Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have 2012 xterra 4x4 I just put a 2 inch lift on front and back, also installed cam bolts for the lower control arms. My question is I took it to a place to get an alignment and it tracks great turns well but I have a little bit of this \ / going on 1.2 degrees on each side according to thier readout. I can barely see it The guy told me it was the best he could do without throwing caster way off. Final caster left 2.5. Right 2.1. Alignment left and right1.2 . Toe .25 both sides. Is this typical of a xterra with 2 inch lift? Thanks for the help.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
yeah, unless you have aftermarket uca's as well, its tough to get a really good alignment on a lifted xterra. I have SPC uca's as well as cam bolts and they still have a hard time getting my alignment right. I need to go to someone who really knows what theyre doing with a lifted truck.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've heard a few times Firestone is good with lifted alignments.

As far as the other people you would be beating a dead horse to try to get your money back maybe you could reach an agreement for a discounted service... oil change or something

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
acasper, does your car wander because I would guess the caster is off? Just wish someone on here would give me an honest answer as to what is normal or what I should do? The rear a arm cam bolts are pushing the arm out as far is they can and the front cam bolts are pulling the front of a arm inward but not all the way. I am guessing if they made the front cam bolts push the front of the arm out it might fix some camber but mess up the caster and the car would wander. Does this make sense? I'm trying to understand.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am having similar issues since I had my OME kit installed a couple of weeks ago. The guys at the offroad shop that did the install say they can't do any more to reduce the positive camber with the Nisstec camber bolts. And yes, my truck wanders more than I would like. I'm going to call Nisstec later on and see what they tell me.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts

·
on line
8,599 Posts
Nope
My truck finally drives great. My cams were seized and finally got new LCAs and replaced them a while ago. I set the cam bolts all the way out then drove to a shop down the street to get a alignment.
All the shop did was have to adjust the tie rods for steering.

Caster is pretty much permanently set into the design of the knuckle and A arms.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
74 Posts
Talked to Nisstec and they said their camber bolts should allow the alignment to get closer to factory specs. Went back to my shop and they were able to dial it back to .5 degrees positive camber on both sides although caster is a little bit more than ideal according to the factory specs. Now the truck definitely feels better, not so wallowy.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I've heard a few times Firestone is good with lifted alignments.

As far as the other people you would be beating a dead horse to try to get your money back maybe you could reach an agreement for a discounted service... oil change or something
I take my lifted X to Firestone. If you go to Firestone invest in their lifetime alignment. I paid for it online and it only cost me $169. I can go whenever and to any Firestone that I like for as long as I own the X.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Talked to Nisstec and they said their camber bolts should allow the alignment to get closer to factory specs. Went back to my shop and they were able to dial it back to .5 degrees positive camber on both sides although caster is a little bit more than ideal according to the factory specs. Now the truck definitely feels better, not so wallowy.
That's good. The article I posted suggests that caster isn't as important anyway...

Do you know if they simply ran out of adjustment on the cam bolts?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Honestly I am not sure but my guy feeling is that the tech who worked on my truck got tired of adjusting it. Now I have to go back to show them how he nicked up all four of my rims installing the alignment rigs . . . ugh. This is yet another example of why I do as much work as I can myself!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
As an add-on to this thread - I had my alignment done today after my 1.75" lift and after putting in Moog cam bolts myself. The shop does a lot of work on modded vehicles and with the cam bolts maxed out, he couldn't get the alignment "perfect" (I requested 0 degrees camber and got 0 on one side and +0.5 on the other).

Even with cam bolts, I don't think there is enough adjustment on every X to get "perfect".

·
Registered
216 Posts
Even with cam bolts, I don't think there is enough adjustment on every X to get "perfect".
That's why manufacturers specify an alignment range and not specific numbers. With manufacturing tolerances being what they are vehicles rolling off the line are all going to be slightly different.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts