Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have a set of Cooper ST/MAXX with about 7k on them. All of a sudden they sound louder. I check pressure, did a chalk test everything seems to in order. Pressure is at 36 all around, chalk all rubbed off. Could it be a wheel bearing? Is there a way to diagnose this further?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Is it a humming noise? Does the noise get louder as you accelerate? To check wheel bearings... lift up the car and rock the tire from side to side. If there's play or woobling, it could be your wheel bearing. As the post above, try balancing or rotating your tires first to see if the noise goes away.. it's a quick and inexpensive fix if that turns out to be the problem.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
might be due for a balance and rotation, i do my ko2s every 5 k and they are whisper quiet
I'll check with the tire place. Probably about time.

Is it a humming noise? Does the noise get louder as you accelerate? To check wheel bearings... lift up the car and rock the tire from side to side. If there's play or woobling, it could be your wheel bearing. As the post above, try balancing or rotating your tires first to see if the noise goes away.. it's a quick and inexpensive fix if that turns out to be the problem.
Do I need to lift both corners or would one corner suffice?

Did you recently start driving around with your windows open? Any feathering on the outside edge of your front tires?
That was my first though too. It's getting warmer so the windows are open of course, but it's loud with closed windows too. It's either getting louder or I just never noticed it before. No feathering.

Thanks for all the advice.

·
Some random dude
353 Posts
This possibly doesn't help you, but my ST/MAXXs have about 15k on them, and I haven't really noticed any unusual/concerning change in the sound of them (other than the first time I drove on gravel and picked up like 50 billion rocks, couldn't figure out what that stupid clicking noise was for a while...).

There was a slight change when I rotated the fronts to the back (had bad alignment so they were wearing funny), but they have settled down as they wear back to normal. Wasn't anything too overly noticeable, though.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All open void tires get louder as they wear. Cooper ST/Maxx tires need to be rotated at least every 5,000 miles. I rotate mine every 4,000 miles. It makes a difference in the noise.
Rotated the tires, the noise went down significantly. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Rotation is key with ST Maxx's. Intervals over 5000 miles tend to cup the tires and create annoying resonances.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe wishful thinking, the noise came back. Dropped by my mechanic's, he said it's most likely the bearings. He said one way to diagnose is to swerve a bit. The weight transfer causes the noise to go down significantly. I dont know that loud tires wouldn't do the same, but he said it's most likely bearings.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I had the front pass bearing go out, it never made a sounds that ws very loud, the main way i could tell the bearing was shot was there was play in the steering wheel and esp over bumps. also the breaks would squeak/ grind in that corner.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
...and the exciting conclusion. Just talked to my mechanic -- both passenger and driver fronts are loose $250 canadian/pop + 2 hours worth of labour. With 80k miles on the odo. I put on 1.5" spacers about 10k ago. Is it par for the course or a symptom of another problem?

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
...and the exciting conclusion. Just talked to my mechanic -- both passenger and driver fronts are loose $250 canadian/pop + 2 hours worth of labour. With 80k miles on the odo. I put on 1.5" spacers about 10k ago. Is it par for the course or a symptom of another problem?
Wheel spacers will accelerate wear of wheel bearings, yes. Suspension spacers will not. Not sure which “spacers” you have.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wheel spacers. 3 mechanics came by and told me how much of a mistake they are. I know they are not great, but can anyone qualify how not great they are?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
191 Posts
Wheel spacers. 3 mechanics came by and told me how much of a mistake they are. I know they are not great, but can anyone qualify how not great they are?

They cause extra strain on your hubs by moving the weight out away from them

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I get that there’s more torque on the bearings due to the longer lever arm..but how much faster do they wear out? 10% faster? 50% faster? Car has over 100k Kms of which only the last 10k were with spacers.

·
Registered
557 Posts
...I haven't really noticed any unusual/concerning change in the sound of them (other than the first time I drove on gravel and picked up like 50 billion rocks, couldn't figure out what that stupid clicking noise was for a while...).
haha a friend of mine has these tires on his cherokee and it sounded like a horse trotting on pavement at low speeds after driving on gravel.

As for the wheel spacers.. I've had mine for about 9 months and haven't had an adverse effects yet. Shops will blame the spacers for every noise on your ride though. Even an obvious U-joint issue.

Air bag light? - "Oh, that's cause you have those wheel spacers."

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Nobody can say for certainty how much faster your bearings will wear out when using a wheel spacer.
To be clear, you have over 100k on your X and bearings don't last forever.
I've seen bearings last 200K and I've seen bearings last 20K.

Install a quality set of bearings and see how long they last.
You may trade your X before the new bearings fail again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts