Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
TNX Veteran
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
...That's the hill I backed off of.... Nice job.

I like having one, good spotter.... Lot of opinions flyin' around there.
Haha. I don't blame you for backing off. I wouldn't have gotten close with 33's. Also I feel like this is your first post on this forum in about 8 months

·
Registered
759 Posts
Also I feel like this is your first post on this forum in about 8 months
Haven't done much to my rig in about 8 months other than general maintenance and new tires....and I know I can fit 33"s, lol, but I peek in now and again.

Got busy doing home remodel stuff and not as focused on the rig. I FB bc it's easier on phone.

·
TNX Veteran
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Some cool shots of the last week I spent at my family's vacation cabin near Roslyn, WA. Was able to work, mountain bike, and 4x4 every day and all of those trails were barely 10 minutes drive from the house to access. Gotta love remote work! lol

Lake Cle Elum Access:

Snowy Road Past Salmon La Sac towards Fortune Creek:

Sasse Mountain:

Flexing on a downed tree & winching buddy out of snow past French Cabin Creek area:

·
TNX Veteran
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
*Sry dial-up users*

Hit up Walker Valley ORV with @NWCoffeeGuy on Sunday. Camped out the night before and then went hard the next day. Probably had some of my most terrifying 4x4 moments ever in a few places yesterday. Not sure how much more of these I have in me lol

Camp Spot:

Park GateKeeper - this took a few tries:

First optional obstacle on the WRONG trail - no, I couldn't make it:

lol @ the paint left behind:

Tough downhill:

Slipped the wrong way and felt like I was going over. RIP Corner, could have been worse

NWCoffeeGuy rocky descent:

MAX FLEX (on the tire, too):

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hey Albatrosscafe, maybe you know the answer to this. A number of years ago, an old friend took me wheeling up to a fire-watch lookout with a radio antenna/cell tower somewhere around Rainier. Most people hiked up to it, but he knew a way to drive up there. It was a little hairy in places, since we were in a lifted Subaru, but the Xterra would make it no problem. I cannot, for the life of me, remember the name of that lookout, or exactly where it was. Any idea? I'd like to take my wife up there this summer but it's been eluding me.

·
TNX Veteran
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Hey Albatrosscafe, maybe you know the answer to this. A number of years ago, an old friend took me wheeling up to a fire-watch lookout with a radio antenna/cell tower somewhere around Rainier. Most people hiked up to it, but he knew a way to drive up there. It was a little hairy in places, since we were in a lifted Subaru, but the Xterra would make it no problem. I cannot, for the life of me, remember the name of that lookout, or exactly where it was. Any idea? I'd like to take my wife up there this summer but it's been eluding me.
There is "Sun Top Lookout" but that is driveable in a sedan up to about half a mile from the top, and then you hike the rest of the way. Maybe the road was worse back then? That's all I can think of. It is off highway 410.

·
Registered
156 Posts
There is "Sun Top Lookout" but that is driveable in a sedan up to about half a mile from the top, and then you hike the rest of the way. Maybe the road was worse back then? That's all I can think of. It is off highway 410.
Thanks. Someone figured it out for me on the NWX Facebook page. It was Burley Mtn. Maybe I'll take the family up to Sun Top also for a nice little hike.

·
TNX Veteran
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
Thanks. Someone figured it out for me on the NWX Facebook page. It was Burley Mtn. Maybe I'll take the family up to Sun Top also for a nice little hike.
No joke... I swear this was was NOT planned but I visited Gifford Pinchott National Forest for the first time (that I remember) last weekend. Was scanning the WA Atlas and saw "Burley Mtn." Spent the next 4 hours trying to figure out how to get there. The view did not disappoint!!

Clouds rolled in:

Mt. Rainier, Mt. Adams, and Mt. St. Helens are visible from here. No matter where you turn it is impossible not to see these massive beasts. Pretty cool spot.

·
TNX Veteran
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
From there ^^ I headed into White Pass and then up north via the WABDR all the way to Ellensburg. That is a pretty good haul for one day and 98% of it can be done in 2WD, but it is still fun. Fantastic scenery and more private than you expect. I like it cus my GF can drive and I can chillax a bit. Actually, more like she drives while I stand and ride on the back bumper ;)

Dunno how this guy got here... looked very recent. And how did he lose all 4 wheels so quickly?? :scratch:

·
TNX Veteran
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Camped at Van Epps pass this last weekend. Love the scenery at the top, and it is 10% as crowded as nearby Gallagher Head Lake. Trail is a bit harder and longer as well.

The Trasharoo combined with my buddy's tailgate cooking setup was perfect:

Where I slept for the night - 360 degree views of mountains!

My favorite chair spot:

More trail pics:

·
TNX Veteran
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
Ugh... is there no easy/clean way to insert pictures anymore? It always does it with stupid hyperlinks, or I have to download the pic to my machine and upload it manually (for each one - this will take me like 20 seconds per picture).

Went on a spontaneous road trip to Montana and had some decent pics if anyone still cares, but no easy way to show them. I don't like the format and it limits me to 5 pics like this. All of the scenic pics below are my camp spots:

Video of my a Blacktail Mountain ORV - I got high centered only to find out a soldered connector in my winch solenoid box had broken. I had to stand in front of the truck while holding the connector to the right spot, winching, and make sure i didn't get crushed all at once. I left the parking brake on about halfway.

Then I got clear and got high centered again like an idiot... LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoO8ojvtAYU

Edit: Doesn't look like it shows previews for YouTube either :(

·
TNX Veteran
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
what brand hammock are you using?
The hammock is some generic one I got during an Amazon special 2 years ago. Very similar to ENO hammocks. The sleeping bag part is the Inferno system by Sierra Madre Research: https://sierramadreresearch.com/products/inferno-system-tq-uq?variant=49708133204

I love it cus I can sleep in near-freezing temps (haven't tried below freezing yet) in the wind and stay perfectly warm without having to pack 1000 blankets or clothes. That's tough in a hammock. I would say I recommend it but I got the 0 degree system on Kickstarter for about $300. $300 was tough enough, I would never pay the current price of over $560 for a sleeping bag....

·
TNX Veteran
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Ran the Naches pass trail a couple weekends ago. SUPER muddy and slick. Hiked to a fire lookout beforehand. I always like how the back of the Xterra stays so clean.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts