Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Am I Correct that this is Definitely the Starter?

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  smj999smj 
#1 · (Edited)
2007 Xterra automatic, 145K miles. Last night the X wouldn't start. I have the basic Schumacher automatic charger so I plugged that in, waited a few hours until it showed that it had fully charged the battery (which is 1-2 years old) and switched to maintenance mode. Oh, I also removed the battery connectors and then put them back on tightly prior to charging.

Still no start, and unlike times I've had battery issues in the past, there was no crank sound whatsoever. Just a click combined with an electronic hum. I'm pretty sure that means it's the starter, and from reading here and elsewhere, it sounds like 150K is a pretty standard replacement interval for starters, so 145K combined with being 16 years old fits.

I just wanted to run it by folks here before I go buy a starter (this X is really the first vehicle I've ever done any work on, so I'm admittedly kind of an idiot about these things for someone born the year Star Wars: A New Hope came out). The battery and wiring seem fine - for example, all the lights and everything work, and the doors lock quickly from the fob (in the past when my old battery was dying, I noticed that the door locks were kind of a tell tail bc they locked noticeably slower).

Anything else I'm leaving out? Also, does anyone have opinions on cheap starters? The Advance up the street has one from OE+ and one from Carquest, and both have remanufactured options that are cheaper. Any experience with either brand or with remanufactured ones in general?

See less See more
#2 ·
Did it crank over slowly before it died? I did mine a year ago. It was getting slower and slower until starting became intermittent. Sometimes I'd have to hold the key 5 seconds or more before it did anything. I went with a lifetime warranty re manufactured starter. I wouldn't want a unit with a short warranty.

#3 ·
That does sound like it could be a bad starter. When mine started going bad it would do this intermittently. Then when it was really having trouble I could get it to start by tapping the starter. See this thread for my experience:

For something as vital as a starter, IMO get a decent one and don't try to seek out the cheapest part.

#4 ·
Have someone try to start the X, while someone taps/hits the starter solenoid.
If it starts when you hit it, you need a new starter.
If it does not start,
Check voltage at the starter, if no voltage
Check connections are good clean and tight, starter relay and fuse.
If all that checks out, I would check ignition switch next.

I highly suspect it is just the starter solenoid.

#5 ·
Try jump starting it, to rule out the battery. My battery died a couple months ago (Optima Red Top). Showed 12.4 volts and 0 amps. My Battery Tender showed it was fully charged, and O'Reilly's machine showed it was good, but needed a charge. It was snapping and bubbling fluid out of the vent, so it was replaced under warranty.

#6 ·
I knew there was something I left out - Yes, lately it had cranked kindof lazily. Nothing that caused a problem but definitely not the prompt/fast crank. It turns out the Carquest Starter that Advance sells is only $12 more for a new one over remanufactured (?) so I just ordered that.

#7 ·
Hopefully, you'll get a good one, because it's not unheard of to get bad or faulty starters on the aftermarket. Best bet is a genuine Nissan reman. Denso or Hitachi would be the only brands I trust on the aftermarket as they make OE parts for Nissan.

#8 ·
I am facing starter issues at 215k miles on 2015 Pro 4x. One time incident so far. 5pm, after driving 100 miles and sitting for 20 minutes (first I thought it's battery but all electronics worked fine).
Nothing happened on key turn, again, nothing, key out, then it was trying but not hard enough, tried again, started ok.
5 starts across 3 days later, no issues since.

Researching aftermarket prices: $111 on Ebay for TYC,
$465 on Z1 with core, shipping, tax, $75 refund when I mail my original core - calling them, they say it's remanufactured OEM, all are now?
local dealer prices, some with core $75, some without:
$625
$500+75
$449
$568+75
$528

just for OEM starter

#9 ·
I got a new TYC starter for an 02 Taurus a few years back. It looked good, but it failed after a year and had to get another under warranty replacement. If looking at the Rockauto lineup, I'd go with either the Denso reman or a new Remy. Remy was formerly part of Delco-Remy and I've had good luck with their alternators and starters. That said, my preference is always a genuine Nissan reman.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.