Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1021 - 1026 of 1026 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
huh that's even more confusing! If your surface is lubed wouldn't you have to tighten it MORE not less?
If the threads are lubed up, they spin with less resistance. So less torque ended up stretching the bolt more, or physically tighter 'straight line pressure' between the 2 surfaces.
err.. something like that.

Reactions: AlbatrossCafe

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
If the threads are lubed up, they spin with less resistance. So less torque ended up stretching the bolt more, or physically tighter 'straight line pressure' between the 2 surfaces.
err.. something like that.
Makes sense I guess. This is interesting as well:

·
TNX Veteran
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,023 ·
Makes sense I guess. This is interesting as well:

haha I'm glad I saw that video. Rear lower shock bolts are 155 ft/lb torque spec. I set my wrench to 135 & didn't even hit that before I said "I feel like I'm gonna strip something" and stopped. I'm glad I've taken this truck apart enough that I have a good feel for what a certain torque feels like

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've been watching some videos of replacing the struts and UCA's in anticipation of doing my own upcoming suspension lift. On one video, when the mechanic pulled out the stock struts there was a rubber ring that sat on the top of the strut over the three mounting bolts, and under the shock mount. He advised replacing this rubber ring when the shocks are replaced.

When you replaced the stock struts with the Radflos, did you need to replace that rubber ring piece? Or do the Radflo's go in without it?

1021 - 1026 of 1026 Posts