Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning on doing a bunch to the X and need CURRENT advice (this is why i'm not looking up older threads). I'm looking at a front bumper and rear bumper with carrier. I want quality products that fit without modification (NO shrock stuff). TAC Armour looks great and I could get both front and rear in one shot. Anyone have any other suggestions it will be appreciated! Remember I want well built and price really isn't a concern... just cant go overboard!lol

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hefty did great on my bumper had then move spot for fog light n did it no problem with built in front skid plate...rear I am in live with hefty dual swing out rear bumper.. it looks really good

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
TAG is hit or miss with their quality and customer service. The ones that hit are great (see: Rook), and the ones that miss (see: ckc123) are a headache and a half. I have personally helped to repair (more like rebuild) a TAG bumper for a GMC vehicle - cracked welds, poor alignment, and not a great structural design either. And that one was the exchange bumper - the guy had to return the first one he got from them. There are also plenty of tales of poor customer service across the Internet - Toyota guys, GM guys, Ford guys, a lot of them will tell you to stay away, or at least expect to get what you paid for.

To further put it into perspective, TAG was previously known as KMA (Kennebunk Mountain Accessories) and is now known as Blue Lake Offroad. Same company, three different names over the last few years. Either someone can't make up his mind or he's practicing the "clean slate" technique of business operation.

I watched a Shrock install the other week, not much modification involved. Just bolt the brackets into place, monkey the bumper in, tighten it up, and trim the fender liners (optionally, add a bracket to secure the grill better).

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So TAG isn't the best option.....:dontknow: If im gonna drop $2000 on the pair I want a quality product right! So maybe HEFTY for the front and what for the rear...?? Calmini looks OK but I want sturdy and heavy duty quality with d rings and nice placement.......

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hefty front is what I got, going with maXTERRA rear bumper cheaper perfect fit done by member here n can modify any thing you want

·
Registered
671 Posts
If shrock is out, the only other rear I would consider is maxterra. I have a TAG front, because I bought it second hand for cheap, and was able to inspect it before dropping the coin. I would not buy a TAG sight unseen.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I would suggest Hefty for the rear too, seen plenty around these parts in person and they look great (especially with the dual swing arm design).

·
Registered
762 Posts
I just got a new Hefty front bumper and sliders from them yesterday. Not only is build quality excellent! But the guys there are great, really friendly, small family ran business. I cannot say enough about how great my experience was working with them, and their turn around times are MUCH better than Shrock. I will DEFINITELY be returning to them when I decide to get around to a rear bumper.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I'm with these guys on Hefty/Maxterra bumpers....don't have personal experience with either, but have read plenty of good reviews/experiences from members here :)

You may also want to consider getting custom bumpers (that's what I have).
You can design them yourself or if you're not comfortable doing that, you can give your fabricator some key items/features you want on the bumpers and get them to do up a sketch first to make sure that's what you want.
Nothing beats having unique custom bumpers IMHO :)

Good luck to you!

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
I'm definitely a Hefty fan.
I will be going with them when it's time for my front bumper.

The guys over there are just great. Especially Chris.

On a side note, I like Hefty's dual swing arm rear bumper so much I got it twice!
see build thread

Some may think it's a bit tedious to have to open dual swing arms every time you want to open the rear hatch - doesn't bother me. The trade off is worth it imo

But, if your budget is 2k, you might have a hard time buying quality new. If you can wait, second hand may be the way to go. Seems like there's always someone reverting to stock.

I don't know the pricing of Maxterra's products, but from what I've seen on here they look like a great option as well.

·
Registered
2008 Xterra Off Road
1,708 Posts
Ive heard some bad reviews on Shrock customer service but personally, I just ordered thier front bumper and other than the expected lenthy lead time, Mark provided great customer service.

A friend of mine has a Schrock rear and its pretty sweet. Quality looks good.

I dont like the looks of the Hefty front bumper but I just got in a pair of thier sliders yesterday and I can tell you they are high quality. Chris at Hefty also provided excellent customer service.

ANOTHER OPTION for a rear bumper is from a member on here named BUCKSNORT. He has what looks to be a very nice bumper and carrier that he builds. Its cheaper than the other companies as well.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I heard that Shrock has started using Chinese steel. Something to consider when Hefty uses 100 percent American steel. I personally prefer to keep my business with companies that keep their business in the states rather than chase the extra profit.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
I have a TAG front, because I bought it second hand for cheap, and was able to inspect it before dropping the coin. I would not buy a TAG sight unseen.
Agreed. I love the look of the TAG but I'm not willing to take a chance on a new one - I'd only get one secondhand because I know it fits!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts