Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
TNX Veteran
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Time for new leaf packs. Anyone have any thoughts (pro or con) about the Orbit-Eyes Alcan offers? Anyone using them?

Ok so before anyone slams me for not searching, I've abused myself already. That said, seems that all the posts are fairly old, and so I guess the pertinent question would be (for those of you who have them) How are they now? Are you still having to grease them (twice a week)? Your experience and input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Registered
901 Posts
I've looked into them quite a bit. They tend to get a bad rep, so I'd be surprised if anyone offered actual first hand experience.

For my personal armchair assessment, the advantages are more and smoother articulation, less wear on urethane spring bushings, etc. You've done some homework.

The disadvantage is the leaf springs hold the axle in place, by installing no resistance joints in the spring eyes you are decreasing the leaf spring's ability to resist the axle shifting sideways under an transverse load. In short, the axle will shift sideways when cornering.

Now, you still have the torsional rigidity of the leaf springs working for you, so it isn't like its going to flop from side to side, but the tendency to resist will be "less." The definition of "less" gets to the heart of the controversy. It's probably no worse than having a well worn set of urethane bushings. It's definitely more stable the stiffer you leaf springs are. It's also worse the more arch is in the spring at ride height (increased lever/moment arm). Lift from shackles shouldn't be a significant factor.

I didn't go that route because I got a deal on used Alcans and traded up from my OME's. If I had ordered direct from Alcan I would have tried the orbit eyes. If you are looking for a lot of lift (say 3+, from the springs) and very soft flex then you'll probably notice the back end is looser on the street-but then again you body roll would already be dramatic so you might not care. If you're looking for a more moderate lift and stiffer springs then you probably won't notice much.

Bottom Line: Do it.

·
on line
730 Posts
Well from when i was on the phone with Alcan and speaking with the owner he recommended that i get the regular poly bushings for a daily driver. He stated that the orbit eyes wore meant for dedicated rock crawlers, or some version there of :) ( its been two years since the convo )

·
TNX Veteran
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies.
I guess I should have given a little more info on my mods so far.
I'm fully Armored (Shrock Works and maXTERRA gear). 33's will be coming soon-ish, I have the Nisstec Ultimate Extended travel set up with adjustable shackles and Billstein 5100 2-4" shocks, sway bars removed Extended brake lines etc. I was sitting at 37.5" to the wheel wells nice and even, but the stock leaf packs with the ALL's have now flattened out by about 1.5".:( It is my daily driver, but I hit Moab about 3 times a year. Having read the posts about the Orbit -eyes from years ago, the folks who had them said tons of maintenance was needed. Not my idea of fun.
I'm actually looking to get back up to 37.5" in the rear after I've loaded it with gear, and I've ordered a VMI Canyon trailer to top it all off. see the link. http://www.vmioffroad.com/products/xtender-adventure-offroad-trailers/xtender-adventure-offroad-trailers-3.html.
My thoughts on the Alcan's are 3" and at least 450 lbs with adjustable shackes, but I haven't talked to them yet. The Orbit-Eyes look like a great idea, and they now own the rights to make them. I just don't want to have to mess with them constantly, but the added articulation of the leaf spring without stressing out the bushings would be cool. So I guess I'm really looking for those who have them, and what their experience is, because from what I've read, it's either one or the other due to the difference in the diameter and or width of the actual fitting / bushing mount, including custom width shackle from Alcan to accommodate the Orbit-Eyes.

Keep the info coming and thanks again.:rockin:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Got them on my frontier, guy at alcan warned me about possibly having slightly more body roll, he was right but I'm alright with it.

Got the springs 5 inches taller than stock

500 lbs over stock

4 orbit eyes

Had some spring boxes welded to the frame and some shackles made.

The orbit eyes are a little big so to have them put on I got a little more lift than I thought but I wanted a little rake anyways.

They flex nice but I got them probably a little stiff. But makes it nicer for hauling stuff.

·
TNX Veteran
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got them on my frontier, guy at alcan warned me about possibly having slightly more body roll, he was right but I'm alright with it.

Got the springs 5 inches taller than stock

500 lbs over stock

4 orbit eyes

Had some spring boxes welded to the frame and some shackles made.

The orbit eyes are a little big so to have them put on I got a little more lift than I thought but I wanted a little rake anyways.

They flex nice but I got them probably a little stiff. But makes it nicer for hauling stuff.
Got any pics? How is the articulation? Would there be any advantage to only getting 2 Orbit-Eyes on the Shackle end?

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Nice shot.
That trailer looks awesome.
What sort of ballpark price do they want for it?

Sort of on topic, I have +450lb Deavers with a PRG advanced kit and shackles. They suit my overland style well.

Also, they are about 0.6 miles away from my work so that was a factor.

·
TNX Veteran
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for the input.

Stock trailer (no Options) $24,000 Keeping in mind the one they pictured on that page is far from "Stock". The pictured one is also the first one of those they built. Wait time is is off the charts, I ordered mine months ago (just after the Overland expo in AZ) Still don't have a build date, but Mike from VMI says they'll start sometime in late spring. Their site does say (I forget where) expect to wait about a year. :(

I've been researching Teardrop trailers / off road trailers for 2 years, I nearly ordered a SoCal teardrop, when I decided to call VMI, Mike told me about a "new" trailer they were building. They hadn't announced it yet, and they had just started the build on the one you see in the link. So after many phone conversations, and e-mails back and forth it became apparent that this was the trailer for us. I really can't wait, but alas, I must.

·
TNX Veteran
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Orbit eyes are useless. They really offer no beneficial added articulation and they require maintenance on a regular schedule.
I've pretty much come to the conclusion that your right, and not worth whatever additional $$ I'd have to throw at it.

Thanks for the input.

·
on line
2,883 Posts
When I spoke to Alcan, he told me the same as Vladig. Poly bushings better for the daily driver, but mine seem to flex very well!

I'm extremely happy with them. 3" /500lb over stock

1 - 13 of 13 Posts