Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found the rack at Academy sporting goods (similar to Dick's/Sports Authority if you're not familiar) for $99 and couldn't pass it up.
Only problem was it wouldn't fit because my spare sticks out too far on the bumper. They make versoins for rear mounted spares but the prices jump way up and I would have to mail order.
After looking at extensions and finding them all to be around $50+ I stumbled across this ATV receiver adapter for $18 (see pic below). It worked perfect, gets the rack out far enough to clear the spare... I could even get the spare off without removing the rack if necessary.
The rack itself is a great buy if anyone is looking; all the features of the Yak/ Thule, etc but less money. It folds down to open hatch and the bike carrier part folds down when not carrying bikes (see pic).
hitch adapter:

Tire clearance:

Folded up:

·
on line
65 Posts
where did you find the atv adapter?

·
on line
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found the ATV adapter at Academy sporting goods.

Steered away from the spare tire rack because of the offset of the spare... just figured it would leave the bikes sticking out too far on the driver side.

Well, we learn from experience... my first trip this morning proved that adapter was not foolproof and actually ended up rotating just a bit after driving about 20 miles. I'll just throw a tack weld at the base where it meets the hitch and that will solve it... that particular ball mount doesn't drop far enough for me to use anyway so it can stay permanently attached to the rack.
All in all i'm still happy with it since the price was so good.

·
on line
576 Posts
I am still representing my Louisiana license plate. I know I should get CO plates, but nothing like passing Colorado Jeeps and they spot the Louisiana plates.

But I have a dumb question, why do people blur out the plates when posting pics. Is the risk really that high?

·
on line
1,884 Posts
PonyBoy said:
But I have a dumb question, why do people blur out the plates when posting pics. Is the risk really that high?
I'm with Pony on this one. Considering how many people see your plate every day on the road...Well at least Pony's palte. My X is invisible next to the SAS bad boy!!! :cheers:

·
on line
576 Posts
RogueClimber said:
PonyBoy said:
I'm with Pony on this one. Considering how many people see your plate every day on the road...Well at least Pony's palte. My X is invisible next to the SAS bad boy!!! :cheers:
Rob, where the hell you been man!? Its been too long.

·
on line
564 Posts
Very nice setup!

Dude, those neon green cranks are so '90s...very retro!

Rob

·
on line
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the license plate risk is pretty much nil; i guess just habit from all the security crap i haved drilled into me nonstop in my job.

robnfl said:
Very nice setup!
Dude, those neon green cranks are so '90s...very retro!
Rob
I have officially accepted the fact that my bike set-up is old school. Once I quit racing i ended getting into so many other hobbies that as long as the bike still worked i wasn't going to pour money into it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts