Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

881 - 900 of 915 Posts

·
TNX Veteran
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #881
Had previously duct-taped my air dam down after the 4 rivnuts holding it in were spinning. It worked great for about a month until rain chipped away at it and it randomly started flapping on the highway which nearly ran me off the road I was so scared. With tape residue on there, nothing stuck. So I had to suck it up and bolt the air dam down again.

The 4 original holes had ground off drill bits. They were already sealed so... wasn't gonna mess with that. I drilled 3 new holes and used a new rivnut tool instead! I used gorilla glue around each rivnut to help make sure it doesn't spin and help with waterproofing. So far, it seems to have worked great.

It looks messy when you are up there but for 97% of people who only look at my X from the ground level you would never know.

Luckily, all the work is hidden!

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Those roof rivnuts (nutserts)!
I tried doing a little, had body shop do a lot, they messed up, redid, I redid theirs...then decided to deal with the no more.

Front side ones were my issue, not front. Mine fronts now hold the light weight lights with original M6 bolt. It doesn’t rain here to test but monsoons are coming so that will be a leak test.

Your solution works great, no leaks, all good!

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Looks like my passenger diff flange might be leaking. Just had those seals replaced when I regeared about 25k miles ago. Any idea why they might be messed up again so soon?

Have you blown out the breather line?
I just swapped my front diff. and put new seals in.
I blew out the breather line just to make sure I didn't create leaks in my seals prematurely.

·
TNX Veteran
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #886
94% sure I had Nissan OEM seals, and they were installed with my regear.

Have you blown out the breather line?
I just swapped my front diff. and put new seals in.
I blew out the breather line just to make sure I didn't create leaks in my seals prematurely.
Heh..... that might have something to do with it. Added a filter to mine and it looks like this currently:

·
TNX Veteran
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #887
And to pile onto this, I ripped my first tire yesterday! Didn't even do anything memorable. Literally was the first 5 min in the ORV park and was just rolling through the "staging" area. Must have gotten unlucky on a root. It's a bout a 4" tear on the inside of the sidewall. Hooray! 😃

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Xterra OR
845 Posts
If that's the first tire tear with all the wheeling you do I would consider that a win!

·
TNX Veteran
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #890
not a lucky year for you lol! At least you're out, I've not had a chance yet.
Dude come on... it's July already

If that's the first tire tear with all the wheeling you do I would consider that a win!
For real. I've watched as rocks & roots dig into my sidewall bead and I keep spinning and nothing happens. It was inevitable.

·
NewX’er 4life
2,522 Posts
Dude come on... it's July already

For real. I've watched as rocks & roots dig into my sidewall bead and I keep spinning and nothing happens. It was inevitable.

They locked down all the trails until mid June and I worked two Saturdays, it's depressing it's already July lol! I'm planning on going on the 17th finally, and finally picking up my trailer the following week. Going to go out with a bang with the season at least!

·
TNX Veteran
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #892
If I may, I suggest getting limit straps. Set up correctly they will prevent destroying the internal bump stops on your shocks.

The hardest part is fabricating a mount for the lower attachment on the LCA. I have a block of steel the is drilled tapped and welded to the LCA. (thanks @MaxTERRRA).

Makes ton of difference.
What do you mean by "makes a ton of difference" btw? Do you notice less clunking?

I still need to do this. Been looking online at brackets. But I would like to manage my expectations. I have a big clunk when my front suspension tops out and I would like to know if something like this got smoother for you.

·
TNX Veteran
4,149 Posts
What do you mean by "makes a ton of difference" btw? Do you notice less clunking?

I still need to do this. Been looking online at brackets. But I would like to manage my expectations. I have a big clunk when my front suspension tops out and I would like to know if something like this got smoother for you.
I have no topping out clunk now. You set the limit straps to be tight and fully engaged before the shock tops out.... it takes a few minutes with a bottle jack compressing and then letting it go, and just adjusting the limit straps until you get it right.

