Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
on line
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I took the X to the local Firestone service center after putting on the lift to have the alignment set. When I picked up the truck they had this pretty little print out with some numbers correlating to the L/R camber, caster and toe. Now I dont know the first thing about aligning a vehicle but when I saw 3 of 4 numbers were highlighted for camber and caster I asked if that meant those numbers were outside of factory specs and they guy said yes. What bothers me is what he said next... He said that the camber and caster COULD NOT be adjusted on my vehicle and that they could only set the toe. Are you freaking kidding me? I have what I thought were the camber adjustment bolts as my X is an early '05 model. Am I once again falling victim to piss poor service in the DC area? AAAGGGHHH!!!!! :banghead:

·
on line
1,320 Posts
i've heard of others going to have it adjusted and firestone not knowing where/or how to adjust with the adjustable camber bolts

·
on line
240 Posts
Firestone may have the lifetime alignment, but the tech's are retarded. When i changed springs on my Z28, I went their to get my alignment done and found that they were clueless on what to do if any ajustment besides toe was needed. Caster, camber, LOL!!! I, yes me, had to show them where all the adjustemtns were as all 5 techs were standing around my car scratching their butts.

·
on line
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice, this should make for a fun afternoon....

·
on line
2,540 Posts
I think I still have my printout from Firestone. If I do, I'll check to see if they were able to correct mine but as I recall, there wasn't anything that said they couldn't.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Pony 1st discovered this, He posted ruined bolts. When I checked into it, I discover his bolts were ruined because they were the non adjustable type and someone tried to adjust them. What happened was, in 05 they used a non adjustable bolt for some reason, maybe they ran out who knows, But... There is a TSB on it and what to do about it. All this info is already posted here in places you have looked already. Time spent reading the threads all the way through is valuable, The responses just as important as the post.... we hash things out and wrestle a bit and come to a conclusion that.....if you read, you will get all the info. It's all right here, use the search button. Hope you got the lifetime warranty, because you need new bolts and the dealer would have done it under the TSB for free. MC

·
on line
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll verify the born-on date for my truck after work. I figured that since the bolts looked like every other adj bolt I've ever seen that they were just that. Didn't realize the post 8-05 built rigs had bolts with tick marks and all that look exactly like adjustable ones but obviously aren't.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
muzikman said:
Pony's were adjustable were they not? He said he had never tried getting an alighnment before they were removed.

http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=189&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=135
I showed that picture that pony posted to my Service manager, he was the one that told me that those were non adjustables. Not sure why he said that. But he knew soon as he looked at the picture and showed me in the Nissan computer what the deal was. It was a long time ago. MC

·
on line
589 Posts
Where does one find the production date on the X?

EDIT: There may not usually be stupid questions, but this one was pretty close to that. Found the Production Date :cheers:

·
on line
15,651 Posts
usmc xterra said:
muzikman said:
Pony's were adjustable were they not? He said he had never tried getting an alighnment before they were removed.

http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=189&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=135
I showed that picture that pony posted to my Service manager, he was the one that told me that those were non adjustables. Not sure why he said that. But he knew soon as he looked at the picture and showed me in the Nissan computer what the deal was. It was a long time ago. MC
Did he show you what the adjustable bolts loked like? I would really like to see a picture of them.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
the bolts that look like the head is off-center and have the tick marks ARE the adjustable ones.
The non-adjustable have the bolt head in the center and what appears to be a washer but is actulally attached to the head of the bolt.

EDIT: here's a pic of adjustables but since they're aftermarket do not have the tick marks
http://www.purenissan.com/camber_kit.htm

·
on line
641 Posts
lifeinthesouth said:
the bolts that look like the head is off-center and have the tick marks ARE the adjustable ones.
The non-adjustable have the bolt head in the center and what appears to be a washer but is actulally attached to the head of the bolt.

EDIT: here's a pic of adjustables but since they're aftermarket do not have the tick marks
http://www.purenissan.com/camber_kit.htm
X2

·
Read Only
656 Posts
I've been meaning to go to Firestone for their lifetime alignment, but wondered if I should get the adustable camber bolts first. Mine is an '06 so do I have the adjustable or non-adustable ones? Where can I find the TSB that deals w/ this issue? Is it true that the dealership will spring for the bolt change if I tell them I'm having alignment issues? ThanX for filling me in since I just stumbled onto this thread and been trying to read all the previous posts.

·
on line
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Its official, DOM = 03/05. Camber bolts look like this (click to enlarge):

Going back to Firestone in the AM to get the camber adjusted.

·
on line
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Its not that FS couldn't get it back into alignment. In fact they never even tried. They just assumed that all new X's could not be adjusted. I spoke to the manager on the phone this afternoon and explained the situation to him. He said to bring it down in the morning and they would take care of it.

Also the UCA's aren't knocking nearly as bad as I originally posted. The hood wasn't closed completely causing the knock I was hearing. There is a light mark on the coil buckets but nothing significant. One of these days I'll put the truck up in the air and check on the UCA/coil bucket clearance.

·
on line
735 Posts
the late production '05's didn't have the adjustable cam washer type of contol arm bolts- I guess their supplier didn't come through.

I had mine replaced. they installed them straight up just like the non adjustables, basically. Anyways, the outsides of my tires wear since the xterra/frontier calls for a degree of positive camber (top of wheel farther out).

I think they didn't align mine...

Does anybody else get outside edge tire wear on the fronts?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts