Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

901 - 915 of 915 Posts

·
TNX Veteran
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #902
Alright. Here's the final reveal. This is prob gonna be the last time you guys see these wheels clean :LOL:

Initial impressions on wheels: I picked them cus they were still +10mm offset. It adds about 0.8" width per side. I wish these came in 20mm offset. I don't like the extra width. Other than that, they look amazing. This will be my first set of wheels without any added orange.... might have to remedy that somehow (lug nuts maybe?)

Initial impressions on tires: The tires are amazing so far. They are 7lb lighter per tire than last set. Wheels weigh the same. I notice the lightness when accelerating. They are also load range D vs E, and for sure softer on the road bumps. As far as road noise, they are quieter than the mickey thompsons (even when the MT's were new). I'm hoping they don't get much louder as they wear. And best of all, they still look plenty aggressive to me. Excited to try them off road this weekend.

·
TNX Veteran
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #904
Got into a really annoying predicament yesterday. Was on a trail that was REALLY narrow. It was open to cars/trucks but really should have specified "only 2-door old-school vehicles". Well I learned this after it was far too late. One of those spots where you can't back up and you can't go forward.

It was way off camber, with a big slippery root on the HIGH side that further wanted to slide you to the low side. And of course on the low side was a tree. I respositioned myself about 15 times but eventually I just had to basically say "eff it" and grin & bear the damage while going forward.

Luckily, all the damage was on my door. Unluckily - this was supposed to be my clean side. It could have been much worse!

bonus: First off-road test of tires and they performed admirably. Check out that flex in the last pic!

·
TNX Veteran
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #906
Ouch man... on the bright side you didn't loose a window... Guess it's time to whip out the old nail polish and mix up that green color again...
haha good memory. I actually have a color match/repair kit that my parents got me for christmas a couple winters ago. I'm gonna give it a shot I think. I'm hoping I can't make it worse...

·
TNX Veteran
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #908
Replaced my passenger side valve cover today. I wanted to both but ended up working on this one for about 5 hours. It was daunting at first but in the end really not that bad. ChrisFix has a great video that steps you right through it. I bet I could do it again in about 2-3 hours. This was to fix oil getting into my #6 spark plug, as well as small oil drip (about 1 drop every couple days).

Ran it for 10 min after the RTV dried today. Seems to not leak....? Let's hope!

One recommendation - I wish I would have washed my engine compartment first. Was stressful trying to work around the dust!

·
TNX Veteran
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #910
Well this was kind of scary and terrible timing... but today my X started to cut off randomly while driving. It was stuttering at first, but then would be fine for 50 miles. Well all of a sudden it was dying very frequently so I was trying to limp it to the auto parts store where I could get to a code reader. Made it about a block away before it wouldn't start, and of course it was at an intersection! My girlfriend jumped in the driver seat and steered while I pushed. Funny enough, she couldn't turn the 35s without the engine on so I had to run up first and help her crank it all the way. Lol

I say terrible timing because I had just done my 100k service as well as swapped the valve cover. I checked tranny fluid, oil, etc. hoses, plugs, etc. for anything I might have forgotten. All looked good. Then I was like "oh no, did I drop a paper towel or something into the engine??"

Got the code and it turns out it was the all-too-familiar P0335 code AKA "Crankshaft Position Sensor". Ran a block to the auto parts store, picked up a new NAPA sensor and a 1/2" drive swivel socket and got it swapped out in about an hour. Thank god for these forums....

I guess now that I've reached 100k I have to start carrying these spares in the truck now!

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Thanks for the very detailed "how-to" to change out the sensor. So you just basically jam yourself under the wheel well and in about an hour, it's done? :p

I'm seeing those problem more and more coming up on the forum, guess I need to order mine soon as a spare since I'm at 140K.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Glad you got it all figured out! I carry spare cam shaft sensors, crank shaft sensors, fuses to the important bits and coils. Dreading the day this decides to go on me on a road trip or something but i'll be prepared to fix it hopefully.

·
TNX Veteran
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #914
I found out my new cooler (Yeti 65 - birthday present) fits perfectly in the back alongside my Rigid crates/boxes. It actually helps brace them and prevent them from sliding around and tipping over. I really love this setup for camping! Between the ceiling net, the boxes, the cooler, molle panel, and the trasharoo, everything is easy to get to and fits together like a puzzle.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I found out my new cooler (Yeti 65 - birthday present) fits perfectly in the back alongside my Rigid crates/boxes. It actually helps brace them and prevent them from sliding around and tipping over. I really love this setup for camping! Between the ceiling net, the boxes, the cooler, molle panel, and the trasharoo, everything is easy to get to and fits together like a puzzle.

I got a dog this summer and it turns out a crate that’s a little big for s very small Brittany is exactly the right size to friction-fit my other totes, coolers, firewood and tools. He needs to be up behind the seats, close to us so he’ll absolutely burn if we wreck but the sliding is over.

I read about the sensors on here a few months back. I did the passenger cam when I did my plugs a couple months ago and got the crank and left cam to store in my zip tie and band aid box. Should have also done the right side coils since number one took a long nap this morning, but that’s a different story. I have 2 spares I just hoped idiotically number six was the one on deck.

I have indirectly dreamt about your rig a couple times this week, and these photos are not helping. for some reason my bored brain is really hot for 35s despite the very sexy 32s I just got and really like. I keep reminding myself that it doesn’t matter what the rubber costs, I can’t regear. I think it’s because my girl just got a 18 frontier and legitimately needs to build it for work. I’m trying to plan out the stages for her but every time I pencil it up I can’t think clearly because of the voice screaming “35s make sense!!!” So thanks for that. Are they overrated? Probably maybe. Do they look like what the x and frontier was supposed to be born with? Also yes.

901 - 915 of 915 Posts