So yes, it will help, if not completely save your shocks.... at least from that particular thing.

The fabrication of the block, and getting the angle for the adjuster tube welded on is the most important part. You sure as hell don't want that thing coming off.

·
TNX Veteran
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #894
Nearly done with 100k mile maintenance. Got hung up with spark plug #6 because it had oil on it. Of course, the valve cover replacements are on back order. Grrr....

New tires and wheels on tomorrow at least!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I did my 200k maintenance over the course of the spring and my #6 was more fouled than the others, no oil just a bad burn prob.

Excited to see the tires, curious what you went with. And did you just get tired of the wheels? You were pretty proud of those puppies. I actually just told my gf about their paint job today, she just got a 2018 frontier yesterday and we're trying to figure out what to do with it first after rubber. It has those wheels and they are too dang bright. She didn't bite on painting them though.

I just got the Baja ATZ you've been running on my x. I gave them a hard workout the other day and they did great but there's no chance she's going to get what I have. we're leaning towards Yoko mt 003s. I was about to grab them but found a deal on the mickeys I could not pass up. We're both sticking with 32s for now. I lifted my x three inches* all around this month and you were right with what you told me year ago: it doesn't look too bad at all. (* when I lowered her down the first three days the lift was 3.5 in the back and the front was almost 4 over stock numbers. THAT looked hobo. After a good wheeling it's dropped to just over three. Hope it keeps going, 2.5 was my goal in front for a little rake.)

Thanks for the update however mundane. Love me some green machine.

·
TNX Veteran
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #896
@careyj I'll reveal wheels/tires in a bit ;)

I really like my current wheels and the Mickey Thompsons, but I am sick of E-rated tires. Unfortunately Load Range D tires don't really exist with 35" diameter and 16" wheel size. It's all E or more which are pretty stiff. I'm getting 17" wheels which give me more options. The tires I ordered are Load Range D and about 7lbs less per tire, so I'm hoping for 1mpg better on the highway and a nicer ride at full PSI.

Honestly, if I didn't slash my 5th mickey thompson on a root, I would have kept them for at least another year. They are a fantastic tire. I just like to try everything :) I am keeping the wheels though to put them under my winter tire set!

·
Registered
116 Posts
That makes a lot of sense, when I was shopping I wondered if the "8-ply" wasn't the best compromise. The e rated are like hammers on the chassis. I don't mind the stiffness really, and the MT's are actually a lot softer than the dynapro ATM I had, but what scares me a little is the braking sluggishness. Just a few pounds is really noticeable. I switched out to metallic pads just to get a little more grab. Looking forward to the big reveal.

·
TNX Veteran
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #899
Well, I need lug nuts (arriving Wednesday) but here is preview part 2. Black Rhino Duggers with 315/70/R17 Dick Cepek Trail Country EXP's.

This tire really isn't too different from what I had. Same parent company, similar class, same compounds.. they pretty much compete with each other directly. I think I like the tread on the Dick Cepek better but the sidewall design on Mickey Thompson better. The MT sidewall seemed to offer a bit better protection.

This is what the tire shop left for me to take home lol. Good thing it all fit in my parents' F150! I left my truck on jackstands cus I didn't trust the shop to put them on without marring the wheels.

The Mickey Thompsons were always a little short compared to other 35s, as is evident here.

These rash rings were kind of a PITA. 20 bolts in each one times 5 tires = lot of effort. I would not want to do this without power tools!

Done! I'm hoping these wheels don't end up like my last set. Gonna keep these and repaint them for my winter tires. They should stay a lot nicer there.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Looks nice. I think I like the thompsons a little better but I've seen the EXPs on some broncos around town and they looked pretty dope on those. The wheels are awesome, love that pattern.

Odd that the thompsons are short 35s. The 32s are about the tallest around.

881 - 900 of 915 Posts