Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched around and haven't found anything. I recently replaced my alternator due to squeaky bearing. I was thinking of replacing the bearing or maybe a total rebuild to keep the old one as a spare. Anyone done this and have any suggestions? Any special tools required - ie a puller for the bearing or?

Any help or suggestions are certainly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Yes! I would really like someone to chime in as searching has just turned up the you need new bearings and the rest you just have to clean really well.

What are the specs on those bearings? Link?

·
on line
2,263 Posts
I have looked into doing this as well and found youtube videos to be helpful. I ended up just buying a new one and turning in the old one for the core refund.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I have looked into doing this as well and found youtube videos to be helpful. I ended up just buying a new one and turning in the old one for the core refund.
True. I like to have a spare that I can keep switching out though. For those that replace their alternator maybe once because of bad luck its not a bad idea but some seem to replace theirs with every oil change.

·
on line
8,599 Posts
I replaced my bearings on my alternator. It's super easy!!
I went to the guy that rebuilt my alt before and asked if I could just buy the bearings from him. He charged me $10!!!

You will need a puller to get the pulley off. Then it's very simple. Bearing come right out.
For the brushes you will need to use a bent coat hanger to push the brush all the way in. Then a small piece of wire that u put through a hole on the housing. It will hold the brush back while u put the shaft with new bearing back in.
I posted a pict of the bearings and what the #s were on each of them on here a while back. But don't remember where.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
on line
8,599 Posts
Pretty sure the mean green is just a stock alt with extra winding and higher amp. It's the same housing as stock and the stock bearings are sealed also. The bearings I had bought were premium grade sealed bearings. He said they were the same ones that came in it stock.
I don't really see the need of a welder for the trail for us. Maybe if you were rockin a truggy/buggy or a serious off-roader. A onboard welder will most likely be one of those things you will end up bragging about to having but never use.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I hate to say it, but I don't remember.
I did post the #s a while ago. I might have the old ones layin around.
Best bet would be to call a local alt rebuilder and just ask if u can buy the bearings.

Gah. I literally went through all 20 pages of your posts and could not find them. I may need to find someone local and I'll post those numbers everywhere!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts