple zones to absorb force, not just transfer it to the frame.

I'm glad I got mine but the tow hook is the only issue in my book. I'm still working on a stock alternate (haven't been trying very hard lately). Be careful how you mount the stock tow hook, it might work better on the drivers side but from experience if you put it back on the passenger side it's not as tucked out of the way as you would like....

·
Registered
2008 Xterra Off Road
1,708 Posts
Like LizardKing said, they dont come with a radiator skid, leaving your gigantic, oversized, radiatior exposed. I think I read they are compatible with a NXrocks skidplate but Im not 100%.

After you add a skid, your paying the same money.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts