Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since I found that my left rear leaf spring is a little tweaked, my next major mod is Alcans.

I havnt called them yet but I want to be educated so Im asking for..

1. Did anyone running Alcans order them with the orbital eyes or would that be too much flex for our driveline to handle?

2. What is your setup? IE What lift and spring weight did you order and what shackles are you running.

I have an AAL and PRG adjustable shackles that are currently at the highest (most lift) setting so I think Im gonna go 400lbs over stock (i dont overland but I do alot of rock crawling so I flex them out regularly) but Im not sure what lift height to get.

Looking forward to the discussion:eek:ccasion5:

·
Registered
941 Posts
1. I've never seen anyone run them on our trucks, even the big boys.

2. I did 3" over stock with 425lbs over stock. I run PRG shackles set to the middle hole

I went with 3" bc I plan to TS which is why I dropped the shackle lower.

Best thing to do is measure how much weight you typically wheel with in the back of the truck. Rear bumper w/tire carrier, I run my trail tools, a cooler, recovery gear, and usually some spare parts.

·
TNX Veteran
4,028 Posts
No on the orbit eyes.

Mine - 2.5" lift 500lbs over stock. Nisstec Shackles set to highest hole. Carry 130 lbs- 140lbs of stuff in the back all the time. maXTERRA Bumper with tire swing and jerry cans... and I pull my trailer, without hardly any sag.

First, go get you X weighed - front, rear, both, fully loaded like you drive it.

IMO you should get a little more lift than you think. i.e. if you are running 4"of lift now, get 3.5 or 4 front them and run your adjustables on the lowest setting.

I wish I had, because I'm constantly dropping the lower shackle mount on rocks while wheeling. If I had gotten a bigger lift from them I wouldn't have the shackles sticking out so far.

They do settle a bit, and make sure you give them a healthy break in period like they say to., and you'll love them.

Bill @ alcan is very chatty, and will talk you though it. Order directly from ALCAN.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
No orbitals for me. The polyurethane bushings are an upgrade over the OEM but they get squeaky if you don't keep the greased. I got 3" of lift and 400 lb over stock. I wish I had gotten a little more lift and little more capacity. The springs settled a little (compensated by using adjustable shackles) and I didn't take into account I would eventually Titan swap.
I agree with the above post too.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So as you know Im already T Swapped.

The AAL gives me about 2 inches but Im sure Im already sagging and my left side rides lower than my right due to the leaf spring being a little bent in front of the axle so its hard to measure heights.

I really dont carry much when I wheel other than tools and a few spare parts, cooler, and kids.

So what you guys are saying is that I should go with 4" of lift and maybe 450-500 over. Im worried that would give me a jacked up hot rod look and cause too much drive line angle. Did you guys have that?

Are you guys using axle shims? 3 or 4 degree?

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
The only person I know that has orbital eyes is TomsRedX, but he is limited on being able to add anymore height than what the shackles that are included offer.

I have 3inch 450 lb springs and PRG shackles on the lowest setting and Radflo shocks. I have another inch of height I can get out of the rear if I ever decide to change the front to a Tswap. Overall I am very happy with it, I can load up the truck and not worry too much about it sagging.

3 degree shims

·
TNX Veteran
4,028 Posts
So what you guys are saying is that I should go with 4" of lift and maybe 450-500 over. Im worried that would give me a jacked up hot rod look and cause too much drive line angle. Did you guys have that?

Are you guys using axle shims? 3 or 4 degree?
Get your X weighed. Front, Back, Both. It's how you'll (meaning bill) come up with that number, but 400lbs is probably close. As for the lift height 3.5 to 4 should be about right IMO....final adjustment with the shackles. they will settle a tad.

As for shims.... ALCAN's can actually tilt the pinion angle to far the other way. My shims are installed backwards, and 3 deg I think. Some guys don't even need shims.

45 day break in period, before you take them on anything serious.

·
TNX Veteran
3,690 Posts
I have a few issues with my Alcans. In the end, I wish I would have gotten something cheaper. I probably wouldn't have noticed a difference and could have saved myself $300 or so with OME Dakar or Deaver leaf packs or something.

1. No Orbitals

2. I got 3" Alcans at 350# over stock. I use PRG Adjustable Shackle on first hole (extended travel setup) but will move up to 2nd or 3rd hole after I finish Titan Swap. I was using 3 degree shims and didn't have any vibrations.

