Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Xterra Pro-4X - Lava Red
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just did the subject install this weekend. Everything went pretty smoothly, considering how long I presume things have been bolted together.

Before Heights - After Heights (all were floor to fender, after was after a bit of driving to semi settle things)
LF/RF 33.50" 35.00" (1.5" lift)
RR/LR 35.25" 37.75" (2.5" lift) My old springs must have been sagging.

For the U-bolts, I cut them to length before install (with the nuts on), then chamfered the edge. I used my vise to squeeze them to the right width before install (made it easy to install the bottom plate).

I do have the vibration from 25-40 ish, so just ordered the 2 degree shims. Forgot to order them with the rest - oops! A couple of clamps and a 2x2 made it easy to hold the spring/axle together to install u-bolts and bottom plate.

Before lift

After lift

Old shocks and new shocks are almost the same length

New shock installed

Old springs vs new springs

U-bolts cut and chamfered (and you can see how much I cut off)

Clamps holding axle to spring

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nice. I have had the same setup for about 2 months and it rides great. I also have a slight vibration at 30mph. Let us know how the shims work out, I was also planning on ordering them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That looks good I'm seriously considering it but I need new leafs so I was thinking of going around 1.5 in the back and the all dog medium springs with the 5100s in the front.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey guys, excuse my ignorance on this, but what are shims and how do they affect this suspension build? I'm ordering this same package this week and havent seen any mention of shims from All Dogs or Rye the Car Guy

·
Registered
2006 Xterra S M6 and 2010 Xterra Off Road
106 Posts
When you add taller leaf springs, it changes your driveshaft and pinion angles. You need to adjust your axle pinion angle so that it gets everything happy again. Its a small wedge that just tilts the nose of the axle a bit towards the transmission.

Google Pinion Shims or 'axle shims'....should find it.

·
Registered - From Westminster, CA, USA
254 Posts
I’ve had the same set up for about 6 months now and I like it. Have done some really long road trips, and plenty of travel off road in them.
I like that I can haul a lot of weight and maintain the ride height.

They also feel better offroad compared to on road.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That looks good I'm seriously considering it but I need new leafs so I was thinking of going around 1.5 in the back and the all dog medium springs with the 5100s in the front.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I was surprised I had that much lift in the rear. You may want to measure your heights and see how they compare to mine. ADO indicates ~2" in the front and rear. I have a winch/WAM carrier on the front, so that may explain that difference, and my rears were probably really worn out.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice. I have had the same setup for about 2 months and it rides great. I also have a slight vibration at 30mph. Let us know how the shims work out, I was also planning on ordering them.
Shims are scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Will install Thu or Fri, then we will let y'all know.

·
Registered
2006 Xterra S M6 and 2010 Xterra Off Road
106 Posts
Is 1.5 in the front the max you can do with the 5100s?
I read PRG said that anything above 1 1/2" the ride gets harsh. I think saw someone post somewhere they did the full 2" the 5100s allow and thought it was too harsh...

So take that for what you will. My plan is to only go 1 to 1 1/2" when I put them on mine.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is 1.5 in the front the max you can do with the 5100s?
From what I can tell (check out the third picture) the clip is on the lowest setting, so there is room to move it up for more. Mine is likely only 1.5" due to winch and carrier up front. One of these days I may try moving the clip up one for another 0.5".

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Shim install went fine. Also installed the adjustable camber bolts and got an alignment. Unfortunately it has not fully resolved the problem. Still working with ADO to try and resolve.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After much measuring, research, and discussion with ADO and others, I'll be replacing the 2 degree shims with some 4 degree shims. Will report back once that is complete and let y'all know if that resolves. Now to find/get the shims...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got the 4 degree shims, and got them installed. They helped reduce the vibration between ~27 & 38 mph, but didn't get rid of it fully. So, I remeasured the angles, and tried to figure out it could be.

Finally came up with another possibility. The Xterra has a CV joint at the differential end of the driveshaft. It has likely been in there for about 93k miles. running at close to the same angle for its full life. What if it were worn some, so changing the angle made the bearings run out of the worn zone? Well today I installed a new rear CV joint (that was pretty easy), and for good measure I replaced the front U-joint too (that was a pain). The old CV had some slop, and the old U was slightly rough.

Now the vibration is almost completely gone. I think I still feel it, but it is a fraction of what it was. It could be that the vibration was there before all of this, but since it was so minor I didn't notice. Regardless, it is now minimal enough that I am done with it.

Also, now after running on the new leafs for around 500 miles I remeasured the heights (I also adjusted the front shocks up one notch.
(original heights were my Xterra with 90+K miles and 265/75R16 Cooper Discoverer AT/3 tires. Also a WAM winch carrier and Smittybilt X2O 10K winch.)
Front height is up 1 7/8" at 35.375" from the ground to the fender.
Rear height is up 1 7/8" at 37.125" from the ground to the fender

The ride is almost good as prior to the lift. and it can now handle big bumps without bottoming in the rear.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts