Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
on line
14,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's the deal; back in mid-July I put on the new tires and PRG lift (BFG ATs w/ front spacer and rear 5125s w/ Deaver AAL). Pretty common lift, right? Well, ever since then I have had to take the X in for alignments and toe adjustments about every week! I called PRG today and they mentioned that the way most shops align, computerized and on the racks, is not the way to go. The old-school alignment is what they like, as detailed in the install instructions that come w/ their lift. Anyone else w/ me on this?! Advice?

·
on line
2,077 Posts
you may wanna double check, that may be why your having continuous alignment problems.

look at the bolts that connect the lower control arms to truck, the bolts that hold them in place will be off-center from the washer if you have the bolts.

·
on line
131 Posts
Once you determine that you have the right bolts (or not), find a good 4X4/Off Road shop and let them align it. That's what I did after installing the camber bolts, Top Gunz spacers and AC shackles, and that was almost a year ago with (knock on wood) no problems so far. The alignment was about $40.00 and they did it the old-fashioned way, what ever way that was.

·
on line
14,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're saying Firestone will not align the old way? And that's where I had it aligned the past two times, though the most recent adjustment seems to be holding the best so far. I'm beginning to wonder if I need to take it back to the shop that did the install and see if they did something wrong.

·
on line
98 Posts
I used front spacers and rear shackles on my 05 Frontier NISMO and had the alignment done at a shop that had a brand new "Hunter" laser alignment rack and had no problems whatsoever.

·
on line
735 Posts
They'll give as many bad alignments as you want for free, but if you pay $80 and get the camber bolts, you'll probably not need to do it again for a few years.

A friend of mine used to work at firestone. They only gave him about $12 to do an alignment and it took 20 minutes or more just to get the car on the rack. go somewhere where they pay the tech $40 so he can put a little TLC on the adjustments.

·
on line
14,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, my alignment is still pulling to the right just two weeks after my last adjustment. They even over-compensated to the left to take count for this again. I'm thinking about just replacing my camber bolts, any possibility they could just be bad or warped or something?

Also, seeing a few different options when looking at camber bolts in that some offer 4 bolts, washers, and nuts whereas some only offer 2. How many do I need to replace the old setup, 2 or 4?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts