Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

All 4 Tires are Losing Air !?!

3K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  AZ-Ted 
#1 ·
Hi All,

This is the 2nd time in the past 3 weeks that the TPMS light came on. Both times I checked tire pressure to find that I was 10-15 PSI low. The first time I pumped them back up thinking it was the cold weather. This time I drove to work (8 miles) to see if warming the tire up would turn off the sensor but it didn't so I pumped them back up.

I was thinking it would be a leak, but that seems unlikely since its all 4 tires. Any ideas? TIA

#5 ·
I'm wondering if your valve cores have worked themselves loose... 10-15 PSI is a lot, even for weather changes.

Are you checking them when the rig is completely cold each time? Your tire pressure can come up a fair amount while driving and doesn't go down for a while, so make sure you're doing an apples-to-apples comparison.

Also, what kind of tires do you have, and at what pressure do you normally run them? Has the spare also lost air?

#8 ·
hahaha... reminds me of some buffoonery from when I was younger.

Are you 100% sure nobody is messing with you? This is exactly the sort of thing I would do to punk a buddy if I knew it would drive him nuts and could watch (and laugh about it over a beer later- I'm not malicious toward my friends.)

#10 ·
When the temperature outside drops, the air pressure in your tires drops also. I see you are in California....Have you had a cold front roll through?

#13 ·
^^I always have to add a little air at the onset of "winter".

#16 ·
I found the problem.

I had a brad nail in 3 of the tires causing a very slow leak, must have picked them up all at once on the road. The 4th tire was probably just low.

Pulled them out and plugged the holes, everything seems ok now.
Glad you found your issue. An external tire plug is typically viewed as a temporary fix. A more permanent fix would be to do an internal tire patch (removing the tire, and applying a patch from the inside).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.