Issue #1 - My "3 inch lift Alcans" Only yielded about 2.25" of lift over my PRO-4x stock leaf packs. This is without the spare on the back and completely unloaded. This was inconvenient cus I was planning on keeping stock shackles at the time but ending up having to get PRG Adjustable shackles to compensate for the lack of height. Also, I am about .25" - .5" lower on my driver's side for whatever reason. Rear spare & fuel tank is over there, maybe that is why.

Issue #2 - It sagged more than I was expecting with weight in back:
All I can say is echo others. Get truck weighed and figure that "more is better" in terms of spring capacity. I wish I had done this. I made this thread about the sagging I got with gear in the back.

Sliders, Rear Bumper/tire carrier, and about ~300lbs of camping gear lost me about 1.5 inches. I was expecting to sag a bit but not that much. Combined with the fact that I only got 2.25" initial lift out of them, it means I sagged back to near-stock levels.

HOWEVER, I will say that when I don't have a bunch of **** in the back, they ride great. They were also easy to install and the bushings don't squeak. I'm sure if I got like 500# or something I would have a different tone. For now I have Helwig helpers to test out that I'm hoping will make me happy.

·
Registered
583 Posts
1. No orbitals

2. Mine were set at 4" of lift with 200# over stock. I carry very little gear that I already don't have in the back for daily driving, so the ride is great all the time. I think that they were too light, leaving the back end way too low. I now have PRG shackles on the highest setting with them to be level with my fabtech in the front. At 4" they caused no driveline issues or anything like that, but realistically probably sat at around 3-3.5" of lift once settled. In your situation I would recommend doing 3-3.5" springs and using the PRG shackles if you think it's too low so you can fine tune what height you want.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
To piggy back off of the thread to avoid making a whole new one:

For those who have bought alcans, did you use the stock bushing sleeve insert for the front hanger bolt or do the bushings that alcan use not need one?

·
TNX Veteran
3,690 Posts
To piggy back off of the thread to avoid making a whole new one:

For those who have bought alcans, did you use the stock bushing sleeve insert for the front hanger bolt or do the bushings that alcan use not need one?
It comes "bushed" on both ends. They are already installed - you don't even have to put them in yourself.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I noticed this Friday morning.

Further inspection revealed that both of my Add A leafs were broken straight through.

So I immediately called ALCAN and started my order.

How many of you ordered new U bolts to go with yours?

Are the new packs considerably thicker?

I already have the PRG U bolt flip kit and bash plate so I have relatively new U bolts that are already longer than stock. They have about an extra 1-1.5 inches left of thread left above the nut.

I dont really want to throw away any more money so I dont want to order new ones if I dont need them.

BTW, I went with 4" and +400 lbs

·
TNX Veteran
3,690 Posts
So I immediately called ALCAN and started my order.

How many of you ordered new U bolts to go with yours?

Are the new packs considerably thicker?

I already have the PRG U bolt flip kit and bash plate so I have relatively new U bolts that are already longer than stock. They have about an extra 1-1.5 inches left of thread left above the nut.

I dont really want to throw away any more money so I dont want to order new ones if I dont need them.

BTW, I went with 4" and +400 lbs
I ordered u-bolt flip kit from PRG with my order. Pretty sure you are not supposed to reuse ubolts ever though.

My packs (3" @ 350lbs) were 9-leaves and thicker than stock with AAL.

·
Registered
760 Posts
You've already ordered and got plenty of pre-order advice, but I haven't seen anything on an issue I've found. I put mine on in July 2016 and I'm surprised by the amount of rust that's developed on them. Anybody got advice on treating mine and preventive advice for OP?

btw, I got 1.75" of lift and 125 lbs. and they're on Nisstec shackles one 3rd hole, PRG bash plate on Nisstec flip u-bolts, no shims, no shake. Wish I would have gone with 2" & 400 lbs..... and treated them with something when I put them on/before winter.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I ordered u-bolt flip kit from PRG with my order. Pretty sure you are not supposed to reuse ubolts ever though.

My packs (3" @ 350lbs) were 9-leaves and thicker than stock with AAL.

So what your sayin is that the PRG U bolts fit your ALCAN spring pack?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts