Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
‘06 Super Black S 5AT & ‘10 Knight Armor OR 5AT
806 Posts
Puckers ya up how fast sh1t goes south don’t it?

·
Registered
968 Posts
G lad it turned out well, scary as heck. Good video, too. Prolly a good general policy to follow is don't push rocks off cliffs.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
G lad it turned out well, scary as heck. Good video, too. Prolly a good general policy to follow is don't push rocks off cliffs.
ha yeah that pat was alittle cringy... both the act of throwing the rock down, and the fact that it looked like he was realllllly close to taking a slide with it!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Even the worst of mistakes typically starts small and grows upon itself.

Thankfully your circumstances ended on a positive note.
In addition, I respect your desire to share this event with the rest of us.

Reactions: eighty

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good job keeping a level head on the recovery. [email protected]@ happens, glad you posted so other folks can see it. Justification for a recovery gear upgrade for ya?
I was always of the opinion that I'll know if I need a winch beforehand and if I do, I'll just turn around and go back. I guess that doesn't work in all circumstances eh? I'm not too keen on having a 100lb weight in the front since this is my daily driver.. I'm looking into maybe getting a hitch in the front and then putting the winch in only when I really have to. I guess it's all about compromises.

You're probably right.. seemed harmless at the time 🤷‍♂️ (y)

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
There are several options for those which desire a compact portable winch.
Make sure you have a decent recovery point both front and back and your good to go.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Glad your ok

Did they run a steel winch line to you and then jerk you out?

What was the connection made with and where on your x? Looked to be drivers side low down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There are several options for those which desire a compact portable winch.
Make sure you have a decent recovery point both front and back and your good to go.

That's awesome. Is 4k enough though? I like how nice and compact it is.

There's also this DV-6 (Std. drum / Long drum) / Self-Recovery Winch for a 6k single line pull, mounts directly to the 2" reciever.

That's a good lessons-learned video. Lockers help a lot. Question; were you aired-down at all or running hi-way pressure in the tires?
I'm quite embarrassed. I used to airdown but I got lazy and didn't do it this time. Highway pressure. Do you figure it would've helped?

Glad your ok

Did they run a steel winch line to you and then jerk you out?

What was the connection made with and where on your x? Looked to be drivers side low down.
I have a heavy duty frame mounted point on the driver side with a d-shackle. The tow strap from the rubicon was attached to that.

The other tow strap was attached to the hook on the passenger side, and terminated at a nearby tree. The idea was if I started coming downhill, the tree-anchored strap would prevent us both from sliding down.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Is 4k enough?
It's a compromise.

4k single (8k doubled) will go a long way towards helping a person out of a lot of troubles.

If your looking for a winch to pull you out of an axle deep bog hole, your going to want something better.

In the end, you will need to assess your own needs and make the right choice.
In my case, my offloading is typically on flat ground, offroad trails with trees close by.
For those times I may need a little help, a portable winch would be nice to have around.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
I’d like more info on the tow strap, seemed very static, almost zero stretch. The impact moment forces looked to be sizable I am grateful it was to a rated anchor vs control arm or other large member.

I’ve never met anyone who wished they had a smaller winch. To each their own however and knowledge often trumps shortfalls. Sometimes being smarter than the problem is enough for a favorable outcome :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks for the video, glad you and the family are safe.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
In my younger years I used what I could afford, which was a two ton come-a-long.

This was never a fun undertaking, but it beats waiting for help to find me.

Reactions: mtnbound and eighty

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’d like more info on the tow strap, seemed very static, almost zero stretch. The impact moment forces looked to be sizable I am grateful it was to a rated anchor vs control arm or other large member.

I’ve never met anyone who wished they had a smaller winch. To each their own however and knowledge often trumps shortfalls. Sometimes being smarter than the problem is enough for a favorable outcome :)

Good question. I had 2 tow straps. One rated 5k pounds one 18k. I ended up using using the wrong one for the actual pull. We did not setup the pull well, I don’t think. We did not clear the area around my vehicle (second pull failure) or set my wheels correctly (first pull). If we’d done that much less force would’ve been required.

I think I’m gonna get a small winch. I hate the idea of waiting for help less than I hate carrying a boat anchor every day on my vehicle. For this recovery a small winch woulda been just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Wise old woodsman told me once that “winches on the front of a truck are almost always used to get other folks out of trouble, and yourself deeper into trouble.” That man was my father and his advice rings true for me in my travels. I rarely find myself wanting to go forward from where I’m stuck but if your going through hell you have to keep on going. My old blazer had winches on the front and the back LOL. Good luck with the endeavor.

Me thinking:
If I ditch the under tire spare I’d have room for a winch.. no no no those days are over ... but maybe...

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Good question. I had 2 tow straps. One rated 5k pounds one 18k. I ended up using using the wrong one for the actual pull. We did not setup the pull well, I don’t think. We did not clear the area around my vehicle (second pull failure) or set my wheels correctly (first pull). If we’d done that much less force would’ve been required.

I think I’m gonna get a small winch. I hate the idea of waiting for help less than I hate carrying a boat anchor every day on my vehicle. For this recovery a small winch woulda been just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keep the straps to act like extensions for your winch if it’s a 4K you’ll almost always need to double it with any serious pulls. I got a rippin deal on synthetic rope shackles on amazon. Those are game changers take so much mass out of the system.

Those both look like static or low stretch straps to me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for posting the video. That was a nail-biting reverse slide. Airing down would have given you some more grip, but hard to say if it would have avoided the situation. Glad you got out safely. Over here we use kinetic recovery straps, aka snatch straps, to reduce the shock on the frame for two-vehicle recoveries.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts