Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
TNX Veteran
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Destructive day at Brown's Camp in Tillamook State Forest, OR.

Did a trail called Firebreak 5 alone. Took me about 2.5 hours to go a mile and a half. SUPER Muddy hill climbs where the mud would not clean out without a lot of wheelspin (which I hesitate to do - you know that thing about breaking differentials and CV axles and all). Couldn't get any traction, not to mention that I was digging in and bottoming out anywhere. Ended up winching 4 times to get through.

At one point, I winched my truck forward but my muffler was caught on a rock and stayed in place. It ended up completely ripping my exhaust tubing off of the passenger side header. I basically had open headers for the entire 3 hour drive back home. It sucked and is gonna suck even more to replace lol

Here are a few pics of the trail:

So much of this kind of nonsense happening. Completely blocked by axle. I really want to move up my shock mounts.

·
TNX Veteran
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Awesome photos! Your appetite for nearly impassible trails is equally impressive.
Thanks! And TBH I just can't fathom being a poser with a vehicle as obvious as this. Since I hilariously dropped probably $15k of off-road parts on my rig, I make sure that I use everything that I have installed.

·
TNX Veteran
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Went to Gallagher Head Lake today with @MrBoJangles_91 who bought Bill Eirish's old frontier. Wow, that thing is freakin awesome! I'm a little bit jealous.

Anyway, couldn't make it to the top. Got to a part that was covered in only a couple inches of snow, but below it was 4" of ice. No studless/spikeless tire is getting passed that. Huffed it the rest of the way.

·
TNX Veteran
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Did a small 4-day trip around WA over the last weekend.

My camping spots:

Nothing too special. Explored NE Washington a bit which I haven't really in the past. TBH.... couldn't find much to look at lol. I was somewhat disappointed.

Did some off-roading at Walker Valley ORV first though.

Even mid-day it was so dark in the trees that the headlights were this visible:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Love the trip photos. Love your rig too, it's still probably my favorite setup I've seen. Daydreaming about my next rig I can't decide between another x and a frontier with a gull-wing bed replacement like the aussies do on their 79s. This thread is not helping.

Would you recommend those tires as decent year-rounders? The main thing I haven't been able to learn about them is how they are in light/moderate snow in traffic. Here near Salt Lake City they prefer not to plow between 6 and 9 am, which is exactly when science says a little snow is going to fall almost every day. I know you've said in the past this isn't your DD but I'm looking hard at the ATZ P3, especially with the 100 dollar rebate going on right now.

·
TNX Veteran
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Love the trip photos. Love your rig too, it's still probably my favorite setup I've seen. Daydreaming about my next rig I can't decide between another x and a frontier with a gull-wing bed replacement like the aussies do on their 79s. This thread is not helping.

Would you recommend those tires as decent year-rounders? The main thing I haven't been able to learn about them is how they are in light/moderate snow in traffic. Here near Salt Lake City they prefer not to plow between 6 and 9 am, which is exactly when science says a little snow is going to fall almost every day. I know you've said in the past this isn't your DD but I'm looking hard at the ATZ P3, especially with the 100 dollar rebate going on right now.
Awesome, thanks! I got the tires on rebate too. I all 5 of them came out to be around $1300 which was pretty hard to beat for a reputable tire in 35" size.

Re your snow question; have a look at this: Most Aggressive All Terrain Tires? I want Something that...

They are great in 3 seasons. Reasonable noise for their aggressiveness - better than an MT. Strong in the rain. Snow is "OK". Main thing is that they are predictable. If you want something this aggressive I would say they are probably good enough for occasional snowy road driving.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Awesome, thanks! I got the tires on rebate too. I all 5 of them came out to be around $1300 which was pretty hard to beat for a reputable tire in 35" size.

Re your snow question; have a look at this: Most Aggressive All Terrain Tires? I want Something that...

They are great in 3 seasons. Reasonable noise for their aggressiveness - better than an MT. Strong in the rain. Snow is "OK". Main thing is that they are predictable. If you want something this aggressive I would say they are probably good enough for occasional snowy road driving.
Right, I read that exact post the other day, already forgot it was you. I think I'm gonna do it. I was thinking duratracs maybe or the kanati ripoffs but something about them just screams that they could get out of control real quick in the wrong situation on the highway, and I suspect they drive weavy. Collision/rollover avoidance is important where I live and I've heard these are great in terms of handling. That's the main reason I'm not going M/T. Utah drivers are the worst I've seen anywhere. I don't strictly need something that aggressive but I've also limited my ambition based on traction and puncture risk. I'm more interested in being able to commute and get into the desert in the winter.

I'm clearly justifying it to you as a rehearsal for the woman I'm going to tell in a few minutes! Thanks for all your input on here, I tend to look forward to finding it.

·
TNX Veteran
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Collision/rollover avoidance is important where I live and I've heard these are great in terms of handling. That's the main reason I'm not going M/T. Utah drivers are the worst I've seen anywhere.

I'm clearly justifying it to you as a rehearsal for the woman I'm going to tell in a few minutes! Thanks for all your input on here, I tend to look forward to finding it.
If it is not too late, you can use this as further ammunition!

It's a bit long winded, but ultimately it talks about the sidewall design and how it applies to high speed maneuvering. This also sold me as well as I need every bit of stability I can get without my front sway bar. What's funny is I remember scouring the freeze frames of the video and was able to determine that the "unnamed competitors" it is going against are the Duratrac and the BFG KO2.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I watched that exact one yesterday! That might be the most accidentally great marketing video ever created. The MT guy is just sort of jetlagged and confused and the tester just gives it hell. And yes, the other two are absolutely GY duratras and Bfg kos. I don't know when k02 happened but this chopped them off the list for me. Funny, that video is from like 2015 and I had to get so deep in search results to find it I thought ti was even older. I look at that thumbnail and think of deciding to get off to pee in wyoming when the sign says "next exit 1800 miles"

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Xterra OR
777 Posts
I see you brought your bike, did you get to hit some trails at least?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
One of my favorite rigs of all time! Love reading and seeing photos of your trips. Awesome awesome pics! It seems like you're always out exploring and never home.. does your mom know about this lol? Do you even work bruh?? :p

As always.. thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
107 Posts
If it is not too late, you can use this as further ammunition!

It's a bit long winded, but ultimately it talks about the sidewall design and how it applies to high speed maneuvering. This also sold me as well as I need every bit of stability I can get without my front sway bar. What's funny is I remember scouring the freeze frames of the video and was able to determine that the "unnamed competitors" it is going against are the Duratrac and the BFG KO2.

Well, I pulled the trigger and bought them today. Deep sale, 145 apeice for 265s plus maybe the factory rebate. Unless they kick it back for poor sportsmanship.

I'm a little worried. Last time I had 4 matching tires I got t-boned twice in the 3 weeks I got to drive them, second one totaled my forester. Oh well. I'm 35, time to have grownup rubbers.

·
TNX Veteran
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Well, I pulled the trigger and bought them today. Deep sale, 145 apeice for 265s plus maybe the factory rebate. Unless they kick it back for poor sportsmanship.

I'm a little worried. Last time I had 4 matching tires I got t-boned twice in the 3 weeks I got to drive them, second one totaled my forester. Oh well. I'm 35, time to have grownup rubbers.
Congrats dude! Hope you like them!

One of my favorite rigs of all time! Love reading and seeing photos of your trips. Awesome awesome pics! It seems like you're always out exploring and never home.. does your mom know about this lol? Do you even work bruh?? :p
Ironic cus this was actually the first time I took 2 days of time off in a row in about 6 months! haha

I see you brought your bike, did you get to hit some trails at least?
Rode about 25 miles in 3 days. Pretty good amount for mountain biking!

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Xterra OR
777 Posts
His poor bike rack!

Interesting to see the locked diff difference going up the loose section.

Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

61 - 80 of 84 Posts