Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was passing someone near my house and dropped the hammer and then noticed that I lost all power and that every dash light was on including the SES. I first thought that the engine had died but it was still on. I found a safe place to pull over and checked it out. I was able to limp the last block to my house and just make it up my hill. I've tried starting it several times and it is still not wanting to rev above 2500 rpm. I don't have a code reader and can't limp it to an Autozone. I disconnected the battery and switched the ECM relay with the fog light relay to see if it is the IPDM. It is still not working. Any ideas???? how can I get it out of limp mode? I think it's possible that the MAP or thottle body sensor failed due to me running it at a high RPM. I have a volant. I'm going to disconnect the battery tonight and swap out air filters and see if that helps. Any info is greatly appreciated!!! I need to hit the mountains soon! Thanks

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
Leave the battery disconnected for a while, it fixed mine

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Without codes I would say clean/dry out the MAF first, very easy to do. Cats could also be a cause, but I second ROOK and have seen more MAF complaints, here and on CF

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help. I'll search for how to clean the MAF since I've heard that it can be a bit of a diva and try that tomorrow after I install the clean filter and reconnect the battery.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
There are two screws to remove it, then spray it down with MAF cleaner, let dry, reinstall. Of course you want to do this with the battery disconnected. Very easy. If it just got wet it should be fine after drying out, if you have an oiled filter it may be oil-fouled.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just cleaned the MAF with the correct cleaner, installed a newly cleaned Volant filter, and reconnected the battery. Nada. If a bad cat can cause the safe mode that could be it. I checked the code without a scanner using the "flash system" and came up with 0430 which is a bad cat. I just replaced that cat when I installed headers. I thought it was just a stored code. I'm ready to take it to an exhaust shop or "gulp" stealership. Any last ideas? Thanks for the suggestions so far.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Our emissions warranty is like 85k and 2018, isn't it? Depending on vehicle, of course.
Yeah I wish it would of had this problem then...I have 145K on the clock.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all of the help guys. The P0430 was just a stored code from when I replaced the Cat. Looks like it was throttle related. It threw a throttle code and the mechanic I took it to cleaned the intake and then reset the ECU. Must have sucked up some carbon from throttle body and freaked out. Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts