Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
on line
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am getting a aries brush gurad for my x cus im 18 and dont have cash to buy a shock bumper but thats not what i am asking for help. i notice on most peoples riggs that they have lights on there bumper or brush guard weather it be piaa hella or w/e. my question is can you use those lights that are considered driving lights that i see on piaa's or pro comps website. can you use your lights on the street along with you regular driving lights or only when no one is around. and how would two 100 watt driving lights effct my battery and alternator. remeber im am just asking about peoples lights on there bumper not on their rack i know those are not legal on the street.

thanks a bunch for helping out a inexsperianced 18 year old :faroah:

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Well, I believe that as long as they are 55w lights or lower, they can be used as driving lights. Some states may be different, but here in Texas you can have your lights on as long as they are level with the headlights or lower, and they are aimed correctly (ie. not pointing upwards)

Alot of people here are running Hella 500's which are 55w and can be used as driving lights.

Hope this helps.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
I run PIAA 520s, driving lights, two on my bumper. I'm not sure about the legality, although my impression was that combined with the stock lights, they're illegal in CA. But for practical purposes, they're just too intense for oncoming traffic. When I've tried them on, even alone, opposing drivers want to kill me. And when I checked them myself, I could see why!

My advice would be: get the brightest lights you can afford (I'd recommend "driving" lights) if you want to go offroad, and use them for trails only. And if your rig stays on the street, save your money for other mods.

Battery/alternator. Two, or even four standard Hellas or PIAAs, or whatever, used with the engine running, won't pose a problem. But as you add mods, winch, lights, on-board air, etc., this starts to put a serious drain on the elec. system. Also, the jostling and bouncing off-road are hard on stock batteries. All things to consider. Good luck.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
like these guys have implied... it's probably best to check your own local/state laws. They can usually be found online... or just ask a state trooper.

·
on line
264 Posts
in ct there is a total wattage limit that you cant exceed i believe its 300w or 250 total. so when you headlights and/or stock fog lights are on then u have to subtract their wattage and whats left is how much power your off road lights can put out.

·
on line
4,919 Posts
lifeinthesouth said:
like these guys have implied... it's probably best to check your own local/state laws. They can usually be found online... or just ask a state trooper.
X2

I have 4 100W 7" lights on my aries brush guard and they are definately not legal to run on the road. I've been pulled over a couple times just for having them on the X ( I only have rock guards, not full covers which is the law in some states). I got away with it b/e I said that they weren't hooked up and the officers couldn't see a switch for them. Luckily, I've got one of those pilot remote switching systems. Just call up your state trooper's office and ask them, or, if you want , take a chance and put them on anyway

·
on line
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks a bunch for the info i think its about the same all around but did your aries brush guard give you any trouble when you instilled it and is it a soild or a 3 peaice set up

·
on line
4,919 Posts
Xkid23 said:
thanks a bunch for the info i think its about the same all around but did your aries brush guard give you any trouble when you instilled it and is it a soild or a 3 peaice set up
It's a 3-piece, and it's a snap to install. One thing I dislike is that you lose your recovery hook if you use the hardware included w/the brush guard. I got longer bolts and added the hook.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts