Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who ordered u-bolts with your Alcan Spring spring packs, do you remember the dimensions of your u-bolts? I just got the email this morning and measured mine after work. I just want to double check my measurements before sending them in.

A. Diameter of the bolt thread: 7/16"
B. Inner distance of bolt legs: 3 1/4"
C. Bolt leg length (from inside middle of top): 6 3/8" this one was hard to measure with out taking it off, it might be 6 1/2"
D. Shape: round
E. Thickness of current (stock) spring pack: 1 5/8"

·
Registered
99 Posts
For those of you who ordered u-bolts with your Alcan Spring spring packs, do you remember the dimensions of your u-bolts? I just got the email this morning and measured mine after work. I just want to double check my measurements before sending them in.

A. Diameter of the bolt thread: 7/16"
B. Inner distance of bolt legs: 3 1/4"
C. Bolt leg length (from inside middle of top): 6 3/8" this one was hard to measure with out taking it off, it might be 6 1/2"
D. Shape: round
E. Thickness of current (stock) spring pack: 1 5/8"
I went with 9/16” ubolts from Alcan. Using my OEM length measurement and having Alcan calculate the new ubolt length based on the new leaf pack did not work. They cut them way too long. I had to cut an inch of new threads and cut them way back to get them work. For reference, with a + 500lb leaf pack I need a 7.5” Long ubolt.
If I had to do it again, I would have bought the Nisstech flip kit.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just buy the flip kit from nisstec, no worries of wrong u bolts or wrong length. You can zoom in on the picture and see the "extra" length with an aal is way more than you need. So using it with the alcans should be just right

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just buy the flip kit from nisstec, no worries of wrong u bolts or wrong length.
If I had to do it again, I would have bought the Nisstech flip kit.
That's two votes for the Nisstec flip kit. I was gonna flip the u-bolts anyway, might as well to it right the first time. Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
If I could go back I wouldn't get the u bolt flip kit, I'd get this.
I'd definitely consider switching to this myself. The U-bolt flip kit isn't the greatest idea when running Timbren's as there's potential of the u-bolts chewing up the bumpstops. Noticed part of one of mine a couple weeks ago was looking like it was hitting quite regularly :(

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd definitely consider switching to this myself. The U-bolt flip kit isn't the greatest idea when running Timbren's as there's potential of the u-bolts chewing up the bumpstops. Noticed part of one of mine a couple weeks ago was looking like it was hitting quite regularly :(
Good point. And I just put on a set of Timbren's... :thumbright:

·
Registered
99 Posts
That's two votes for the Nisstec flip kit. I was gonna flip the u-bolts anyway, might as well to it right the first time. Thanks guys!
If I could go back I wouldn't get the u bolt flip kit, I'd get this.

That’s what I did too. But if I had to do it over I would go with the flip kit. Less unstrung weight and more clearance. Plus If you go with Currie and use 9/16” ubolts, be prepared to modify the mount/skid plate so you can get a socket in there and tighten the bolts. That kind of pissed me off.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Hmm now I'm thinking of ordering the flip kit-

Alcan just emailed me about the U-bolts for my new leafpacks they're making- 800lb over stock weight though so I'm not sure what to aim for as far as lengths.

·
on line
2005 Nissan Xterra OR
922 Posts
Hmm now I'm thinking of ordering the flip kit-

Alcan just emailed me about the U-bolts for my new leafpacks they're making- 800lb over stock weight though so I'm not sure what to aim for as far as lengths.
Be advised that the threaded u-bolt rod comes in 2-in increments from Alcan. I wasn't aware of this when I ordered.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Alright I'll do that. Do you remember the specs of the u-bolts as far as the other stuff goes?

A. diameter of the bolt measured at the thread (Example 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8, ect.)
B. distance from inside of one leg to inside of the opposite leg, measured close to the top away from the open end. (example 2-1/2", 3", 3 1/4", 4" ect.)
C. distance from inside middle of the top to the end of the legs (example 6-1/2", 7", 8" ect.)
D. shape of the top (round, square, semi-round)
E. thickness of the current spring pack, measured close to the center bolt
F. quantity of each size needed. All u-bolts do not measure the same

As far as D-E goes, round, and I've got the aftermarket nisstec ones that are 7.75"- do you happen to remember the other stuff though? I can go check in a bit with my calipers but it's pouring outside so I'm trying to avoid it lol

·
on line
2005 Nissan Xterra OR
922 Posts
Alright I'll do that. Do you remember the specs of the u-bolts as far as the other stuff goes?

A. diameter of the bolt measured at the thread (Example 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8, ect.)
B. distance from inside of one leg to inside of the opposite leg, measured close to the top away from the open end. (example 2-1/2", 3", 3 1/4", 4" ect.)
C. distance from inside middle of the top to the end of the legs (example 6-1/2", 7", 8" ect.)
D. shape of the top (round, square, semi-round)
E. thickness of the current spring pack, measured close to the center bolt
F. quantity of each size needed. All u-bolts do not measure the same

As far as D-E goes, round, and I've got the aftermarket nisstec ones that are 7.75"- do you happen to remember the other stuff though? I can go check in a bit with my calipers but it's pouring outside so I'm trying to avoid it lol

A: 1/2"

B: 3 1/4"

C: 8"

D: Round

E: Just put "You tell me"

F: Complete U bolt replacements: 4 U bolts w/ all hardware.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts