Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

961 - 980 of 987 Posts

·
TNX Veteran
4,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #961
Also took out my front driveshaft, CV axles, and diff. I have a howling at 53-58mph and I want to know where it is coming from. I'm also trying to see if the diff is leaking. To help keep the hubs from separating, I borrowed an idea from here to use big 3/4" washers and bolt to hold them together in absence of the CV axles. Pretty neat idea!

·
Registered
‘06 Super Black S 5AT & ‘10 Knight Armor OR 5AT
946 Posts
Share where you bought all the brake hardware? I’m gonna do the same thing on the 2010 soon. I like how all that looks.

Did you swing by the Church and get that Holy Water yet? Lol!

·
TNX Veteran
4,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #965
How does it stop? I went with Hawk LTS pads and they have been really great.
Squishfest now. I didn't bleed and I think I might need to. But the Xterra brakes are always squishy, even after I bleed. I only really got a chance to break it in, and then I went home. I'll get back to ya on the review

Nice prerunner you got there.
It feels pretty stiff now in the front. Also I can't shift into 4wd low. I only tried once, but I wonder if not having a front driveshaft somehow affects that?

Share where you bought all the brake hardware? I’m gonna do the same thing on the 2010 soon. I like how all that looks.
You already know... RockAuto has everything. I tried auto parts store and stuff had to be shipped to the store, I would have had to go BACK to pick it up, it would have cost 2x as much....

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
It feels pretty stiff now in the front. Also I can't shift into 4wd low. I only tried once said:
I remember mine feeling stiffer without the front driveline too. As well as peppier acceleration. I cant recall about the 4lo though, I wanna say I engaged it but not sure. It may need some resistance on the output shaft and internal chain drive to engage. Could be just enough slop that the TC sensor thinks your moving.

·
TNX Veteran
4,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #967
Also cleaned this up and replaced the O-ring seal behind it. It's been a mess here so hopefully this cleans up AND reveals to be the reason behind what I thought was a leaky diff flange...

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
886 Posts
Should be, was the through bolt tight?
Mine wasn’t even hand tight and the oil filter was the only thing holding it against the block.

·
TNX Veteran
4,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #969
Should be, was the through bolt tight?
Mine wasn’t even hand tight and the oil filter was the only thing holding it against the block.
That's interesting. I wonder if the loosening the filter ultimately ends up loosening the through-bolt over time? That would make sense. There looked to be absolutely nothing wrong with the O-ring I took out, but also the through-bolt wasn't particularly loose. Either way, no drips after 100 miles so I'm callin it good

·
TNX Veteran
4,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #970
Swapped out my lower shock bolts in the front with some new ones and got new bushing sleeves on both sides. Also put my truck back together - no longer 2wd!

·
Registered
‘06 Super Black S 5AT & ‘10 Knight Armor OR 5AT
946 Posts
Echo. lol.

·
TNX Veteran
4,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #973
Had the first sign of some serious snow in the mountains last night, so I headed to our family cabin. Looking forward to testing the X and these new tires in some snow!

Very cool distinct snow line on the approach:
[IMG]

Local roads:
[IMG]

Oh yeah, and I was towing a snowmobile. For some reason I thought it was a good idea to try to climb up our 15 degree + long driveway without checking it first... failure! I had to unload the snowmobile and try to back up - but every 10 feet or so I had to get out and pull the trailer left or right to straighten it out.
[IMG]

Ditched the trailer, aired down to 12 PSI, and clawed my way to the top:
[IMG]

Playing with RC Scout... probably foreshadowing my future:
[IMG]

·
on line
241 Posts
That looks amazing! A family mountain cabin is my dream, but I had to live in freakin Texas... I hope you enjoy it enough for the both of us!

By the way, I gotta say I love how you blacked out the "buns" on your grill burger emblem. I'm absolutely gonna steal that idea!

·
TNX Veteran
4,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #976
That looks amazing! A family mountain cabin is my dream, but I had to live in freakin Texas... I hope you enjoy it enough for the both of us!

By the way, I gotta say I love how you blacked out the "buns" on your grill burger emblem. I'm absolutely gonna steal that idea!
haha. Maybe you can one up me with a nice villa on the gulf coast...?

It's actually simpler than that. It's a "Nissan" fender badge from an old 80's hardbody pickup. I removed the stock logo and just double-sided taped that one on there. I was never really a fan of the hamburger logo. The new one they unveiled this year is an improvement, though.

·
TNX Veteran
4,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #977
I hit a BIG branch going about 15mph. It went right into my snorkel. Needless to say I'm impressed. I'll take this as the only damage that comes out of it. I bet the plastic pieces are in my airbox somewhere lol

·
TNX Veteran
4,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #978
Swapped my winter tires to my last set of OEM wheels after giving them a paint-refresh to help cover up the marring from offroad. Then I officially retired the all-terrains for 2020. It looks so weenie without them lol

961 - 980 of 987 Posts