Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently changed my front diff oil, I had been going to dealer for a long while and just assumed (We all know what ASSUME stands for right?) that dealer checked it every oil change.

Well, It was found to be close to 50% low on fluid. I never looked at it, That is like low on the list of things I check because I used to be a New car mechanic and we checked every singe one off the truck, Obviously that did not get done to mine. No signs of leaks and I was 1st one who busted the diff fill on the front.

So, I highly suggest people be sure to take a look see. I measured the fluid coming out, and in, It is full (1.9 Pts, Almost a Qt.) when the fluid is just dripping out the fill-check plug when on a level surface.

Not a sign one of any leak anywhere. ever. So, I guess I been running on 1.2 Pt for last 30K miles, great! ASSUME again!

This would even be dumber had I not told you about it.

MC

·
on line
564 Posts
Wow! I checked my rear dif at about 3k miles...I guess I better get my lazy ars under the truck and check the trany and front dif fluid levels.

Thanks MC.

Rob

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Will check mine all around first chance I get. Thanks for the tip. I've been asking the dealer abt. the diff fluid, and they have reassured me all along, but I too have been taking their word for it.

MC, so your fluid was probably low when you blew out your diff? How much of a contributing factor might that have been?

·
on line
18 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I have a date with the X for sure this weekend.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
d-rap said:
Will check mine all around first chance I get. Thanks for the tip. I've been asking the dealer abt. the diff fluid, and they have reassured me all along, but I too have been taking their word for it.

MC, so your fluid was probably low when you blew out your diff? How much of a contributing factor might that have been?
As far as I know, MC hasn't blown a diff...yet. :)

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea I have not blown a diff, (Yet but considering the level be no surprise) but I am wondering if that low fluid level is not a major contributing factor in those who have. On the way to work it sure did seem a lot quieter. MC

·
on line
463 Posts
Thanks MC for watching out for Us !
Now, out of guilt and indifference to the dealers, I'll be checking mine too !

JB

·
on line
527 Posts
I dont trust anyone to do my maintenance. I took my truck to get the oil changed at valvoline once only because I did not have time to do it myself before a trip. When I got home I was so restless I crawled under the truck to check the filter and drain plug. The oil change after that I noticed that there were only bolts in every other hole in the stock front skid. Im not 100% sure it was them but those bolts dont just fall out. I will never take my truck somewhere again unless it is for warranty work.

·
on line
371 Posts
As I remember it, when I had my Nissan Titan, I remember very similar horror stories about the diff. fluid being too low out of the factory. It was a common discussion in the Titan forums.

:duckie:

·
on line
564 Posts
Duck said:
As I remember it, when I had my Nissan Titan, I remember very similar horror stories about the diff. fluid being too low out of the factory. It was a common discussion in the Titan forums.

:duckie:
Yup, I had that exact same problem with my '05 Titan. It blew the rear diff with just over 600 miles on it. The stealer told me that the factory wasn't filling the rear diff fully and they weren't being checked by the dealer...nice! Oh well, I got a new diff out of it though.

Rob

·
on line
49 Posts
I just got around to checking my front and rear differential levels last night, after 9000 miles, and luckily, they were all full.

I was surprised, the rear diff was overfull - several ounces ran out after removing the fill plug - is this normal from the factory?

I also checked my transfer case, and it was full too.

mitt :compress:

·
on line
15,651 Posts
There are two things that can cause that.

1. the truck is not completely level.

2. If the diff was still warm it will cause pressure (that's what the breather tube is for). Even with the breather, there is still some pressure in the diff and it will cause gear oil to leak out.

·
on line
49 Posts
Muzikman said:
There are two things that can cause that.

1. the truck is not completely level.

2. If the diff was still warm it will cause pressure (that's what the breather tube is for). Even with the breather, there is still some pressure in the diff and it will cause gear oil to leak out.
I had both of those things. The truck was on a slight slope, and I had just got home from a short trip.

I will have to check it again cold & level, and make sure it is full enough. I imagine people on here just use the finger in the hole and feel trick to see if it is full enough?

mitt

·
on line
152 Posts
I’m about to go check my diff fluid levels and if they are low does it matter what type of gear oil I top it off with.
I know it is ok in today’s world to mix synthetic and mineral oil so it shouldn’t matter what I put in there right?
Or is the gear oil Nissan uses like their auto transmission fluid where they seal it off just so you can’t mix it?

The oil change after that I noticed that there were only bolts in every other hole in the stock front skid.
i got my oil changed at the dealer for some stupid reason and they got oil everywhere, and also forget to put back on the access cover on the skid plate that allows "easy" access to the oil filter. Only cost $24 but next time i think ill have to get dirty and do it myslef.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
When it comes to stuff like that, I would top it off with the same stuff that is in it from the factory. Go to Nissan and buy a qt. it's a bit pricey, but then you know you're ok.

·
on line
152 Posts
the front was a maybe a little low, im gonna check again somewhere flat as our whole apartment complex parking lot is on a slight hill ... guess ill get some from nissan just to be safe... thanks

1 - 20 of 25 Posts