Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my x is a 2015. Currently it has a 2 1/2 inch lift (suspension) that I had done shortly after I bought it.

Now it is time to replace the rear leaf springs (and the shocks as long as I am in there).

OME with their leaf springs/rear shock system seems to get excellent reviews.

What about Alcan? Made in the US, specializing in leaf springs--seems like a lot to like.

I got a nice quote from them: built with 3" lift and 700 lbs. over stock weight capacity.

Pros and cons of both? Looking to learn. Leaning towards Alcan. Wondering what rear shock would pair well with it.

Should I look at this as a time to replace the existing shackle? I don't want a 5" lift.

Sorry, all this is pretty new to me. thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Call Alcan and talk to them. If you have a 2 1/2 " lift already they can probably build you an exact replacement spring set.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you. Great suggestion. I was the one who suggested the 3". Makes sense that if they understand my setup, they can build accordingly.

Any thoughts on shocks to pair with them?

·
TNX Veteran
4,573 Posts
FYI my Alcans were orded at +4" lift and an extra 500lbs of load capacity. I feel like they have now settled into just over 2" of lift about 3 years/25k miles later. Alcans ride great & flex well off-road, but I am prob gonna try something different if I go to another spring set.

On the other hand, the guys I've seen with OME first-hand all say they hate how loud it is & that it is stiff. So between those 2, i'd prob go with Alcan.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I have read complaints on this board about every brand of rear leaf springs settling - and it makes sense when you think about it. The X uses very very short leaf springs. They have to comparatively flex alot for the same amount of travel as a longer spring would. The material properties of spring steel is the more you flex, the faster you loose your spring properties OEM, OME, Alcan, General Spring - search the board and you will find comments on every one settling in a year or two. It has to be the physics, everyone can't be crap. The only way around this is to buy a very heavy weight set, which simply means they don't flex as much and hence don't settle. Of course your ride will be crap.

How does this help you - no idea. But I would buy what you want today, with the plan that in 2 years your going to need to add some type of band-aid or fix.

·
Registered
2011 Pro 4X,Night Armor.
113 Posts
Dumb question, do only the ones that give lift settle ? If you buy Alcans with zero lift will they still settle and be lower? I plan on keeping my height stock but my springs are pretty rusty and I was looking at replacements. Alcan can do a stock replacement for just over 400 or make custom ones to keep stock height but add a couple pounds of capacity for just over 800. Not sure if it's worth it ?

·
TNX Veteran
4,573 Posts
Dumb question, do only the ones that give lift settle ? If you buy Alcans with zero lift will they still settle and be lower? I plan on keeping my height stock but my springs are pretty rusty and I was looking at replacements. Alcan can do a stock replacement for just over 400 or make custom ones to keep stock height but add a couple pounds of capacity for just over 800. Not sure if it's worth it ?
There are also TONS of threads about sagging/weak OEM leaf packs. Anything can settle. If you want stock height but a few more pounds, check out General Spring: 2005 - 2016 Nissan Xterra 4x4 heavy duty rear leaf spring, 4(3/1) leaf

Only $200 and pretty well reviewed here.

·
Registered
2006 Xterra S M6 and 2010 Xterra Off Road
158 Posts
200 each so 400 for the pair. Hmmm.
I have these on my 06 and it gave an inch and a half after a week or 2. They've been on about 10 months now but minimal driving(I bought a 2010 that is my daily now and my daughter drives the 06...). I am about to pull it in to the garage to do a RF wheel bearing. I'll take anotehr measurement to see if its settled in the last 10k miles or so. I will likely buy another pair of them. Cheap, quiet, high quality, american made. Quick shipping. They're not Alcans but at half the price I'm OK with that. Going to WentWindrock maybe I'll see the light on better leaf spring packs there. We shall see. My 2010 has factory leafs with an add a leaf from Nisstec. Its settled back to just about 1" lift...so suspect in next year or so I'll be swapping in new leafs on it. So far no hitting on bumps though....which the 06 did regularly.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any suggestions of Shocks to pair with the alcans? right now I have bilstein 5100s.

·
Registered
2011 Pro 4X,Night Armor.
113 Posts
I have these on my 06 and it gave an inch and a half after a week or 2. They've been on about 10 months now but minimal driving(I bought a 2010 that is my daily now and my daughter drives the 06...). I am about to pull it in to the garage to do a RF wheel bearing. I'll take anotehr measurement to see if its settled in the last 10k miles or so. I will likely buy another pair of them. Cheap, quiet, high quality, american made. Quick shipping. They're not Alcans but at half the price I'm OK with that. Going to WentWindrock maybe I'll see the light on better leaf spring packs there. We shall see. My 2010 has factory leafs with an add a leaf from Nisstec. Its settled back to just about 1" lift...so suspect in next year or so I'll be swapping in new leafs on it. So far no hitting on bumps though....which the 06 did regularly.
So does the back end sag now or was it higher to begin with ?

·
Registered
2006 Xterra S M6 and 2010 Xterra Off Road
158 Posts
So does the back end sag now or was it higher to begin with ?
It was higher than front before putting them on.

Measurements w/265/75s....

Front: 34 before, 36 after(2" spacers and new struts)
Rear: 34 1/2 before: 37 1/2 after. That's 1 1/2" on shackles and 1 1/2" from the springs.

I have not pulled my daughter's in to work on it yet...maybe tonight.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Xterra leafs are going to sag some over time.
I added PRG adjustable (not that I'd recommend PRG these days) shackles to my Alcans after about a year and a half. On the lowest setting they were just a touch higher than when my Alcans were brand new.

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Xterra S
643 Posts
I have OME. They are stiff and noisy. I spray them down monthly with some WD40 white lithium grease. I would go with All Dogs (ADO) next time or if I need springs again in the future. Specifically with their off-road oriented leaf packs, not the broverlander leafs since I do not carry much weight.

For shocks, 5100s are fine. If you want something good, maybe the 6112 (or whatever the 6000 series Bilsteins are) or radflos.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I have OME. They are stiff and noisy. I spray them down monthly with some WD40 white lithium grease.
To be fair, in my experience, any Xterra leaf with poly bushings is going to be pretty squeaky.
My Alcans squeak and groan no matter what grease/lube/etc you put on them.

That said, I've heard some horror stories about OME's popping an knocking. I don't have much of that with Alcans.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
OME leaf springs are the bottom of the barrel. I’d rather run completely sagged OEM springs over that junk any day.

·
Registered
2011 Super Black Pro-4X
24 Posts
EDIT: This was posted as a reply to the wrong person, and I couldn't find a way to delete it. See post #21, that's what was intended.

I think I am going to order some General HD springs. I just need to change the u-bolts ?
The stock leafs on my '11 Pro-4X seem to be sagging a bit, and these look like a good option to get 3" of lift economiclly.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts